8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2016 7:27 AM by brightlybob RSS

Bait & Switch??

philyourbags Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Back in mid-May of this year, I booked 2 rooms at the Residence Inn in Katy TX for early February 2017 (hoping my team makes it to the Super Bowl in Houston!).  The rooms I booked were priced at $184 per night.  This morning (10/15/16) I was scrolling through various reservations and discovered that this property not only had raised my rate to $240 per night, but booked it as "prepay in full".  I am fighting with Marriott over this now.  Has anyone else had a similar experience, whereby you discover that your reservation has mysteriously been "altered"?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Bait & Switch??
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

no it has not and I have on a couple of occasions booked real early knowing rates would go up and I never had them changed . I would expect Cara will ask you for more detail .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi philyourbags,

I'm sorry to hear this, and would be happy to look into this for you. Please send me a private message with your Rewards number and Reservation number, on top of any additional details you're able to provide (original booking date and confirmation screenshot, any names of Marriott associates you've spoken with via phone or at the hotel).

Thank you.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm not understanding how it could be prepaid in full if you didn't pay anything up front.  Does it have a date with which you are supposed to pay?

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Never happened to me. I regularly make reservation 6 months or more in advance and have never had one altered. Let us know the final result.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I t has never happened to me!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Neither has it happened to me.  In fact I've currently got a reservation right across the street from another type of sporting event that I made the first day you were able to book a room and have not seen this rate go up even though it's not for the Super Bowl.

insertcoffee Platinum

I've heard of this many times over the years for special events booking, in particular as it gets closer to the date of said event (both raising the price as well as requesting full payment well ahead of time).  I'm sure with some googling, you can find many similar stories. In the instances I followed, it was a mixed bag whether the guest or the hotel 'won'. None of those cases was on this forum.

I hope you are able to get this resolved favourably. I would be really irked if I had sunk costs in airfare and SB tickets and then something squirrely was going on with my lodging (I know you didn't get the SB tickets yet).

I think a lot of people go 'prospecting' after the res gates open in a SB city.  I can understand following up to make sure people are actually going to stay as it gets closer, but the price jacking piece is really an annoyance.

Let us know how it works out.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Firstly, check if they've taken the $240. They may not have. I had this happen to me once before on a prepay and like you looked at my booking online shortly before checkin  to find the rate had magically increased. So I started to gather together my information for a battle, pulling out my original email cofirmation and checking my credit card for the deduction, only to find the original prepay figure had been deducted shortly after booking and no other. So I let it slide and duly checked in without any trouble at my original rate.

I also had a similar experience very recently with a stay a month ago at the Hamilton Residence Inn, NJ. At the time I made my reservation in mid 2016 it was a Cat2 but by the time I stayed it had been bumped up to a Cat3. My email confirmation of course showed 10k (Cat2) points but my online reservation showed 15k - although no deduction for the extra 5k points was made from my MR account. Again it all proceeded smoothly...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...