10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2016 7:06 PM by aberwarn RSS

Early check-in via app....question/comment/feedback

aberwarn Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I used the app to check-in early (the day before, Tuesday) at a Fairfield Inn in Florida this past week. On Wednesday, 3:30pm, I got a text stating that my room was ready. Great! We arrived at 4:30pm and were placed on the 2nd floor, even though our room request was a higher floor. (This hotel has four floors.) I questioned the room placement as we have checked-in as soon as possible in hopes of getting a higher floor and was told that when customers used the check-in feature on the Marriott app, that the first room ready is assignment to them, regardless of any preferences listed in their profile. Furthermore, there is no way the front desk can then change the room assignment, since the customer is considered checked-in. UGH!  So basically, we were told not to use the check-in on the mobile app. Has anyone else experienced this? Seriously seems to be a flaw in their system.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Early check-in via app....question/comment/feedback
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm not sure about how the rooms are assigned, but the idea that the room can't be changed at the front desk is complete hogwash. More than once, I've been given a different room from the one originally assigned after using mobile check in. It was done for me recently at the FFI in Plymouth, NH. It just takes a couple minutes as it does require the desk clerk to prepare new keys. The idea that any Marriott associate would discourage use of the mobile app is, in my opinion, an even bigger problem. Marriott has expended a lot of effort to get us to use the app in the first place.

If this ever happens to you again, ask that the associate check to see if a room on a higher floor is available and that you would prefer that room. It should be no problem for the hotel to do this. It's one thing if the hotel is completely full and no rooms are available, but that's usually not the case. Be polite, but firm. Odds are, you'll be given a room on the top floor.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nationwide Platinum

aberwarn, I completely agree with bejacob!  I check in using the mobile app every time.  When I don't have an upgrade to  better room, or at least to the specifications in my profile, I have a discussion with the front desk.  They are always willing to "rekey" my room if they have a better one available.  I suspect this was a status influenced call by the FD clerk.  Are you not yet a Silver Marriott Rewards member?  If not, I would encourage you to consider the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa card by Chase that gives you 15 elite nights a year (silver + 5).  Status does come with privileges, and the FD may have been trying to be polite.  My two cents. 

zunilily46 Platinum

I have only used the check in app a few times. A couple of times I used it and no upgrade!.....Room already assigned. A lot of the time they show you if they have upgraded you and to what. Then, if happy, I check in on the app. Then there are other times I look at the room type, i.e. EL access and that is it and I call them and ask what type of room they have assigned me. Have done much better checking in at the front desk in the US. Overseas is quite different. They treat their Platinums much better.

zunilily46 Platinum

I have only used the check in app a few times. A couple of times I used it and no upgrade!.....Room already assigned. A lot of the time they show you if they have upgraded you and to what. Then, if happy, I check in on the app. Then there are other times I look at the room type, i.e. EL access and that is it and I call them and ask what type of room they have assigned me. Have done much better checking in at the front desk in the US. Overseas is quite different. They treat their Platinums much better.

zunilily46 Platinum

zunilily46 Platinum

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I used the Mobile App last week to check-in to a room I and had already been upgraded to a Suite a couple of days before.  When I arrived at the hotel I asked if my room had a view of the pool area or the back of the hotel which clued in the Front Desk Associate to move me to a view of the pool and changed my room.

So the concept of not being able to change a room is complete "hogwash" as bejacob so eloquently referred.  It was simply a LAZY Associate who told you some warm "hogwash"!!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I use it all the time (typically I can see when I go to check-in that I have already been upgraded); and I would say that I am upgraded 70-80% of the time.....

usuallyinchina Platinum

I have used the mobile check in feature on the app for well over a year.  It has never impacted my ability to get upgrades.  I have been batting 1.000 on upgrades in China and the US.  (hope I did not jinx myself for the end of this month

aberwarn Silver

To follow-up/close the conversation - Marriott personnel contacted me about the issue and has assured me it was a one-time occurrence and the appropriate people at the hotel were contacted about the incident so it does not happen again - to us or anyone. Without being asked, I was also compensated for my inconvenience with a few points. Appreciate their diligence.

Thank you all for your feedback and thoughts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...