27 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2016 11:42 PM by insertcoffee RSS

Ugly "New Rooms"

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone else feel like they've just booked into jail when they enter their "new room"? Stayed at the beautiful, well, used to be beautiful, Falls Church Marriott in VA and was horrified by the rooms makeover (they haven't destroyed the foyer yet). All a dark greyish brown, the exact color of the box of the supplied Thien soap, and the exact color of the metal vent cover - gee, now it all blends together - is that why they chose that drab, depressing color with no relief save one lime green pillow? The second night I checked out early, couldn't stay the night, I literally felt like I was buried alive, in a dirt cave. The hall ways, and the carpet have been similarly made lifeless - joyless. So sad. The artwork, a manufactured giant crooked, violent bolt of lightening, was disturbing, hanging over the bed threateningly.The colors before were wonderful - soft, saffron yellow and a rich coral - warm, welcoming and soothing. Is this a communist plot? I dream in color, and do not want to live, and pay for, a dismal grayish brown, colorless life. If everyone complains maybe they'll redecorate all of these "neutral" new rooms, but I doubt it unless they see a drop in customers. Until then, I'll vote with my pocketbook. Of course, some of you will like it - you are welcome to it. I genuinely loved coming into my room there, everything about it, now I cannot even go there. Feel like I've lost a friend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Falls Church, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park
  • Re: Ugly "New Rooms"
    seachi Platinum

No pictures to share? Regardless, we've all seen cheap renovations. The pictures on Google Images don't look bad thought.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews

The pictures on the hotel website look much brighter than in reality to me. I know this is subjective, and maybe other people really like this no color scheme, to me it is truly depressing.

insertcoffee Platinum

I've never been booked into jail, so, no, I don't get that feeling.

I can't really tell if this is an avant garde monochromatic theme, and you just don't care for it, or what the issue is.

Does it look like the colour scheme at this Marriott?

Hotels in Uptown Charlotte | Charlotte Marriott City Center

There's a big difference between cheap makeovers, and ones which are just unappealing for one reason or another to an individual. Not certain which camp this one is in.

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews

Click on "Rooms" at the Charlotte Marriott City Center and then sit back and take in the overall color and you'll see what I mean. Very drab, colorless scheme. It seriously makes me think of a communist state, of the movie 1984, where everyone wears grey pajamas and there is no artistic expression allowed. I realize this is just me - that's why I asked if others felt the same way. By the way, I went down to the front desk and asked if there were any rooms left that hadn't been renovated yet so I could move to one of them, and the young lady quietly agreed with me that the new colors were awful.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I frequent the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church several times a year and happen to like the remodeled rooms.  Here are a couple of pics of a Corner King room that I took one night after check in.

20160212_205921.jpg

20160212_205938.jpg

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Ugh, sorry vaboywnder but that is one of the brownest rooms I have ever seen. I wouldn't want to stay in that for a week. No, not at all!

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews

brightlybob - believe me, these rooms are dark! The pictures vaboywnder posted above are with all the lights on. The shadows are deep and cold with only a little light on, and for many people, such as your own bright self, not a cheery place at all. The only art work is that hideous, painful looking jagged nerve or lightening bolt hanging over the bed - what the heck is that? Maybe they think it's a tree limb but why so ugly? The grounds of this hotel are beautiful, like being in a park, with a lovely elongated fountain with large bronze leaping salmon, and there is even a small lake you can walk around right across the road. I really loved this place. Now, going into your room you feel like you are a bug crawling into a hole.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Thats what struck me, brown carpet, walls and furniture, with a picture that resembles a tree root. it looks like some square hole in the ground

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews

I'm not a mentally disturbed person at all, but when I posted that I couldn't stay there the second night, which I had booked and planned on doing, I was not kidding, because the room made me feel claustrophobic, closed in. Also, for anyone with any kind of pain - emotional, psychological or physical - and often people stay at a hotel to be near a loved one in a hospital - that piece of "art" is not helpful at all.

seachi Platinum

Tough crowd here. I actually like the look in the post by vaboywnder and see it across other properties such as Detroit. I find the room color scheme calming.

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews

seachi - I really don't mean to be tough about this at all. This is a good discussion about how people feel about these rooms and I'm glad you like them. The fact that I can't stand them is just my perspective (and at least one other person - brightlybob, seems to feel the exact same way.) I respect your opinion and realize that taste is very subjective.

seatexan Platinum

The JW Galleria did something similar but in grey/blue/white tones and it looks amazing. To me, this is the "brown" version and I don't care for it as much. It's much better however than the before reno pics.

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews

Thanks for posting these pictures.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Your welcome.  I did take these pictures about 10pm after I just checked in.  I like taking room pics after I check in before I get a chance to mess up the room.

You are right at night the room is dark but there is large windows that allow a lot of natural light during the day.  I've seen similar color schemes at Restoration Hardware which is very popular with many modern designers. To me it is a great improvement as the room is more functional now than before with additional electric outlets,usb ports and a new HD tv.

Overall this is a great property in the area.  One of the few places that offers free parking and great rates.  The hotel grounds are well kept.  On the weekends Gold and Platinum Members get access to a free full breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant.

Side note: The nearby Fair Oaks Marriott in Fairfax has a similar color scheme and some of their rooms are even darker especially the inner rooms that overlook the hotel's indoor courtyard.   Those inner rooms do not get any natural light during the day and you have to use lights in the daytime.

monisame Platinum

Not bad. I like it. ... If you  open the curtains and add a wonderfull view it is ok.

seatexan Platinum

I am not a fan of browns in the design world unless the material is organic, like wood.  And even then you can over do it.  Who posted the photo of the Marriott something or other Walnut? nationwide was that you?  And the uncomfortable seat belt chair?  What is up with these cave link rooms?!

When a hotel does a reno, they NEED to really think LONG term.  How long will it take this look to date? to feel worn out? What is in style now, won't be in about 5 to 6 years and interior overhauls are usually every 10 years. 

There certainly isn't anything fresh about brown carpet. If they would have pulled the lighter tones from the carpet colors and put those on the wall that might have lightened up the space.  I don't really mind it but it is rather dark.

I went to TripAdvisor and checked out the before reno photos and it was very much time to update.  I'd have gone a little more "fresh" in the new look however... bring in some of that beautiful park...and not with just a green throw pillow. ;D

nationwide Platinum

SeaTexan, it was the Walnut Creek Marriott that had recently been redone, predominately in browns, and horribly uncomfortable furniture.  I couldn't find the thread to paste it here, but will try to do so later on. 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I've stayed in one of the renovated rooms at this very hotel and actually liked the decor.    The window let in a lot of light during the day, so the room wasn't dark at all.  At night, I find all hotel rooms are dark, irregardless of design, color, and decor. 

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I find they grey colors quite soothing, like a rainy winter day. makes me want to hop into bed under a warm comforter sipping on hot coffee. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

That is exactly what it felt like when I stayed there.  It actually was conducive to our situation the first day, as we arrived on a red eye.  It was a perfect place for crawling in bed at nine o'clock in the morning and taking a 3 hour nap!

annew20 Silver

I believe the term is "greige" meaning part grey & part beige.  Some of the model homes are professionally decorated in greige & look beautiful with accents of color in the paintings, pillows, accessories.  However, in Vaboywnder's photo of the Marriott room it does appear too monotone.  Not enough pop of color to brighten the room.  However, I can see how it can be very calming after a stressful day of work or play.

seatexan Platinum

It looks more brown than grey to me... photos and lighting can be deceiving when it comes to color.

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews

lol I forgot to mention how uncomfortable the half sofa thing is. If you sit on it like a chair you have no armrest for your left arm, and your right arm is up rather high if you rest it on that high end. If you stretch your legs out you still have no place to rest your arms. On top of that it's not much of a cushion either, not something you can sink into or relax on. Really liked the soft chair and ottoman that used to be there (I used to sit there and read) - the half sofa thing (I know, a chaise lounge whatever) can only be perched on. The new desk chair is not particularly comfortable either, for me anyways. I've never complained or criticized anything so much in my life, folks, really.

seatexan Platinum

LOL it's ok, I sure bet it was a real shock to walk in there seeing the new look as you enjoyed the previous one so much. 

motel66 Gold 1 Reviews

lol yes, I'm still recovering from the trauma . . suffering with PTSD.

insertcoffee Platinum

It is not a 'half sofa thing'-- it is a modernistic interpretation of a chaise lounge, which is purpose-built with only one 'arm'.

While I can see your points about the colour scheme, for me, they're fine and more importantly, they are unobtrusive. See many examples of hotel greens, for instance, the fondness for periwinkles and a cheap celedon or sea foam, for something that is in fact really ugly, and looks like it was clawed directly from 1972.

Hotels need to have the ability to not easily show dirt and wear readily. They succeeded in that. And while some folks may not like the scheme, it is neat and trim, and is calming.  I wouldn't consider this an aspirational property, so the colour scheme for me is less important than it would be for perhaps an RC or similar.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

About a year ago, we stayed in a newly renovated room at the Falls Church Marriott property.  I must agree with you that the new decor is indeed not very cheerful nor does it align with my personal taste.  Additionally, the new couch seemed to be a piece of furniture that was cheaply constructed, however having said that... the property is located in a beautiful setting (in my opinion) with the beautiful tall trees, the lobby is still fun, the restaurant serves a stupendously awesome breakfast buffet on weekends (comp. for golds/plats), the service is excellent all around, the indoor/outdoor pool is neat and so is the courtyard/garden, and parking is - free!  At $71-$89/night (the least and most we've ever paid to stay there), we love it!  We also don't spend much time in the room.  Will be back there next weekend, in fact and look forward to it (as well as seeing our east coast friends vaboywnder and eklektech!)

I have for certain observed some renovations that in some ways seem to have been more of a downgrade than the furnishings prior to the renovation.  I've never seen the rooms prior to the reno at Falls Church, but I can take your word for it that the decor was much nicer.  I stayed at the Mayflower in DC both prior to and since they renovated, and I liked the earlier decor better than the new decor.  The new decor isn't exactly ugly or anything (colors gray, black, white, plum), but some of the furniture (desk, credenzia, dresser) is like, cheap feeling compared to the old stuff.  It's the same at my parents time share in Newport Beach.  While the colors of the new stuff are bright and cheerful (lime green and tangerine), everything about the furniture and art is just really cheap.  At least the beds, the most important thing(!) are still very comfortable and provide a good night's sleep!

And not all renovations are bad, to be fair.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...