4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2016 10:17 AM by seatexan RSS

Do you check your points when they post?

7 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just completed two two-night stays in Barcelona at two different properties. I don't normally pay much attention to the points posting, but I happened to check this time since I was completing the MegaBonus and I noticed something odd. Both hotels earned about the same amount of points despite one stay costing roughly double the price of the other.

These are just rough estimates using today's exchange rates and counting the room only at the AC and all charges at the Renaissance (I'm not sure if taxes are "qualifying charges" or not though).

AC Hotel Sants = ~$120/night (room only) x 2 = 240x10pts/$ = 2400 base points while my statement shows 3,156 (2,104 base + 1,052 Elite)

Renaissance Barcelona = total charged was 564.30EUR or ~$620x10pts/$ = 6,200 base while my statement shows 3,167 (1,111 base + 556 Elite+ 1,500 extra)

So, am I just doing something wrong with these calculations or am I getting short-changed here?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do you check your points when they post?
    nationwide Platinum

7 - it would appear as though you were short-changed, but we are missing some needed info.  What were the details of your charges at the Renaissance?  e.g. Room rate?  Restaurant? etc.   taxes typically do not earn points, so you would exclude that from your calculation.

Regrettably, I have made a habit of calculating a points forecast for each stay, and I compare it to the points awarded when they post.  We shouldn't have to do that, however, when you get shorted a few times it compels you to check the hotel's work.  This has become much more necessary in recent years with the introduction of points for skipping housekeeping, in lieu of breakfast, or as a substitute for expected levels of service...sigh. Chasing points through the hotel, platinum line, customer service etc has become such a pain.  If Starwood has a platform for the accurate awarding of earned points, Marriott should mimic it system-wide, as their properties get this wrong far more often than they should. 

The only saving grace in this arena is the helpful moderator team here on Insiders.  Armed with your MR number and reservation number (or portfolio), they manage to get things accomplished that a call center full of customer care agents seemingly cannot.  If you break your bill out and you were shorted, ask for their help, as they will happily provide it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

There was no restaurant or anything at Renaissance. Just room rate + taxes. Room rate by itself was 252EUR/Night so 504EUR total which would be about $550 so it should've been about 5500 base points.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Points aren't awarded on taxes and all EU rates include VAT. Hence after deducting €42 VAT and at $1.05€ it would seem your AC is about right. However your Barcelona points seem very short to me, which is not an uncommon experience in Europe. The VAT on €564 is about €100 which means approx €465 is pointearning which at $1.05/€ is roughly $485, or 4,850 base points to which you should add Plat bonus and any other points such as Green Choice or Plat amenity. I would say I have to chase up 1 in 5 EU stays for meaningful shorting (i.e. Over 500 points).

My advice, call the Plat line with your invoice to hand...

seatexan Platinum

It would seem like US Marriotts are WAY better than ones outside the US.  I usually just kind of glance at the points and if they are close, looks good to me. But I was looking at stays the other day and noticed a HUGE difference in points from the JW Marriott Guanacate in Costa Rica. 

I got 2.7k base points on a 2 night stay.... 0.o say what!? Anyway, I had also charged EVERYTHING to the room and right before I left, I went to get the updated bill.  I am so glad I did, b/c they didn't even e-mail me a bill. 

It was quickly fixed due to the amazing team we have here on this site .

Not sure why it's harder for hotel's to post proper points outside of the US.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...