7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2016 8:09 AM by acumenjay RSS

New member.  Information overload

acumenjay Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Just stumbled on this site and seems like a great resource.  I recently took a new job and decided to just do Marriott and am now Gold Elite after about 6 months and looking into a family vacation with points soon as they are starting to add up quickly. 

I was wondering if everything is on the calendar year and trying to look into a challenge to get to Platinum quicker.  I won't travel as much around the holidays so not sure I'd get my 9 visits in 3 months if I start right now (I think I have about 5 or 6 on the calendar right now).  I guess my question is, if I wait until the new year for a challenge, then get the Platinum challenge, does my status last for a year from the date that I achieve Platinum?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New member.  Information overload
    homoviator Platinum

Welcome acumenjay.  I can't answer your question because I'm not the master either.  You'll soon see who they are.  However, I have to say, I feel like it took me over a year to get all the rules clear and how to maximize points without being obsessive about it. In some ways I'm still learning. There's tons of great info here and very good 'teachers'

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

Welcome acumenjay, I am not an expert either, but here are a few things that may help.

You earn your next years status based on the calendar year. However once you have earned status it is good until Feb of the following year. So if you earned gold in 2016 you are gold until Feb of 2018.

There is a big difference between "stays" and "nights". One stay is a continual visit to a hotel no matter how many nights you stay (it can be one night or thirty). This is important as the challenges are based on stays and not nights.

I have never done a challenge, but my opinion is start it next year rather than now. Reason, is gold is almost as good as plat and if you do the challenge next year and achieve it I think you will stay plat until Feb of 2019. The other thing is it sound as if you are going to stay more nights this year. if you get up into the 70 plus range, and call customer service they may just give you plat anyway even though you did not quite get to 75.

good luck

drlee999 Platinum

As pointed out above, the difference between Gold and Platinum is not that much. So, if it were me, I'd wait to try for the higher tier next year. The days over 50 (gold threshold) will roll over, so it will be easier next year to achieve Platinum with those rollover nights. Also, if you get the Marriott Platinum credit card, you'll get 15 nights on the anniversary, and you'll get another night for each $3000 you put on it. Plus 5 points per dollar spent at a Marriott. Good luck!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

If you complete the platinum challenge by the end of this year, you will enjoy platinum status until Feb 2018.  If you wait and complete the platinum challenge early next year (2017), you will enjoy it all through next year as well as 2018 and through Feb 2019.  So best to earn it in the earlier part of any calendar year, to maximize the length of time that you will enjoy the status.

In summary, you keep the status for the rest of the calendar year in which you earned it, plus all of the subsequent calendar year, and it expires in February of the year after that.  You have 3 months to complete the challenge.  If you sign up now, not sure if they will extend the 3 month period through January (new calendar year) or not.  Maybe one of our kind community managers, AndrewT, deannad or carat or lindseyh  can shed some light for us.

Welcome to Insiders, acumenjay.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Welcome to the Insiders community, acumenjay!

Your fellow Insiders are on the right track. If you contact us as early as February 2017 to enroll in a status challenge, successful completion of the challenge woud make your new status level valid for all of 2018 and expiring in January 2019.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Welcome.

First thing to know is that there are a lot of things to know and you'll never learn them all at once. You'll get them eventually. We were all new once. Except me, I've always been old.

When you get status it is valid for the remainder of the year plus the following calendar year. So if you got status today it should be valid until the end of 2017.

acumenjay Gold

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I will probably end up with 60+ nights this year and will have some rollover.  In February I will do a challenge as you suggested.  It is fairly easy for me to get 9 stays since I cover a region and have to travel to a lot of different towns.  I'm usually not in the same place for more than a night or two.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...