10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2014 10:25 PM by politicalman RSS

DO NOT GO to Courtyard Marriott in Charleston

perryville Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I have stayed in over 10 different Marriott hotels over the past year.  I joined their rewards program and have been satisfied at each place.  I usually just stop on the road and check in.  This weekend for Valentines I took my wife and daughter to Charleston.  I made the mistake of making reservations without looking at the actual place first. 

I arrived a couple of hours early, without looking anything up the clerk told me to come back at 3:00.  Someone in the back overheard and told her to look up my reservation and behold, the room was ready to check-in. 

Inside the room, there was a faint smoke smell, when it was listed as non-smoking, there were rips in the carpet and stains all over the desk and lounge chair. 

I will say the cleaning ladies were very nice, and the room was past what they could do to fix.  It just plain needs new carpet, paint and furniture. 

I was extremely disappointed and will not make a reservation at a Marriott without checking it out in person from now on, especially when I could stay at a hotel for 1/2 the rate that is as good as shape, if not better.

Pics are coming soon of the carpet and chairs......

Just a follow up.  It took a while, but they added 1500 reward points to my account and refunded one of the nights, which I felt was fair. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: DO NOT GO to Courtyard Marriott in Charleston
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Consider reporting the conditions encountered to Customer.Care@Marriott.com

In the Subject: Disappointing Stay at the Courtyard Charleston Confirmation #12345678

In the Body of the e-mail, describe how the reservation was booked, the time you checked in, who you spoke with and the room conditions encountered. 

If you were charged for the room, consider asking for a complete refund including bonus points as compensation for the inconvenience.

Marriott's promise is to ensure that you leave relaxed, revived and reengerized.  Based upon the conditions encountered, the Courtyard Charleston failed to deliver upon the promise.

Customer.Care will reply via email with a Tracking ID promising to contact you w/in 3 - 5 business days.  If that does not happen, resend the e-mail and request to speak with Customer Care.  Typically, someone from the property will be contacted to contact you.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks for that warning!

We're going to be at the Charleston Marriott in a little over a week and I will post a review of the condition of that hotel and make peek in on the CY just for fun!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

You didn't say in your post which of the three Charleston Courtyard hotels you had the problem at, or maybe I just missed it.  Was it the NoChas, West of the Ashley, or East of the Cooper location?  Thanks.

perryville Silver

It was the Waterfront Courtyard on Lockwood Dr.  Thanks for the advice about the customer care.  I will do so.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Perryville:

Recent reviews of the Marriott Courtyard Charleston Riverview at TripAdvisor.com are consistent with what you describe.  Keep in mind that Marriott owns very few hotels.  It appears that the franchise that operates this property is doing a grave disservice to loyal Marriott guests.  Marriott properties are supposed to be refurbished on a schedule.  Every 5 years, softgoods are updated, and hardgoods replaced every 10 years.  The negative reviews make evident that management has past this point. 

Echoing Stepping Stones, thank you for the warning.  My wife and I are particularly fond of Marriott properties located on or near the waterfront.  Tudor Wharf are just a handful of wonderful stays.  We are thinking about a trip to South Carolina and the Charleston waterfront is on our itinerary.  What a godsend!  

When contacting Customer.Care, be factual and purposeful.  Set your objective on a full refund and bonus compensation.  I would not settle for anything less.

During your upcoming trip to CHS, consider the Renaissance in the Charleston Historic District.  Much nicer property than any other in the area, and in a much better area.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"consider the Renaissance in the Charleston Historic District"

NUHusker - thanks for the tip on the Ren

My opinion, and it has nothing to do with the fact that my wife's from Charleston, and is pinching me while I type this...there's very few places I've been that have the charm, hospitality, and absolutely delicious food as Charleston.  Enjoy!!!

tazmaniandevil Gold

Stayed in room #1004, be ware!  I don't know what the problem is but the window "sweats" (condensation) to the point where you can see water accumulation all over the inside window frame and the carpet gets soaked.  That's why the mold smell (and mold is visual as well) and the poor condition of wall, curtains, drapes, etc. Other than that all else was good as far as service and facility.

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

We recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn Charleston North Ashley Phosphate and it is great.  Good people, clean rooms, and a great local beer at happy hour Palmetto.  

We also stayed at a non-Marriott property the Wyndom Mills House which was a grand place to stay.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...