11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2016 1:53 PM by pluto77 RSS

Am I being cheated out of nights?

designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just spent 5 nights traveling with am employee.  I booked two rooms at each of the hotels we stayed.  Some paid on points, some cash.  I have only received 5 nights toward my status and was expecting 10.  If you book two rooms in the same hotel, same night, do you only get credit for one night stay?  Any help on this would be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Am I being cheated out of nights?
    nationwide Platinum

designdeva, no you are not being cheated out of nights.  You only get the nightly credits for the room you slept in, however, you will get the "points" credit for up to three rooms you reserve and pay for.  It would appear that you got 1 night for each of the nights you stayed (5), which would be correct.  That said, you should have have received points for your room and that of the employee you paid for.  I know this isn't the answer you may have been looking for, but this is the way Marriott Rewards credits members who book multiple rooms.   

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seachi Platinum

I think this is correct - unless "employee" meant they were on the Marriott Employee rate. Not sure if employees of Marriott get full credit toward status when using their rate.

Jsucool76 Gold

Looks like designdeva said they used points for one of the rooms, so no points to earn there, unless I misunderstood.

You earned for the 5 paid nights (elite nights + points), however, since someone (the member) can only stay in one room, they can only receive elite nights for the room they actually stay in.

insertcoffee Platinum

"Cheated"  is such a pejorative word choice. 

I'll speak to whether or not you are being credited with what you deserve instead.

As others have pointed out, in general, you will only be credited for one of the rooms for nights. This is due to the nights accruing to the person who is actually sleeping in  the room, and Marriott's underlying philosophy that you can only be in one room per night. This is similar to the airlines' position that the traveler [usually] gets the mileage points rather than the purchaser, and [usually] only one seat's worth credit per each flight.

Perhaps you should encourage your colleagues to get a MR account for your next trip so that at least someone is getting the credit and you're not leaving any on the table. And no, the other individual  cannot transfer nights back to you.

I didn't mean for the word cheated to be so negative.  Was just looking for a headline that might get some answers.  Sorry.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

The policy clearly states that if you book multiple rooms in the same hotel you get points for all but elite night credit for only one.

insertcoffee Platinum

Looks like another 'one and done'. Came here to rant, didn't get the [correct] answers they liked, and silence ensues.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

The poster is actually not a "one and done" nor was her original post a rant.  It was an honest question.

Thank you pluto77.  It was an honest question and I do appreciate the information I received.  One of the reasons why I don't post here often is because there are some very snarky people and sometimes even hurtful comments.  I appreciate your comment.

Insertcoffee I assume that your 'one and done' comment was because I hadn't responded to any answers on this thread.  I appreciated the answers and am sorry I didn't read all of the rules and regulations as completely as I perhaps should have.  I could tell you that since the original post my husband was diagnosed with a terminal disease and I haven't had a lot of time to 'post'.  Please don't judge people.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I am really sorry for the terrible news you've recently received.  Take care and when the time comes, don't be shy about surrounding yourself with lots of help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...