6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2016 4:22 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Decent pub near Marriott County Hall, London, UK

gaspemic Member
Currently Being Moderated

We are set with evening Locations for dinner, but lunch ist something I like to take upstairs at a decent Pub - so what do you suggest for this Location near Westminster Bridge? I know this can be hard since it is right in the middle of a number one tourist hot spot :-) Any suggestions welcome"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
Marriott hotel
Marriot County Hall
  • Re: Decent pub near Marriott County Hall, London, UK
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

TO find these places its best to type them into Google.

IF you cross the bridge, St Stephens Bar is opposite Big Ben and the Red Lion near Downing St are both popular.

Instead of crossing the bridge however you could stay on the same side as the County Hall and walk away from the bridge down Westminster Bridge Road to its junction with Waterloo Road you will find The Forest of Flowers pub. I used to go there quite often during the 1990's, a proper old Courage pub, My search indicates it's still open and now serves decently priced pub grub. Probably your nearest ordinary London boozer, but quite the hike from County Hall. You will pass other pubs on the walk there.

Another option is to head for the 2 chairmen, one of Londons oldest pubs named after those that carried the 17th century sedan chairs. Prices will definitely be higher than the Flowers but it's a good atmosphere and as I was there just a few months ago, I can vouch for its tasty pub grub. It's a shorter walk than the Flowers too.

OF course get onto the Tube and make your way to the East End for some very traditional pubs, the Blind Beggar, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, and the Olde Mitre to name but a few. Ask for a pint of bitter, hand pulled, flat and warm... mmmmm!

Finally, and for your interest have a look at this site, lots of London stuff and the page I've directed to you shows London Pubs past and present allowing to use a slider to compare the aspects of the perfectly aligned old sepia pictures with the up to date ones... fascinating - East London pubs then and now – Old and new photography galleries – Time Out London

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gaspemic Member

Wow what an answer - since London ist not the easiest place to find decent Pubs just by Walking in this will help a lot - thx so far

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

gaspemic,

Here are my favorites after staying at County Hall many times!  Do take brightlybob's suggestions as well, he is a wonderful chap!

fullsizeoutput_28cd.jpeg

Black Friers is an interesting place to enjoy a pint!  short walk!

fullsizeoutput_297.jpeg

No place like this!  Close to Trafalgar Square, The Sherlock is memorable!

_DSC9166.jpg

Don't forget the pub at County Hall, wonderful place!

fullsizeoutput_666.jpeg

The Ritz Bar is one of the finest in The WORLD!

fullsizeoutput_9e.jpeg

The oldest place to dine/drink in London, well worth it!

IMG_0285.JPG

A favorite is The Audley for both pub food and classy drinks.  Near the US Embassy and The Marriott Grosvenor!  Great Place!

IMG_0260.JPG

The Albert is a classy pub, just walk across the bridge, go South, past Parliament, on the right side.  Good food!

Enjoy, and let Nic, The Concierge at The hotel help you with recommendations, and tell him Hello from me!

gaspemic Member

Thanks a lot and all this will be a good Basis to selected or daily lunch and maybe after theatre drink Options :-)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

gaspemic,

Here are a few more nearby!

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

Hungarian food and drink at it's best!  Just North of Trafalgar Square!

IMG_0283.JPG

A great pub, across the street from Harrods's!

IMG_0242.JPG

The Beaujolais, is a short walk just North of St. Martins on The Field.  A wonderful French place, ask for owner Jean-Claude, he enjoys MRI guests!

Enjoy!

peymanagement Platinum

gaspemic, great answers from two traveled experts. Venture out, I have not found many disagreeable pubs in central London. I do love the pint of bitter, pub food is great.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...