26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2017 9:28 AM by shortnsassytxn RSS

Transfering points rob you of your lifetime points!

tnicoll Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

A little frustrated today and I need to know if this makes any sense!!  I recently transferred points to a co-worker to assist him in finalizing his upcoming honeymoon trip.  When I checked my account a few days later, Marriott subtracted that same amount out of my lifetime point status! I contacted the platinum help desk to get an understanding on why this would happen.  After being placed on hold for 15 minutes the representative came back to inform me that I didn't read the rules closely enough.  Long story short, I lose all rights and privileges to the points once I transfer them to anyone (which makes sense from the point perspective of the transfer but doesn't make sense from the lifetime point perspective).  The fine print does not make this clear nor did the representative warn me of this issue when I was transferring the points.

I am sorry if I am the only one bothered by this.  Marriott's website is clear on how to earn points to get you to the 2 million points necessary for lifetime platinum status.  No where does it say "except if you transfer points, then you'll lose all the points you earn."

After speaking with the representative, it was clear that Marriott has a tracking point issue.  You would think by now they would exclude internal point transfers within the lifetime point status accumulation (and allowed the original owner of the points, the one that earned them, to retain them in the lifetime point category).  Then to put icing on top of everything, I told the representative that I transferred the points to help out a co-worker to finish his stays (he needed 40K points for one more night for his honeymoon) wherein he chuckled and explained that I should have booked the reservation myself.. then the lifetime points would have stayed on my account.  I asked him to think really hard about what he just said.. The POINTS ARE TAKEN OUT OF MY ACCOUNT TO PAY FOR A NIGHT NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT!

AH!!!! I'll get off the soap box but when an individual earns points it should stay with him... hence the LIFETIME POINT ACCUMULATION!!!

-Tyler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Elite robbed of lifetime points!
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi tnicoll.  I can totally understand your frustrations and would like to look into this a bit further for you.  I have reached out via direct message for additional details. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Elite robbed of lifetime points!
      insertcoffee Platinum

I have read in numerous places online that certain types of points transfers do lower the lifetime points, and it has definitely been reported on Flyer Talk on multiple occasions.

I'll be interested to see what your official response is on this when you report back to the group. Thanks, Cara.

• Re: Transfering points rob you of your lifetime points!
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Insiders. When it comes to transferring points, the amount you transfer will be deducted from your Lifetime totals.  I've copied in the below information from our Rewards terms and conditions and it can also be found using the following link: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

"Under “Transferring Points from One Account to Another”

Item 5

“Once the authorization for transfer is received and processed, the transfer fee relinquishes all rights to the transferred Points, and they become the recipient’s Points.”

Additionally, relinquishing all rights to those points also relinquishes them from the lifetime total. When members ask us to transfer the points to another member, the other member receives them in their available balance as well as their lifetime total. Members can also make a reservation, using their points, from their account and have that reservation be for someone else. In this case, the points would remain on their lifetime total.

erc Platinum

tnicoll

Certainly like you say, one would like to think that once you earn the points and as long as they are only credited once, they are yours, but alas, this is
      Another example of demonstrating the need for a PhD in Rewards esoterics, since logic doesn't always prevail;
          AAA and Senior rates higher than Standard Rates
          AAA and Senior rates being listed twice (at different rates) for the same room
          Saturday and Sunday rates being less than Sunday alone (this just occurred for my Tipple stay - I'll take it)
          Ritz Card offer of free club upgrade on Standard rate - but Weekend (even tho it's the only rate) is not Standard
          No points credited for expensive meals, services at Ritz - or self labelled fees, (often just extra person charges)
        and on and on

Of course, the obvious (and I only mention it in the one in a hundred chance that it hasn't been thought of and is a viable option) is to have your co-worker eventually transfer back the points over time. If it was a gift, then I'd at least want my pal to know of my additional expense and perhaps a celebratory cocktail is due upon his return .

Marriott owns the system, Marriott writes the rules. I have found that being right with Marriott is often overrated. Believe me, Insiders have probably all taken one on the chin like you just did, learning things the hard way; we feel your pain. Thanks for sharing, so others may avoid the same disappointment.

carat - once again, nice work. You have been red hot of late in providing real value to this forum, hopefully you won't be rotating out soon (experienced effectiveness seems to be the kiss of death as far as moderators are concerned ).

Keep on keepin' on Insiders - it's dog eat dog and Marriott is a Mighty Mastiff, we're just along for the ride  

small dog big dog  

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Does the same thing happen if you transfer to an airline ?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

No. The difference there is that you are effectively using your points to "buy" airline miles. It's more like a redemption than a transfer.

erc Platinum

(Points Transfer for $100 - Alex my buzzer wasn't working) Oh man bejacob you beat me to it (I was busy with Director Comey on some e-mail issues ).

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Wow, this I did not know.....

I don't like it and can't really see how Marriott gets hurt if they treated the points transfer like a redemption.

But don't forget that the person receiving the points transfer does get to count them on their lifetime total, so at least they still count (for someone).

Now if someone who has already achieved LTP status would care to donate some points to me, I wouldn't object. After all, once you've moved well beyond 2M points, do you really need them any more.

goodyear Platinum

They hate life time elites.  Jump ship before it is to late.   

nationwide Platinum

goodyear, to which ship should one consider jumping?  It would appear every program has its quirks, and at least we have figured Marriott's out (thanks to erc, bejacob brightlybob and carat) for the most part.  Seriously, where else ya gonna go???

erc, I sure hope you didn't just write the confirmation of value-creation endorsement that carat will copy and paste into this year's performance review, as it will cement her fate to promotion and advancement.... Darn!  We will likely never see or hear from her again! 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Welcome to the wonderfully confusing world of points and miles. Each airline/hotel has its own scheme with its own earning rate, benefits and conditions. Here, for whatever reason, Marriott decided if a member transferred points to another person they'd also transfer their lifetime interest in those points too. You weren't robbed of your lifetime points, you gave them away, your co-worker now has 40k extra lifetime points!

So, no robbery, so you might want to change the thread title to something less incendiary and more truthful...

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

If the member transferring the points relinquishes all rights to those points - including LT points, then the person receiving those points should be able to "earn" them back as earned points and as part of their LT balance. That would be fair and balanced to the "losing" side since it is currently a one-way transaction.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I didn't know this either, but was fortunate to find out the easy way, when my Mom transferred 90k points to me one time, to cover half of the redemption points required for a stay during a holiday that we shared together (since then, the rules have changed, so that one can only transfer up to 50k points/year.) Fortunately for her, she had more than enough for LTP, so not an issue. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way.  It's true, I think, that many of us have had to take one in the chin from not fully comprehending the (often complicated) rules of engagement with loyalty programs. I know I have.  Stay vigilant, my friend. 

tnicoll Platinum

Thank you guys for your thoughts. I honestly don't think Marriott did this on purpose to get back at its most loyal customers. I honestly believe the software isnt capable of tracking points to the original earner. i guess i'll just suck it up and learn from my mistakes.

Saying that I do propose this: anyone that is above the 2 million point threshold and is looking to book hotel rooms in the near future, i propose transferring those points to me (to help me get above the 2  million threshold) and i'll book your rooms.  You get the same results while helping me achieve lifetime platinum.  Disclisre, I only need 300k more points to get to 2 million points (more than previously needed). I already met the 750 night threshold.

nationwide Platinum

tnicoll, Perhaps this is a silly question, but do you have the Marriott Premier Rewards Visa card?  I did not until last year, and found myself in precisely the same situation you describe.  I had met the 750 night requirement, but was short on points.  I wanted to make certain I had lifetime platinum secured before the merger with SPG, so I set out to secure the 350k points I needed as aggressively as I could.  With the 80,000 bonus points for signing up and spending 3k in the first 3 months, I was well on my way.  My wife and I put all our spending on the Marriott card, making sure, of course, to pay it off entirely at the end of the month.  There is no way point-chasing is worth paying interest on a credit card.  In about six months time, in conjunction with regular hotel points accumulation and a small mega bonus in the spring, I got past the 2M lifetime points requirement.  What amazes me is that I didn't do it sooner, as I could have easily hit the lifetime threshold a few years back with both elite night credits and points for every dollar I was already spending. Anyhow, if you don't have the card, I highly recommend going and getting it, as it will put this issue to rest for you in no time.

P.S. - As was recommended earlier in the thread, if the points you transferred weren't truly a gift, you might ask your friend to reciprocate by transferring points back your way too. 

tnicoll Platinum

yes I do.. i have had it for the past 3 years. what works against me is my nightly rates are typically around $90 a night (with majority of my locations having a residence inn). So you can see why my points are low. I threw out that offer as a joke but it's a good idea to help a friend that is struggling to reach the 2 million threshold and has the nights (inside loopholes).

cjmarriott Silver 1 Reviews

tnicoll

Thank you for educating me!  I was not aware and have transferred probably close to 100,000 points in the past 24 months.  This is very concerning because I have been asked to donate points to other non-profit organizations.  Hmmm...good deed that smells bad.

peymanagement Platinum

I have a question that is sort of related. Does the same lifetime deduction apply when transferring points to my airline loyalty program such as American Airlines?

I have to do something with them by the end of the year or my points will expire.

No peymanagement. This only affects points transfers between MR accounts. If you use your points to "buy" airline miles it's treated like a redemption not a points transfer. Your lifetime balance remains the same.

Likewise when you donate points to a charity like Habitat for Humanity or Hotels for Heroes, that's also considered a redemption not a transfer. It will not reduce your lifetime points. I donated the 10k points from the current MegaBonus to these two organizations. My lifetime points didn't change, only my current points balance.

cobusinesstraveler Platinum

Well, the good news is that after we achieve and enjoy our lifetime status, we can transfer points to our sons and daughters so that they may achieve lifetime status more easily - assuming we have a balance.

shortnsassytxn Platinum

That's pathetic, I sure hope it was corrected!!  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...