35 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2016 4:26 PM by photog2002 RSS

Stolen Items and Marriott wont do anything about it!

lukegriffin Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at the Fairlield Inn New Castle Delware. My headphones and tablet were stolen from my room and the hotel adamantly claims that they can not do anything about it because they are not liable for the actions of their employees. Apparently in the future I need to bring all of my stuff to the front desk and sign it in if I don't want to worry about my stuff being stolen. I have been a platinum member for over six years and have never had an issue with missing items. I always figured if something was stolen Marriott would try to make things right, but this is clearly not the case. I guess I have learned a good lesson. Has this ever happened to any one else? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Stolen Items and Marriott wont do anything about it!
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

lukegriffin

Never had anything stolen from hotel room, Marriott or otherwise.  But I know for a legal fact that employers are indeed responsible for their employees, in the case of the Fairfield Inn probably a Marriott franchise company.  Two questions: Did you report the theft to the local police?  Did you report it to Marriott Corporate?  Sorry for your loss, but don't give up on some type of settlement on the part of the local franchise or Marriott proper.  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lukegriffin Platinum

I first tried to resolve the issue with the hotel, but the manager stated she couldn't do anything about it and told me to call the police. The local police commented that it was clear that one of the hotel employees stole my items but it would be very difficult to prove who stole them so it was not worth their time to conduct an investigation. The police officer told me to try to get reimbursed from Marriott Corporate. So I ended up working with a liaison in Bill Marriott's office. After a couple weeks she informed me that under Delaware's innkeeper  statute it says "an innkeeper/hotel owner is not held liable for the loss, theft, or unexplained disappearance of guest’s money, jewelry, or valuable property which has not been placed in the hotel’s custody for safekeeping purposes."

I was never trying to prove that Marriott was liable for the stolen items I just wanted them to show some concern for their customer and to try to do something to make things right, but that is clearly not going to happen. Thanks for the response.

Sounds like you did everything right and it's up to Marriott Corporate to lean on the hotel's owner to make this right for you and not quote the Delaware  law.  This occurred on their property by their employee!  They are responsible!  AnrewT is on the case and, hopefully, can get some results for you.  Good luck, and I will not stay at this hotel.

monisame Platinum

Hotels are limited in their liability for your personal belongings. It means  that the hotel will only be liable for a given amount, regardless of the value of your loss.  However, if you can show that the hotel or its staff's negligence was the cause of your loss, then the hotel will be liable for the full value.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So sorry to hear about this, Luke. I have sent your a direct message for assistance.

Thank you

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Actually they should have been able to see which employees had entered the room based on which key cards were used.  Personally I never leave anything valuable in the room, because I've had them enter when they thought I was gone.  But sounds like they just don't want to deal with it.

lukegriffin Platinum

I now realize that I should never leave anything I care about in the hotel room. I wish Marriott would step up and try to make it right, but its pretty clear at this point nothing is going to happen.

seatexan Platinum

I would hope that Marriott makes the hotel make up for it in some way.  Carrying the Marriott brand name does make Marriott look bad when something like this happens. 

I worry about my stuff as well.  I always use the safes and I keep the DND sign on my door. Then they really entered with out permission!

Keep us updated!

lukegriffin Platinum

I agree that it does makes Marriott look bad. Who wants to stay at a hotel where they have had past incidences of theft with no resolution?! Because the hotel won't do anything and customer service acts like they are helpless in the matter I think I am going to try to reach out to the CEO Arne Sorenson to see if there is anything he can do. From a financial perspective it seems like it would be in Marriott's best interest to make things right.

insertcoffee Platinum

It is unfortunate this happened to you.  I never leave anything in the room, or if I do, and it either doesn't fit the safe or there is no safe in the room, I lock it inside a suitcase. This at least makes it not as convenient to just grab and go.

While it is true that in fact management is not responsible for anything stolen from the room, it is unfortunate that this particular management appears not to care enough about the incident to even toss some points your way, comp  you a night, or *something* which makes you feel as if they even are concerned about it

This is the time for social media. I would post this on Trip Advisor, Twitter, FB, Yelp, and of course, if you get a survey from the hotel after your stay.

insertcoffee Platinum

It depends entirely on how their master keys are coded. If each master does not have a separate code, there is no way to identify for certain without camera footage which person did it. It is like giving admin privileges to multiple parties in IT, and you can't see which individual actually makes a change, because they are all "Administrator".

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Good point . I know at most resorts in Las Vegas employees must come to work with a see thru bag so that takes no stuff would be a little more difficult

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I know hotels have safes, but honestly, how many of us use it to lock up our electronics?  I hope Marriott compensates you in some way.  And definitely take it to social media and Trip Advisor.

lukegriffin Platinum

I was waiting to post negative reviews until I gave the hotel a chance to respond in a positive way, but at this I think social media is my last resort. Based on everything Marriott has said to me, the housekeeper can take whatever they want an there is NOTHING you can do to get reimbursed or get your stuff back. You literally are helpless. I have never worried about missing stuff in the past because I only stay at Marriotts and I thought they were an upstanding company that would have my back if anything ever happened. This clearly is not the case.

monisame Platinum

Franchised hotels should have more control. Very bad experience!!! Hope Customer service can give you a proper compesation. I am trying to avoid FI . I have had some bad experiences always at this chain.  Coincidence??? I don t want to think so

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

I actually do lock up my electronics, valuables, etc., if a safe is provided.  Especially outside the states.

Depending on your deductible and the cost of the items, you may/should be able to file a claim with your homeowners insurance.  We left a camera and other items on the train from London to Paris and our policy covered the loss after deductible.

insertcoffee Platinum

I always lock up electronics, etc. This is more of a pain when the safe is not in the room, but at least I have more peace of mind.  This is not to suggest that the safes are completely able to prohibit someone from stealing things, but it definitely reduces the opportunistic grabs.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

My laptop certainly wouldn't fit in the in-room safe and I have never asked the front desk to lock it up.  I think most guests feel a certain sense of security is to be expected in their rooms.  Maybe I'm just naive because I've never had anything stolen out of my room before.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

So sorry to hear of this terrible experience.  My only advice to you and anyone that will listen is to NEVER stay at Fairfield Inn's.  In my experience, they are the worst hotel brand that I have ever stayed in.  I have tried them a number of times in different cities and each time, I have been extremely disappointed.  They were all dirty, run down and seedy and after three attempts, I will never stay at one again.  Your experience just adds to my disdain of Fairfield Inn's.

Jsucool76 Gold

While it may not apply here, if you happened to use your Marriott card (from chase, if you live in the US) to purchase your tablet and headphones, and you happened to purchase them within the last 120 days...you're covered for item theft by the insurance included with the credit card.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It seems that one should be able to have some feeling of security in a hotel room.  I have had things taken that one would not expect like some fruit.  In a case like this, I just let it go. 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I really hate to admit this, but I pack a "nanny-cam", the specific model shown here: Mini Travel Clock Hidden Camera Battery Operated Motion Activated DVR

I do this for two reasons - the first and most obvious is to "watch my room" when I am away, but secondly, my familiarity with this clock's features (sleep alarm, setting the alarm/time, and the alarm itself) rather than having to always figure out the bedside clock in the room.

I have been using this clock for almost 2 years, ever since I had my credit card # stolen (I left my CC bill in my room, the only logical explanation of it being breached).

CONs: goes through batteries very quickly (but I pack rechargeable for the trip)

PROs: it is amazing to see what housekeeping does/does not do for the room

It has yet to record any malfeasance but I have used it once with management when a glass I had drank out of was simply "looked at, appears clean, set back with original paper topper (no washing).

On an aside - I also have a dash-cam in my car, not yet having been needed, but you never know when.

nationwide Platinum

pingreeman  I am both impressed and worried.... what does this say about our world that these extra precautionary measures are necessary?  What did the manager have to say when you showed her/him the video?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

nationwide - It is a sad statement on our world that one must take these extra precautions, but no one is held accountable for their actions in today's society. Long gone are the days where you might find a hand-written note in a parking lot that is left from someone accidentally bumping your car. But I digress . . . .

The manager said he would talk to the housekeeping staff to make sure this didn't happen again.

pingreeman

Thanks for your post.  Great idea, I'm going to look into one of these.  As a "message" to the hotel housekeeping I always bring a bag that has an FOP logo on it.  But a camera would be perfect unless someone steals it.

DannyGoh Platinum 1 Reviews

Even room safe can be breached! I had two cases where my room safe was opened (Thankfully not in Marriott hotels). I knew because I placed a thin strip of paper at the safe door. Once opened, it will slip out. Culprit who opened the safe will usually not notice it. This proves that there are dishonest employees all over hotels. We must protect ourselves well.

I locked the empty safe as a decoy and hide some of my stuff in "interesting" places. Other valuables are always with me when i leave the room.

Such is life.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Agreed. I never leave valuables in the room unattended. They either go in the safe (which I always check for commonly used master codes, like 1234 or 9999 or the room number) or they go with me.  I'd like to think I come up with clever hiding places, but I'm certain that any dishonest employee will know and have seen them all.  Most are honest, but it only takes one bad apple. Also another reason why I won't hire a housekeeper for my home.  That and because they don't clean like I do, plus I've read (and seen first hand) that a common professional housekeeping mantra is, it doesn't have to actually be clean, it just has to have the appearance of being clean.  

seatexan Platinum

lukegriffin any update? or did I miss an update?

photog2002 Platinum 1 Reviews

WOW, I've stayed at that property before too, It's fairly new. It's in a shady part of town not much around there to dime etc. I will think twice about staying there is the future.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...