6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2016 8:55 PM by erc RSS

Why?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone understand why there is a fixed price to buy back Platinum, regardless of the number of nights that you are short?

I'm not certain that this is correct but it is my impression that this is true.  Any thoughts, anybody?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why?
    nationwide Platinum

phctourist, this is a great question!  I have never seen any amount other than 40K points for platinum, but what you are suggesting makes all the sense in the world!  Oh my gosh, they might have to make change for a $40,000 bill!  That would require an IT fix!    Would love to know if anyone has gotten it less expensively....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I do know that when I have been close, they have always kept me at Plat without  charging me any points but it just seems strange that someone is 20 nights short would pay the same as someone who is 5 nights short.

insertcoffee Platinum

I've only seen that amount, and I'd imagine someone would be bragging about it online if they were able to do it for less.

OT: the subject header is not going to make this topic searchable.  Perhaps you could add something more descriptive of  your question?

erc Platinum

Search capability for Insiders - this is one of my biggest headaches about the structure of Insiders. Their search function is anemically weak (here, it is difficult to honestly say "search is your friend"). If we had effective search, IMO,over time it would reduce the duplicate threads and Q & As of newcomers.

I have searched topics I had seen from a few days previously, could not remember the exact thread title, and could never find the thread using virtually 80-90% of the words; here's a classic example;

tker's superb explanation of Marriott's excellent Travel Package

Search Travel Package - nope

Search Travel Package Review - nope

Finally, Travel Package Overview - thar she blows Travel Package Overview

But, I agree with the point about more descriptive titles, whereas still a potluck chance, it increases the odds.

I remember when we used to have hotel reviews - "Excellent stay at Paris Marriott Champs Elysees" would put five reviews in the More Like This column - Excellent Waffles at Ohio Fairfield Inn, Excellent Views at New Orleans Marriott, Excellent Check In Experience at Treasure Island Residence Inn etc etc

and in closing while talking about excellent, excellent observation and point phctourist, it would make sense to have the cost somewhat prorated, (but it would also make sense to upgrade certs and suites award stays w/points), nor have I seen it throughout the blogs at any different price either.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey phctourist! The Platinum Buyback offers a discounted rate of 40000 points between February and April.  The rest of the year its 60000. 

erc Platinum

lindseyh

Good stuff my Portland pal, that's a worthwhile warning, although I've never seen the 60k implemented, nor discussed quite frankly, so I hope you're not breaking news with a going forward price , but it's good to know. Thanks

2014 - 40k

Buying back Platinum Status

2015 - 40k

Until April 1, 2016, you can retain your status at an exclusive rate:

• Buy back your Platinum status – only 40,000 points
      • Buy back your Gold status – only 25,000 points
      • Buy back your Silver status – only 7,500 points

foxglove  good to see you tapping the keys again.

Man, when you retire you really retire US Patent Office and Rip Van Winkle | Quantum Bayesian Networks

Free beer for you and the Mrs. next time you're in the nation's capital (observing democracy at work )

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...