23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2016 1:17 PM by jerryl RSS

Rewards Plus FAIL - Is Platinum Elite to United Silver figment of imagination?

buzymom3 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

A couple months ago, I received an email about the RewardsPlus status match between Marriott and United.  So I hit the 'Join' button and got a response that said "Congratulations 'my name' you have successfully signed up for Rewards Plus and will receive your United information in 7 to 10 days. "

So I went ahead booked a flight to Houston (which is TOMORROW).  I NEVER book United, but they had a fare of $59 so I grabbed it thinking that with Silver Status I would not have to pay a bag to check my luggage.  My D has a new job in Huntsville, TX, I have not seen her since July plus she wanted me to bring her Christmas decorations which did not fit when we moved her from Chicago.  I generally fly Southwest for the free luggage and convenience of Midway

After a couple weeks, I had not received anything and no status showed up on my UA profile, so I signed up again...and waited...signed up again....and waited.  Finally, last night I called the Platinum line explained everything and was transferred to Rewards...not sure why, but I explained everything all over again.  Agent was lovely, truly sweet and helpful.  Assured me I would hear from her before the night was over....{{crickets}}

And still I wait.  Ughhhhh.  I never would have booked UA with out the incentive of free luggage check and status.  I am so frustrated, I read old posts and see that this is a common problem  Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to avoid paying the dreaded luggage fee?

have to say that after 10 years of being PE this is the very first fail I have had.  Love Marriott, so I guess I cannot complain.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rewards Plus FAIL - Is Platinum Elite to United Silver figment of imagination?
    erc Platinum

Oh my, unfortunately you've entered the circles of hell of Rewards programs. The RewardsPlus program truly does exist and actually has some worthwhile benefits. As you have stated, you are not the first to struggle with getting enrolled. I was a platinum throughout the entire process and yet whereas I was enrolled the inaugural year, the second year I fell through the cracks and had to spend many phone calls back and forth to finally get enrolled again.

In hindsight no doubt, you're probably realizing you should have never trusted the system to work (I find that if something in the loyalty programs doesn't work the first time, look out - headaches ahead), but now with your flight tomorrow, your only hope is elbow grease, charm, and persistence (and yes, unfortunately, good luck).

Call the Marriott Rewards line again and attempt to get an agent who will actually call United while you are on hold (mine did and finally got it resolved). If your Marriott Rewards agent seems confused or reluctant, quickly thank them, hang up and call again until you get one who's willing to go the full distance for you.

Here's a tip to minimize the Rewards phone call frustration: When you call Rewards 1800 321 7396 (sadly no Plat exclusivity here) if you get the dastardly Robot,  Don't trust him - he can't help. Don't provide him any info, in spite of his constant pleading; instead tell him "I want to combine two Marriott accounts"  - this fries his brain and he passes you straight through (a minor victory over machines ).

At this point, it comes down to "how bad do you want it?"  The good news, it is obtainable, the bad news, it will be a pita. Sorry about your headache, good luck to an outcome worthy of your efforts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rewards Plus FAIL - Is Platinum Elite to United Silver figment of imagination?
      seatexan Platinum

"I want to combine two Marriott accounts"  - this fries his brain and he passes you straight through (a minor victory over machines ).

This! this is so funny! I might have to use it next time I try to call for something.  ;D

buzymom3 Good luck with this.  I really hope you get the accounts synced up.  I will link mine but I think I will wait til Jan... I read some strange thing about how United only gives stats for the calendar year.  Maybe they fixed this, but I won't chance it!

Let us know if you get it worked out.

buzymom3 Platinum

Well I am going to attempt this at lunch today...hopefully I don't throw the phone into the pond on campus in frustration!!  erc THANKS so much for the advice on circumventing the robot from hell!  I will report back in a few hours and let you know who I fared.

May try UA directly to if I fail with Marriott.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi buzymom3! So sorry to hear of these frustrations!  I've reached out via direct message to provide support, but seeing as your flight is tomorrow, the best plan of action for you would be to call the Rewards line.  You will be able to address this matter a little faster on the phone.

buzymom3 Platinum

I already tried that...I did send you a reply with my Marriott and my United numbers ... did you get it?  

I really would appreciate some help with this....can someone call United directly and get this taken care of?

buzymom3 Platinum

carat is truly AMAZING! I just checked my UA account and I AM SILVER!  First time I needed help from PE and they really delivered!

This means a lot to me as I am recovering from chemo and radiation from non hodgkins lymphoma.  I did not want to play the cancer card, as I figured if it was meant to be it would happen.  Now I don't have to worry about stuffing my carry on and trying to lift it or even get it on the plane since I was in boarding group 5. Now I can pack a big suitcase and just drop the bag curbside, with no fee and work on staying germ free.

I LOVE Marriott!

Travel safely everyone and have a great weekend!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great news buzymom3,

Best of luck to you on your flight to IAH tomorrow, maybe with your new Silver Premier you will be able to get an EconPlus seat when you check-in for the flight, if you haven't done so do it 24 hours out.  If you're really lucky a comp First Class upgrade.......they are slim to come by especially from and into UA HUBS, but ya never know.

Premier benefits chart

BenefitPremier SilverPremier GoldPremier PlatinumPremier 1K®
      Economy Plus seating benefits1
      Complimentary access to Economy PlusAt check-inAt bookingAt bookingAt booking
      Economy Plus companions1188
      Upgrades
      Complimentary Premier UpgradesMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Complimentary Premier Upgrades companion upgradesMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation (as early as)Day of departure48 hours72 hours96 hours
      Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy ticketsMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Instant upgrades on M-class economy tickets MileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Regional Premier Upgrades eligibility MileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Global Premier Upgrades eligibility MileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Premier mileage bonuses2
      500 PQM minimum accrualMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines (includes Premier bonus award miles)7 × fare38 × fare39 × fare311 × fare3
      Premier priority travel services, including Premier Access®4
      Priority check-inMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Priority security screening, where offeredMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Priority boarding privilegesMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Priority baggage handlingMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Premier Priority Desk phone lineMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier Platinum1K 1Call dedicated line
      Access to most sold-out flightsMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
      Lounge access when traveling internationally MileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®

Also, congrats on getting to the recovery point from your lymphoma.  Keep looking up!!

seatexan Platinum

buzymom3 Yes! carat is pretty amazing!

I am so happy it all worked out and just in time! Congrats on the upgrade.  I hope you have a fun time on your trip.  Let us know how it goes.

Keep on recovering!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

buzymom3 l can identify with you.  I am about to fly to SF to celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary AND my clean PETScan after six months of chemo and radiation for non hodgkins Lymphoma.  I wish you well.  It's been a rough year but I've come through it and I hope that your treatment is equally effective.  My energy is slowly returning and my hair grew back thicker and less grey.

Don't hesitate to play the cancer card at Marriott hotels,  The staff at several hotels have been quite generous and accommodating.  We have been upgraded to a suite twice in response to my cancer.

insertcoffee Platinum

Glad you got this worked out.

Word to the wise:  never trust that anything, Marriott or otherwise, is just going to automatically work like it should. I would have checked before booking to make sure of my status, and recommend this as a general habit moving forward. At least you would have been saved the stress of doing all this at the last minute and fretting about it.

I had to make multiple phone calls to get this squared away. I did it before I was even planning a trip so that it is ready to go if I need it. I'mnot usually a UA flyer, but with Silver baseline, I will consider additional routes on Star Alliance I otherwise would not have.

Enjoy your trip.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You can add me to the list of those that were unable to link via the single page site, like you the moderators here sorted me out. Pleased to see you're ready to ride!

bacon14 Platinum

I'm curious if anyone was able to successfully link without having to get assistance?  I submitted the request early in the year and of course forgot about it until I was about to book a flight and realized it was never completed.  When I called Marriott they said that they needed my United account number in order for it to complete.  Of course, you couldn't have submitted the form successfully without it.  All is silver and happy now ....

rowdy1438 Platinum

I was successfully linked without any assistance. It also got me an upgrade to Business Class on a UA flight across the pond. Thanks Marriott!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I did successfully but since I haven't  flown  in 18 months they allegedly terminated me

seatexan Platinum

Oh no! can you rejoin jerryl?

Actually they are taking all points away . Since I rarely fly united don't know if my number will be cancelled or not

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerryl sorry to learn you've lost your miles, Premier Silver status and probably your MileagePlus account as well.  As with most airlines and now hotels without any account activity you lose what you had.

From the UA MileagePlus T/C:

1. Any member who fails at any time to engage in account activity for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months is subject to termination of such member's membership and/or forfeiture of all accrued mileage as of the last day of the 18th month. Activity includes (without limitation) earning flight miles on United or earning or redeeming miles with a MileagePlus partner (as defined in Rule 12), redeeming miles for award travel, buying miles or transferring miles.
              2. "Account Activity", for purposes of these rules, shall be deemed to occur when a member accrues mileage in such member's account in any manner as outlined and set forth in these Rules, or as otherwise approved by United, or when the member redeems any MileagePlus or partner award by the use of mileage in the member's account. In cases where mileage is for any reason removed from an account, as for example the redemption of an award, and there is a subsequent cancellation of the award or removal of miles and a return of the miles to the member's account, the cancellation of the award or removal and return of the mileage to the account shall not qualify as "Account Activity."

YEs i knew this and they offered to turn miles into magazine subscriptions but i had booked a flight late october that i had to cancel but still paid for it so i will see what happens . I only had 6k miles so no big deal but will be interested in seeing if my silver will still exist

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I understand the "legalize" of this, but I wonder do they email you and give you 30 days notice so you can do something about it; or do they just leave it alone and if you don't do anything about it.... you lose.....

Everything is run by computers, why can't they set a 30 day reminder.... would be great customer service!!!!!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Sorry jerryl.   Reading this just actually reminded me that I had until Oct. 31 to make activity on my Qantas FF account.  Sadly I got busy and - forgot.  They gave me plenty of notice via email, like 6 weeks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...