24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2016 12:22 PM by YogiB RSS

Will you be trying out Starwood Hotels?

Econfkids Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Now that Marriott and Starwood are coming together will you be trying out the Starwood properties? I am not sure. Like to hear your opinion and favorite Starwood properties.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Will you be trying out Starwood Hotels?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Probably not for a year.  I need the nights' credits to make Plat.  In another year of so, I'll have lifetime Plat and that will eliminate this problem, but at present, I just make Platinum each year and I don't want to come up short.  I need 102 nights to reach LP and by years end that figure should be around 75 nights. 

Platinum 4 Reviews

Background: I've never stayed at a SPG hotel

Stays: I do have 3 Aloft stays over 5 days coming up in November

Future: If the stays go well, I'm adding SPG to the group of hotel reward programs I maintain.

LImited SPG exposure: Alofts and Sheraton brands will probably be the only hotels I will stay at. Maybe a Westin.

tommy_gunn Gold

Similar here, although I've stayed at a couple SPG for work events by requirement. I am staying at a Westin in Mammoth this weekend, which is the only major hotel in the town, so my only choice, so at least I will get points in the new 2x-3x points promo going. Unfortunately this Westin has no CL or anything extra for us premium rewards members. Boring. Not even free breakfast.

I will always try to book Marriott brands for several of the reasons other's mentioned - the Gold perks, CL, breakfast, night credits, etc, but will start adding W / Westin / Sheraton / Aloft to the list for when I cannot get Marriott due to sellout (happens often in bay area)

The dual Marriott - SPG award map someone posted recently has been quite helpful in mapping future road trip hotel options.

monisame Platinum

No for now. I will wait. I need to add nights to keep my status. When the stays counts sure I will. I have tried some Westin and a really good. Plus The Meridien is always a good choice.

mustanggt Platinum

Since I am Platinum Lifetime I'm a "free agent" so I can stay wherever I want.  So yes, I will be trying out some select SPG properties.

seatexan Platinum

Which ones do you have in mind?

mustanggt Platinum

Hi SeaTexan. I just completed a stay at the Nines Hotel in Portland, Oregon and it was terrific.  Next on my list is the Liberty Hotel in Boston.  I also will seek out several W Hotels to see what they have to offer. I am trying to get back out to Scottsdale where the Phoenician would be high on my list.

seatexan Platinum

I did consider trying some of the SPGs in Nola.  The prices were higher compared to Marriott.  They have a W in Nola, was hoping to try it but the Ren won out with a lower price.

annew20 Silver

I have been an SPG member before the merger (Gold now in both programs) & I only earn points from my credit card purchases for a free night here & there.  I really enjoyed the SPG property in Oahu - the Moana Surfrider for its historic character & charm.  I loved the rocking chairs on the porch!  We weren't in a new room but it was adequate.  The pool is small but it's right on the beach, busy location.  I've also stayed at the St. Francis in San Francisco located in Union Square.  Great location to shopping & dining.  Lots of dark wood in Interior lobby & rooms.  But I liked the fact it only took 10 - 12k points per night back then for these SPG rooms.  So just using credit card points it was a better deal than Marriott.

YogiB Platinum

There are some great SW hotels out there. Many Sheratons make a good bang for the buck; Burlington VT is a quick example: walking distance from downtown (if too lazy: free shuttle) and cost so much less than the big Marriott downtown.

However, as long as I'm Gold in both programs, I'd prefer to stay with Marriott in the first place, since the huge difference in advantages I can receive as an Elite member (like: jackpot at Marriott vs. just a few bonus points at SPG).

Unless I end up in a place where the difference in price is night and day, or I reach Platinum (through MR, obviously), I don't see any reason yet to go to SW properties.

davidax Platinum

Have stayed at some pretty nice SPG hotels in the past and I'm quite excited by the merger and the opportunities with the SPG brands joining the Marriott family. Booked one night at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel | Official Website | Best Rates, Guaranteed for my next trip there but the second night of my stay I'm back at Courtyard again.

insertcoffee Platinum

There are a couple of threads on this very topic, as cited above.

In short: it is great to have additional options within the Marriott family. Having said that, my travel for this calendar year is unlikely to be affected by the merger. Like some others, I'm still working on my LT Platinum goals, so I'd be less likely to forfeit nights to SPG [for now] until after the nights count toward lifetime, unless there were no native Marriott properties in a destination I needed to go to. Having said that, I might try out a property for a surgical stay of one or two nights, but again, really wanting all nights and credits to be going toward my LT goals within the Marriott structure, or as high a percentage as reasonable.

We shall see what calendar year 2017 brings. I imagine another year of a parallel structure, with two separate but related programs, with 2018 likely being the year with more changes. Marriott will have had a year of 'wooing' SPG folks under their belt by that time, and the way forward will be clearer in the two programs.

erc Platinum

I, like other lifetimers, have the good fortune of not having to collect elite nights or points for earning lifetime status. With that meaningful obstacle out of the way, I'm able to approach the stays as if they have already merged the programs (although the SPG benefit learning curve is still an issue for me to absorb).

What I have discovered so far (and I've researched about 50 comparisons so far) is that with only one exception, Le Meridien besting the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington, Va. on a Saturday night, Starwood has not even been close to matching the Marriott same brand category value in pricing. I'll continue searching, but so far, I've been disappointed, in that I was eager to try some new properties in my repeat cities of Chicago, Boston, DC, and New York and was really hoping for some deals in my next year locations, but no dice - so far (I have months to continue to compare).

Here's a good chart of how Marriott classifies the brands (I have seen examples of JW prices being less than Sheraton and Marriott/Ren prices being better than Four Points);
      http://members.marriott.com/brands/

seatexan Platinum

Yes! this is a major reason I nixed any SPG stays in Nola for my upcoming trip.  I did look. I am not Lifetime but I did at least my my req. nights for the year so I was more open.  Even the JW was less in Nola.

monisame Platinum

Good Job. !!!

therogersfromdallas Platinum

Having already stayed enough nights for Platinum status with Marriott, I'm looking forward to the reciprocal benefit of SPG Platinum status for stays at Starwood's collection of hotels.  In some areas I travel to frequently, I'm excited to try new hotel options.  Ordinarily I stay at the JW Marriott Marquis for business trips to Miami, but next time I'll be trying out the W Hotel that is located in the same area.  I also look forward to visiting St. Regis properties where I would otherwise stay at the Ritz.

erc Platinum

Marriott brands - Cyber sale -   Friday  November  25th - 29th

Global Cyber Weekend Sale sneak peek!

good for US stays between 12/9 - 1/16  Europe 12/9 - 3/31  Middle East/Africa 12/8 - 9/30

Starwood brands - Cyber sale - Monday November 21st - December 4th

http://news.marriott.com/2016/11/unwrap-world-cyber-monday-starwood-preferred-guest-global-destinations-noteworthy-discounts/

good for stays until September 4th 2017

Draw your own conclusions

seatexan Platinum

Well the Starwood at least works out for me.... maybe... as my stay is in May, if it is a hotel that is on sale.  Starwood sure has a lot more days for the sale.

boudreausean Platinum

I was platinum with SPG a few years ago and have been platinum with Marriott for about 3 years now and am plat for the next 2 years thanks to all those stays. SPG hotels are comparable in most cases, however - my BIGGEST GRIPE with SPG has always been the issue with searching for hotels in various cities on their website. Has anyone else experienced this? I can type any city I want into Marriott's search and it will show me properties in and around that city. SPG will not. You almost need to keep a map up in front of you with pushpins on it with the exact city they have a property at. That's my only annoyance with SPG.

mustanggt Platinum

I find the Marriott website to be easier to use, but maybe it's just because I've used it thousands of times and have become familiar with all the quirks and tricks to navigate.

pilam76 Platinum

being a platinum member with almost 200 nights in a marriott this year alone I will not stay at an SPG hotel till the points cross over.

mrskcabral Platinum

I am getting so fed up with Marriott Customer NO Service, this Lifetime Platinum is heading to Hilton Honors.  What a pain Marriott is becoming.  I don't know if it is the SPG merge or what.  But I am about done!

YogiB Platinum

Would you care to explain your story?

If anything, we have some great community managers here that have ways to set things right when regular customer service is giving you a hard time. Also, there are some long-time travellers here that might be able to give some valuable insight as well.

If anything, it might be more useful (both for you, the community here and possibly even Marriott) than simply trolling here that you're leaving Marriott for good.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...