7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2016 9:29 AM by Jsucool76 RSS

Ritz Carlton Rewards Versus Marriott Rewards

rle Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have had the Marriott Rewards Visa for four years now and have been very happy with it and the perks it affords me through the Marriott world.  I recently noticed that the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa Card has added several appealing perks including automatic Gold Status with an annual spend threshold and credits on stays.

- Does Gold Status from the Ritz Carlton card apply to all the Marriott-branded hotels (except the SPG ones so far) and vice-versa? 

- Since you can only be a member of either the Marriott Rewards Program OR the Ritz Carlton Rewards program, do I have to relinquish my current Marriott Rewards account to sign up for a Ritz Carlton account?  Or can I earn Ritz Carlton points as Marriott points?  Do they add to my lifetime status? 

- Do the Ritz-Carlton card perks apply at the Marriott brands? 

- When SPG officially merges with Marriott, will Ritz Carlton finally merge as well?  Or will they continue to operate semi-separately? 

I am just trying to figure out whether or not it is worthwhile to switch from the Marriott Rewards Visa to the Ritz Carlton Rewards Visa.  I just can't seem to figure out these questions through my own online Googling. 

Many thanks to anyone with input and/or advice. 

• Re: Ritz Carlton Rewards Versus Marriott Rewards
    Jsucool76 Gold

You would put your marriott rewards number into the application for the ritz carlton rewards credit card. Your account would stay intact, and your points would all pool into your current marriott rewards account.

You would be granted automatic gold status for the first year (which i see you already have), as well as automatically every following year you spend at least $10,000 on the card (does not count annual fee towards 10k)

Ritz card perks do NOT apply at marriott brands (club level upgrade, $100 credit) only on PAID stays using special rates (z38, and z34 respectively) at ritz carlton hotels.

Couldn't tell you bout the merger. I can tell you that Thom Kozik told me in Houston that the Ritz side of management can be especially tough to deal with.

Ritz earning rate is slightly higher due to the 10% annual bonus you'll get. You'll lose out on the 1 elite night credit for 3k spend with the marriott card though, as the ritz card doesn't have this benefit.

Highest earning marriott card right now is the SPG amex card, but points don't count towards lifetime status.

If you're going to apply for the ritz card, do it before december of this year, so you have time to take advantage of the $300 airline incidental credit for 2016. This will allow you to get the credit in both 2016, and 2017 ($600) back to back, immediately, while only needing to pay the annual fee once. If you can't get it by december, I would wait until February so you can obtain it in January 2018 without having to worry about paying a second annual fee if you decide to cancel. Chase will usually give you some time to cancel and be refunded, but things could change.

Here is a listing I grabbed from a post of mine on another site of a quick breakdown of the benefits:

• $395/$450 annual fee
    • Automatic Marriott Gold Elite Status for your first year (and maintained each year after that with $10,000 spent on the card)
    • Ability to earn platinum elite status ($75,000 in card spend/yearly)
    • $300 Airline Incidental Credit (airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees)
    • $100 Hotel Credit on paid stays of 2+ nights (RC hotels ONLY, must use Z34 booking code (online) or book over the phone)
    • 3 Certificates for upgrade to club level on a paid stay of up to 7 nights (RC hotels Only, must pay a certain rate (Z38 booking code), must be booked over the phone (though rates can be searched online) , INCLUDES $100 HOTEL CREDIT )
    • $100 discount on select airline ticket purchases of 2-5 passengers
    • Up to $100 global entry/TSA PreCheck credit (once every 4 years)
    • Priority Pass Select Membership (free guests, not sure on limits)
    • 5 points per dollar spent at marriott
    • 2 points per dollar spent on airfare, rental cars and restaurants
    • 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
    • 10% yearly bonus on ALL points earned through card spend

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jsucool76

Excellent write-up with useful information and advice. I recently applied and received the card and I find the Visa Infinite benefit of $100 credit for purchases of two to five airline tickets to be my favorite benefit.  I wonder if the 5 Points for Marriott purchases has changed from the $395 card to the $450 annual fee card?  According to the welcome package for the $450 version, the 5X benefit was limited to JW Marriot, Autograph Collection, Edition, Renaissance and Marriot properties.  Again, excellent write-up and thanks for taking the time to post! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

It is still all brands in the Marriott umbrella (now including spg hotels) .

They use poor wording in the welcome packets . It says something like. . .

Earn 5x at Ritz Carlton hotels and all of our exclusive partners , including jw, autograph, edition, renaissance and Marriott .

I think to keep their "luxury " persona they fail to mention ffi , ri , tps , SHS, etc. You will earn 5x everywhere though.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jsucool76

Thanks for the information.  This is good to know as I was under the wrong impression on where the 5X could be earned.  Thank you.

rle Gold

Wow! Thank you so much, Jsucool76 ! I appreciate that breakdown and explanation  I did not realize that I would be giving up the elite night credit per $3K spend from the Marriott card (it seems like maybe this is in exchange for the 10% bonus on points earned?), so now I have something to think about... then again, it seems like it may be a lot easier to maintain my Gold status this way then accumulating 50 nights each year. Decisions, decisions...

Thank you again!

Jsucool76 Gold

Depending on what your yearly spend is like, it may not be much of an issue to move 10k over to the ritz card.

I try to get my 10k ritz spend out of the way within the first 2 months of my cardmember year (which coincidentally happens to be january and february) and then all my other spend goes elsewhere.

Jsucool76 Gold

Didn't think to add this is yesterday, but an alternative to the Ritz card is amex plat. Which will give you Marriott gold status for no spend, along with Hilton gold status just for kicks .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...