60 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2016 2:01 PM by beauvallonboy RSS

Excited to Finally be a Platinum Elite

ms.harris Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Thank You Marriott Rewards!  I look forward to the new benefits.   WOO HOO!!!! IMG_2864.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Excited to Finally be a Platinum Elite
    ppezzano Platinum

Welcome to the club.  Also Go Gators!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

beauvallonboy Platinum

Congratulations try and take advantage of the perks as much as you can! 

nationwide Platinum

ms.harris, congrats to both a fellow platinum and fellow Florida Gator!  Awesome!

insertcoffee Platinum

Congrats-- and don't forget to take advantage of the cross-matching with SPG. Now you will also be [low level] Platinum there, as well, if you have an SPG account.

ms.harris Platinum

insertcoffee Thanks and yes the SPG status is great.  I already signed up for the UBER points match, the United status upgrade and the Delta status upgrade.   SUPER EXCITED! 

zunilily46 Platinum

What is the Delta Upgrade Status you are talking about? Haven't heard of it.

beauvallonboy Platinum

With the Marriott & SPG rewards programs merging, as you link your accounts you should get the benefits of SPG matching status such as Delta upgrades (https://www.delta.com/profile/spgLanding.action) & vice versa with Marriott if you are first SPG rewards member. Signup for the crossover rewards that Delta & SPG have if you intend to fly Delta anyways I believe.

ms.harris Platinum
          • Earn one Starpoint per dollar spent with Delta Crossover Rewards™ on eligible Delta flights. Plus, enjoy elite benefits when traveling with Delta, such as Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding, Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades, and first checked bag free.

peymanagement Platinum

Congrats ms.harris

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Congrats!  Enjoy all the perks that Platinum gives you!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wwoohoo ms.harris, enjoy those extra points and redeem for something nice!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Enjoy these benefits.  They are wonderful!

YogiB Platinum

Congrats!

I'm hoping to join you in the Platinum Club soon. ;-)

beauvallonboy Platinum

I don't know much you travel or how many stays you may have but is this Platinum Elite or Lifetime member of some sort?  MR has made it easier to reach Lifetime now, so maybe you will reach it sooner unlike when I went through the requirements to reach my Platinum Lifetime membership.

ms.harris Platinum

beauvallonboy  This is Platinum Elite Not LTP.   I realize how hard that is as I had to give LTP up in a business breakup years ago.  I was a Flying Coronal with Delta.  Now even most Delta exec do not know what that is/was.    I look forward to this benefits and hopefully will continue with my status even though my travel is much less than it use to be.   

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Woohoo! Congrats, ms.harris!

monisame Platinum

Enjoy!!!!

australis Gold

Congrats!!!

Jsucool76 Gold

Congrats!

Also, go gators!

davidax Platinum

Congrats ms.harris!

alammari Platinum

Congratulation ms.harris, lucky you, I stayed at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas and they still haven't credited me my nights or my points over a week so I'm stuck in Gold, I hope I get platinum points and benefits by my next stay 2 days from now.

enjoy your status.

beauvallonboy Platinum

How did you like Cosmopolitan?  I haven't stayed there but looks nice.  Good luck in getting your Platinum Elite.

alammari Platinum

very nice, I booked a studio/suite the room was big location was nice, , did not get any Marriott elite benefits though, when I requested an upgrade for a room with a view I was told the hotel was full, will it is vegas and it's always full, aside form not getting a room with a view and the points/nights  not being posited to my account, I would say my stay was great.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Sometimes I question whether or not some hotels actually tells the truth about having available room upgrade to Elite members!  I have seen times when they say fully booked and I look around the hotel and there is no way they can be fully booked! 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Sometimes they say they are fully booked and when you check the website, it shows rooms are available.  Not sure why they feel a need to be dishonest.   Just say "there are no upgrades available."

beauvallonboy Platinum

Agreed but that isn't how it is supposed to work!  If upgrade is available upon check-in t hey are supposed to upgrade period!  They can make up other reasons for not giving upgrades such as too many nights or something which could be reasons for that kind of response.  In my experiences with too many nights...its a win..win if you are guaranteeing them that many nights for room being occupied vs. not.  I guess they can say we can sell that room for more $$$$ than what you are paying or your points being used.

Also your need...while suites are nice but sometimes I stay in king room and decline the suite upgrade because my family doesn't travel with me for work and leave that bigger room for someone that really needs it.

I guess it is just luck of the draw with whom you get upon check-in.  

Good luck on your future stays!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

It doesn't mean they are dishonest. Let's say you have a 5 days stay, Mon-Sat. You arrive Monday. You ask for an upgrade. There is a suite that isn't occupied on Monday but is already booked for Tuesday. Which means even though it's available Monday it's not available for the entirety of your stay. Therefore it's not available.

I get elite upgrades 90% of the time or more.

beauvallonboy Platinum

I understand. I am not saying all hotels are that way.  Sometimes one just get the feeling like they won't upgrade you period.  However for this stay that wasn't the case!  Platinum line told me it was open before I arrive, I looked online after she told me no it wasn't available it was still showing. Then she said they will remove it...I have a 3 night stay and it showed available for it...However, what about the M Club room?  Why put me in the deluxe room (non remodeled room) then when I asked why I wasn't getting same room as last time I stayed the operator check with the front desk then I was quickly provided new room keys to the M Club level room.  That was the best available room and as a Lifetime Platinum member one would think...okay no suite but we'll put them in the same room they had a month ago but that wasn't what she did.....That is why I question these hotel room selections...so it was available but what didn't want to give it to me?  Because of my rate?  Who knows...that isn't what is supposed to happen....no from my understand of the literature they provide us.

alammari Platinum

everyone doubt the "instant upgrade based on availability", I ounces checked in and the  at the front desk told me: you will receive an upgrade to a suite which is the highest upgrade we can offer, then he realized I wasn't the person he was trying to upgrade he wanted to upgrade the man behind me who had similar first name! He apologized and gave me the exact same room I booked for, so I guess he just choose who he wanted to upgrade that night.

I have a friend who is a Marriott Gold, he gets upgraded more than I do despite staying at same hotels, well different times as well, but still I stay more at Marriotts than he does, he even bragged about how many upgrades he received and then asked me if I get upgraded as much, I just changed the subject and didn't answer.

nnevertheless I receievd my nights from the cosmopolitan Vegas so just achieved Platinum, let's see what the Art hotel Ritz-Carlton Barcelona will give me tomorrow.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Sorry to hear that!  I would have challenged him in principal alone for saying he's upgrading you then changing his mind immediately.  Also for you friend getting upgraded but not you!  I am PL and don't always get it, so I take those upgrades, perks etc. with a grain or two of salt!  LOL...

Good luck in your RC in Barcelona because they are even tougher to get upgrades.  Either you pay for the rate to be able to use the RC upgrade vouchers such as what I get as a perk because I have a RC Chase credit card.  My corportate/gov't rate wasn't at the price level to allow me to use the vouchers so that is pointless and I have told Chase about that and they simply said it is the hotel's choice to let clients use it.  So as membership rates keeps getting more expensive and I can't used those vouchers...I may eventually cancel that card and go back to MR credit card instead.

chris0311 Platinum

I second the difficulty of getting an upgrade at Hotel Arts. Except i'd have to go one further... I have never been upgraded at a Ritz Carlton. Every time I ask I basically receive the same response, "you are platinum with Marriott, not the Ritz Carlton". *shrugs*

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

I am Platinum, and received nothing at the Ritz Carlton Hotel Arts  in Barcelona.  When I politely inquired if my Marriott Platinum afforded me any courtesies, the receptionists gave smirks and arrogantly replied that I am not a Ritz Carlton Platinum member. Sigh.  Apparently I was downgraded in their opinion for being a Marriott member instead of a Ritz Carlton member. 

beauvallonboy Platinum

Eyesee...My apologies for not getting the Elite platinum treatment...So the linking SPG, Marriott & RC apparently are not necessarily being recognized, reciprocated etc....I have had no issues maybe because I am a Platinum member of SPG & Marriott that when I linked it and also carried a RC credit card maybe they felt as if I was more of an RC member or something.  None the less it should be 3 for 1 vice versa, but as I mentioned before Europe tends to give nothing away for free especially upgrading to Club level, so if you don't have the free upgrades by carrying the RC credit card or pay for it you will not get it! 

I believe this problem should be challenged further as I believe European hotels treat American clients different when it comes to asking for upgrades that Elite members are supposed to get without asking much less not getting anything!

Alammari....see we should definitely create a new thread...

YogiB Platinum

I just looked up the details.

If you go to the Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions, it will say the following:

Marriott wrote:

Elite Membership Benefits at The Ritz-Carlton Hotels (Available for Members of the Marriott Rewards Program and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Program)

[..]

Additional Platinum and Gold Membership Benefits:

1. Complimentary Room Upgrade: Upgrades are based on room availability at check-in and limited to a member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities and rooms on Executive Floors. Suites are included for Platinum members only. Rooms with direct Club Lounge access are excluded. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.

2. Complimentary Premium Tiered Internet Access: Where available at participating
                      Ritz-Carlton hotels worldwide. Not applicable in meeting rooms.

3. Guaranteed Late Checkout: Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club is excluded from this benefit.

Additional Platinum Membership Benefits:

1. Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift: Platinum Members will receive a welcome amenity of 1000 bonus Points or 500 bonus Miles depending upon their earning preference once the qualifying stay has posted to the Member's account.

2. 48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to a Platinum Member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked at least 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Ritz-Carlton hotels. 48 Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events). Benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates.

3. The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, Member's Rewards Program Membership Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If hotel is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodations nearby for the Elite Member that night, and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A hotel must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/ compensation to apply.

4. Platinum Elite Reservations Line: Exclusive reservations number available for Platinum Elite Members
                      [..]

So next time, bring a copy of the terms & conditions?

In any case, I'd never let the receptionist turn me down on what I should be entitled to. I'd go as far as getting the front desk manager to come to the rescue and if he can't help, the general manager. If they decline, have him write down his reasons by saying: "Apparently there's a major discrepancy between what you've been instructed and what Marriott (owner of RC) promises its guests/clients, so please help me resolve this issue."

beauvallonboy Platinum

As much as I'd like to agree with you on the Upgrades...yes we are supposed to get upgrades but not suites!  RC puts that little * for stating this "Rooms with direct Club Lounge access are excluded; Suites are included for Platinum members only."  Link provided below, but if you carry the RC rewards card, you get 3 7day upgrades but what I have found is that even with those the hotel may not upgrade you based on your hotel prices such as what I encountered at Pentagon City!  Gov rate doesn't work there!  Staff at the front desk told me it isn't worth it to pay for the higher room rate nor upgrade to Club Level! 

http://www.ritzcarlton/en/rewards/benefits or just google Ritz Carlton rewards benefits

Combined Rewards doesn't state no suite upgrades:

Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions

monisame Platinum

Thanks for sharing it. I have a marriott rewards account also an SPG. But I do not have a RC account should I have to open one to get this benefits.

beauvallonboy Platinum

I don't think that is even possible even necessary at this point.  Make sure you link your SPG with Marriott/RC.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there,

beauvallonboy is correct; a separate RC Rewards account is not necessary here; MR Rewards members are entitled to the same benefits as RC Rewards members, and visa versa.

chris0311 Platinum

I hope you enjoy your stay at the Hotel Arts! I had a wonderful time there and it is one of my favorite Ritz Carltons. Everything about it is stunning!

alammari Platinum

Just checked in a while ago, amazing hotel and nice staff, no upgrade though as we all expected, but the Marriott lounge is nice, to be honest I got once an upgrade by Ritz-Carlton Bahrain, from a standard room/garden view to sea view higher level but no lounge.

We should start a thread, everyone who has a Gold or Platinum status to report in the forum or thread after they check in if they got upgraded or not and if they received all their expected benefits, it will give us a better view and idea.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Great idea!  Expected or not, also whether it was just given or actually had to ask for it or remind them of such benefits.  Would you like to kick start this thread?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Good idea alammari and beauvallonboy, which one of you wants to get it going...

The advantage of such a thread is that we all stay regularly so the thread should pretty quickly develop offering an insight into upgrading. My personal experience is that I'm almost always upgraded, though very seldom to suites...

alammari Platinum

Thank you brightlybob. I only was upgraded twice to suite when I was in Kauai and Dubai but the truth was they upgraded everyone even my friend who wasn't a Marriott member coz the hotel was brand new and apparently wanted to create a reputation, which they deserve coz I liked it, other upgrades was like a higher floor or twice a room with a view, I just came from long holiday and stayed at 12 or 13 different Marriott hotels and was upgraded twice only one to a suite in Melbourne and another in Kauai to  a higher level with a sea view the rest was nothing.

does age have a factor in this? I've checked in several times and I can sense they didn't expect me to be a gold or platinum member since I am in the mid 20s, I don't think it really matters just crossed my mind.

beauvallonboy,

any ideas guys to what we should call and what we should explain in the thread ? and should we post it as a question or?

beauvallonboy Platinum

My experience upon check-in is "life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you gonna get!..lol"....

Honestly I have experienced both...too young or older...I am too young to be an executive or to deserve that executive room/suite, so you'll get the basic room. I don't always dress up to be an executive.  Now that I am married with kids it seems like I get more offers than when I was single or traveling along which I can understand unless I am on weeks on end in a room then I will ask for a suite because I usually will bring a lot more stuff for my longer trips.

I was treated like a king in Australia and back then I was only Platinum member, not even a Lifetime Platinum with high or highest floors and suites.  My colleague/friend was also upgraded because I asked the front desk to have him notify me once he arrived and he calls me and says I don't know what you said but thanks for the suite. 

Marriott & SPG have been very good to me but not RC even with my upgrade vouchers. 

Let's see what crafty names we come up with but how about something along the lines "Elite Members Upgraded or not Upgraded".  I don't think we should make it specific to Gold or Platinum, but rather just calling it Elite members.

Yes, some with more seniority probably will get a better chance than others or if they are a frequent guest at certain hotels that front desks knows them on a first or last name basis, such as some of my stays.

I think posting it as a question tends to get more responses don't you think?

alammari Platinum

Very well explained, ssounds about right, those around me who get  constantly  upgraded are seniors, even so some of them are from the royal family, so I guess their royal title is higher than a gold or platinum status.

agreed, we should post it as a question it will get more attention I guess.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Hi alammari,

Would you like me to create the post "Elite Members Upgraded or not Upgraded"?  I checked in my hotel last night at Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills but before checking in I called the platinum line to make sure we have Suite upgrade options and they said yes, I verified this online and there was up until I went to bed.  Upon check-in, the front desk said no they don't have suite upgrade.  I told her platinum line told me and I see it online.  Her response was "we are sold out and we need to remove that from the internet". 

As I mentioned before it seems like some hotels may not be honest and just don't want to give upgrades for free in hopes of getting it sold later on.

Also, they are supposed to put us in "best available room" this having M Club rooms etc...she put us in a deluxe room and when I found this out I called the front desk and asked why I wasn't even put in that type of room.  Lady that answered said hold on for a second...then she came back on and said keys are being sent to my current room and voila...put into the room I was placed just a few weeks ago without even asking! 

I wonder or would like to know if there is a place besides discussions amongst  ourselves that to see we are displeased with what the hotels are supposed to honor upon check-in etc....I understand reporting this to the hotel management/staff may or may not make any difference but Insiders should have a better position in letting hotels know about this.

Let me know I can setup the new post.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Insiders.  When it comes to the upgrades, they are given based on availability and often times what is reflected online may not be the best representation of what is available upon checkin.  Feel free to reach out to one of us Community Managers when you run into issues like these.  We are here to help and can pass along your comments to the appropriate team for review. 

beauvallonboy Platinum

I know and understand what you are saying. However that wasn'tthe case. Suites still shoed up hours after I checked in and was told the hotel was sold out. Please read my post before commenting. 

So what do you suggest? It is after the fact....how are we certain these issues get resolved in future that is our next topic....who actually gets it with or without asking etc...

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I can totally understand your frustrations, beauvallonboy.  This issue is very property specific, so when we are informed of experiences like this, we reach out to the hotel's management to assess the situation.  I would like to do this for your recent stay at the Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills.  Would you mind sending me a direct message with your Rewards number?  That way we'll be able to take a deeper look into this for you and provide better clarity.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Hi Ms. Carat, I'll message you my number.  Thank you

alammari Platinum

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your recent expierence! I know how frustrating it can get to expect a nice stay and then get treated that way,I get excited when  carat  approaches a thread she takes good care of us whenever someone has an issue.

yes go ahead with the thread, I'll be staying in Marriott Abu Dhabi next week and will report back to you in that thread once I check in, probably won't get anything coz it's the F1 weekend but I'll stay optimistic.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Yes, it is good to see this response in looking why....I can definitely under in such events like that you probably won't get a suite because those guys will be throwing money around like sand blows in the wind!  Sorry no offense!  Hopefully you'll get a nice room with a great view! :-)

beauvallonboy Platinum

Thread started "Elite Members Upgraded or not upgraded"

Let's hope you have a surprised upgrade in Abu Dhabi to report! 

tototraveler Platinum

Welcome to the club! Exciting times ahead

npenn Platinum

Congrats, now you can join the millions of us, just kidding .  Enjoy the program.

beauvallonboy Platinum

LOL...Really I wonder how many there are in the world!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...