5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2016 8:50 AM by iahflyr RSS

Miffed about "lost/expired" rewards points

deardoc Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all,

was online early this morning to look at booking a stay for a ski trip this winter when I was horrified to find that my rewards points balance was ZERO!?!?!

I had somewhere around 78000 points as I last remembered.

In my account it said I had lost the points as of July of this year and in investigating online and on their app it's because off a new policy instituted earlier this year where rewards points EXPIRED!

I Contacted not one but two rewards reps who stated that they could not help me. Stated that people were warned about this new policy on numerous occasions...

certainly info may have been distributed and I like to think that I open every rewards correspondence as if they had sent me notice of me being given free rewards, but I must admit that is not the case.

with regards to emails... I don't know if they ended up in junk mail folder.

none the less I am quite annoyed with this policy being enacted on points that I had accumulated by patronizing their company. I feel if you want to enact a new policy it should affect points going forward from the date the new policy goes into effect. To essentially "rob" me of points that I earned fair and square is really BAD BUSINESS.

Im wondering what others think. Once again they "expired" in July not 5 years ago.

Has this affected many others? I know I read quite a few posts regarding others caught off guard and in this predicament as well.

Im hoping the company would/will do the right thing.

In going to book my trip this morning I guess I was willing to give them my business as I have in the past. Guess I'm glad I noticed this before I booked my trip. It seems their view is they appreciate your loyalty but their appreciation has a limit of 2 years. It's not like I stayed with them twice!!!!! And these are points I earned with that loyalty.

Well, let's see if anybody reaches out to me to straighten this out, because now they will have to EARN my business back!

Hope anybody else who was negatively affected by this new policy will chime in.

IF they do rectify this issue I'll update this post.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Miffed about "lost/expired" rewards points
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Just my two cents, but this was not a new policy. Marriott had not enforced it and announced last year (Feb 2015) that they would. In addition to emails, there was a notice that was on your account when you logged in. For points to expire, you have to be inactive 24 months. That's a long time.

In your case, I would contact Marriott Rewards Customer Service and plead your case to someone in a leadership role. You may get more of a response. Keep in mind that nearly all loyalty programs have point/mile expiration at the 18 month mark without activity. So, Marriott isn't out of the norm here.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

insertcoffee Platinum

Sorry, OP, but as has been pointed out many times in this forum and numerous others, Marriott published this policy hither and yon, gave people much advance warning, and now is actually still relatively generous in giving you TWO YEARS of absolutely zero activity to keep your points before they expire.

There are many ways to keep your account active even  if you are not staying in a Marriott.

You have not been robbed. You did not keep up with your account and the terms of service. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth. I've had it happen to me too (not with Marriott) and there is no one to blame but self.

As has been recommended elsewhere, you might wish to keep a spreadsheet for those places where you have orphan points or where you do not often use the brand, so this does not happen to you again.

nationwide Platinum

deardoc, I know it's disappointing to have "lost" the points, but they do expire without activity.  Marriott notified us on their website, on Insiders, via email etc.  Think about it from a business prespective: points that simply sit in an account with no new earnings, or no spend, eventually have to be considered abandoned.  You cannot carry this liability on your balance sheet forever, right?  Two years is 1&1/2 to 2 times the length of time other programs give you, so by comparison Marriott has been quite generous.  Again, earning points or spending points is acceptable activity to keep it from expiration.

Think about your time off at work.  Are you allowed to keep banking paid time off without having to use it, sell some of it back, or risk having it expire?  Chances are, you aren't permitted to do so.  Your company would have a huge liability sitting out there, that could grow exponentially, and would be difficult to account for and value.  In all likelihood, they ask you to use some days every year as you accrue more, or you lose them.  Your company isn't unreasonable is it?  "Use it or lose it" is a very common practice.  In Marriott's case, they aren't even asking you to spend (use), just show some activity.  You can't expect them to carry your account into perpetuity, right?  At the risk of being morbid, how would they know you are still around if you've done nothing at all in two years?

I lost a ton of points from SPG for the very same reason.  I can empathize with you.  I had a horrible experience at a Sheraton where I routinely stayed, and decided to move down the road to Marriott in protest.  When I recently linked my Marriott account to SPG, I laughed when I saw the account balance at zero.  The last time I stayed at an SPG property?  2004.  Should I realistically have expected them to keep that point balance in the account after all this time?  No, of course not.  I needed activity, and had none.  The business has to manage the program, and two years is ample time for a customer to show some intent of being active in a loyalty program.  As recommended in the thread above, they would probably make an exception for you if you ask.  However, what they've asked from you isn't at all unreasonable.

mustanggt Platinum

I too have lost points over time at SPG and various airlines.  These programs are in place to reward loyal customers and to encourage frequent business from their customers.  More than two years of zero activity is not loyalty.  Marriott is rather liberal in keeping your account active.  All you had to do in a two year period was to earn some points, or use some points.  Points are also earned through use of the Marriott Rewards credit card.  As I said previously, I have lost points from other companies over the years as my loyalties have changed.  One can only be loyal to so many companies.  Best advice is to pick a small handful of companies and try to put most of your business with them.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I along with the previous folks who have replied am sorry to read of you losing all your points.  You may call it "BAD BUSINESS", but if you have not had even a sniff of account activity in the required time I for one would not really refer to that as a loyal customer.  I'm sure it stings to see an account balance of ZERO, yet as others have written there were plenty of opportunities to notice this even when signing into your account.

Marriott certainly isn't alone in this no account activity and you forfeit your balance, most if not all hotels and airlines have similar policies in place.  If you are a frequent flyer with an airline such as United or American, probably Delta and others without any activity for 18 months and poof, all your miles/points are gone and you may find your entire account closed.

Hope you will ensure you are aware of the terms and conditions any rewards programs you are vested in the future.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...