9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2016 12:52 PM by guidedog613 RSS

Austin, Texas...looking for some helpful Insiders info

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Road trip to Austin, Texas to see some NCAA football. We are staying at the JW and I am looking for any insight as to favorite food haunts, any interesting bars, sights we shouldn't miss etc.  The only thing on the schedule is the Longhorns game(oldest son is a huge Longhorns fan and this trip is celebrating his 35th birthday). Anybody have information about the tailgating that goes on before a Longhorns game?  Tailgating is not big in Canada so not sure how this works, any explanations are more than welcome. _

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Austin, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts
  • Re: Austin, Texas...looking for some helpful Insiders info
    erc Platinum

I'll post so at the very least it keeps the thread alive.

I chatted with one of my 'baseball boys' (who is now a man around your son's age) and he says whereas the individual camps can appear chaotic, it's actually somewhat organized (in a crazy 'everything is bigger' in Texas way) .  He lead me to these two sights as a beginning primer to give you an overview. The first one is about the process at UT (and most elsewhere) in general with local off sites and the second one shows some specific opportunities.

http://do512.com/p/texas-tailgating

http://tailgateguys.com/texashome

Now of course,  razorbackfan  can probably give you the real lowdown from her SWC Frank Broyles/Darrell Royal rivalry (as well as her Saints expertise), although she probably wasn't even allowed in the War Memorial Stadium , now named the Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at Joe Jamail Field http://www.texassports.com/sports/2013/7/24/facilities_0724133148.aspx

Joe was IAHFLYR's Houston neighbor and was the King of Torts when he took on the Texaco purchase of Pennzoil, winning himself and his client beaucoup dinero.

I visited the stadium in the off season, allow ample time - it's huge and quite impressive, so the crowds will be also.

Be sure to check out Austin City Limits right across from the JW and keep an eye out for the JW's outdoor bar on the corner, they have an excellent happy hour (with good food and drink at good prices). Hook 'em Horns

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

erc  Those were the days!  The Arkansas-Texas rivalry started in 1894 with Texas winning over the Hogs 54-0.  Fast forward 75 years and the "Game of the Century" was played in Fayetteville in 1969, my sophomore year at Arkansas. Television coverage was celebrating the 100th anniversary of college football. Campus was in a frenzy as the SWC rivalry game drew closer.  President Nixon was in attendance and from what I've read, congratulated Texas on being the National Champion when they beat Arkansas 15-14 when Penn State could also have been in the running for that title. Needless to say, the team and the fans were devastated by the loss.

While I was a student, I remember going to a couple of games in Austin, but my memories are vague. I don't remember anything about the tailgating, but the links you gave Guidedog613 are great. Their stadium is now in its 92nd season of operation.  I remember it as being huge when I went to games there and I know it has been expanded, so it must be "huger" now. I was always impressed by their band. We played the Longhorns in the 2014 Texas Bowl in Houston.  The Hogs won the game 31-7.  That game was played about a month after my 2nd knee replacement, but I was determined to go, even though I still had to use a walker.

I bet it has been 7 or 8 years since we have been to Austin, but I remember all the great Mexican restaurants and BBQ restaurants including aberwarn's recommendation of Franklin BBQ and nationwide's recommendations of Saltlick and Ironworks BBQ.  We also remember a BBQ joint located in what was once a service station, but we have never been able to find it on later visits.  I prefer pork, but enjoy the brisket when in Texas.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Shhhhh don't be telling folks Uncle Joe was my neighbor and no I don't mean Uncle Joe from Petticoat Junction either.

aberwarn Silver

If you like BBQ, go to Franklin Barbecue.

Keep in mind that you have to get there early and wait in line, but it's quite the experience.  A good dessert choice is the pecan pie!

Have fun and Hook 'em Horns!!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

eclektech and  I went to a convention in Austin last year.  There is a Fleming's restaurant right across from the convention center and near your hotel.  It was a very well run restaurant and the food was excellent.

nationwide Platinum

Guidedog613, Austin is a blast!  There are great restaurants and bars galore in Austin, and a great number of venues to enjoy live music too! 

• Guerro's on South Congress is fantastic Mexican food - an absolute must while you are in town.
    • The Continental Club on Saturday nights is an awesome concert venue.
    • Franklin's BBQ is terrific, as is Saltlck (outside of town) and Black's BBQ between Austin and Houston (depending on your roadtrip itinerary.  Ironworks BBQ on 1st and RedRiver has incredible ribs!!!  Stiles Switch BBQ on Lamar is another great choice!  (if you can't tell, I am into the BBQ scene)
    • Magnolia Cafe is a fantastic breakfast stop.

And here's a great link to a number of the more prominent tailgates:

A Guide To Longhorn Tailgating

AZDesertRat Platinum

Guidedog613 - In addition to the others' suggestions, if time permits you might want to visit the Texas State History Museum, which is fabulous.  Also well worth visiting are the State Capital building and the LBJ Presidential Library.  On the lighter side, see the show at Esthers' Follies (not a strip joint), where they put on short satirical bits about all things political and Texas in a show that's really fun and entertaining.  Hard not to enjoy Austin, where my son moved from Los Angeles two years ago.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Really great suggestions here and will add to them as a newly planted Austin-ite. Tailgating is big for UT games and many people go all out, but not to worry,  Austin is very friendly.  I would suggest bringing a small spread of food and beverage. The HQ for Whole Foods is downtown and they have a great deal of prepared foods, which would be perfect for what you are doing.  Aside from tailgating, below are some of my Austin must-do's.

• My Austin brunch staple is Kerbey Lane, with locations all over the city.  It is a great cafe with the best queso I've ever had, their pancakes are also extremely delicious. Truth be told, all of their food is delicious and I've never had a bad dish.
    • Franklin's is definitely a must if you are into BBQ.  Like others have said, you have to get there early, they only make a certain amount of food and will close once it is sold out.
    • Another great authentic Mexican restaurant is Fonda San Miguel.  A great spot for Mexican martinis. 
    • Some great hiking options, if you are interested, are The Green Belt, Lady Bird Lake, and Mount Bonnell. These are great spots to see the beauty of Austin and the Texas hill country.

There are so many great options in Austin, it is hard to make a bad choice. Enjoy the game and the tailgate Guidedog613!!

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Thanks to all for your helpful tips and suggestions. The boys have been researching all the information that you have offered and are anxious to get going tomorrow morning.

Thanks again....Texas here we come!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...