13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2016 5:26 PM by psudad RSS

Budapest - Marriott or Boscolo?

pete1976 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all, new to the forum, planning a trip to Budapest for my wife and I for our 10th wedding anniversary and can't decide between the Budapest Marriott or Boscolo Budapest.  Any advice?  We are gold members (which gives the best benefits?) and will be paying on points (they are both category 7 so no difference there).

Many thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Budapest, Hungary Marriott Hotels & Resorts Budapest Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Budapest - Marriott or Boscolo?
    pete1976 Gold

Anyone got any thoughts?  I'm leaning towards the Budapest Marriot at the moment - city views and lounge over spectacular building!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

monisame Platinum

Well. My votes go to the Boscolo.

The Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection occupies an elegant 19th-century building in the heart of Budapest, close to the Opera and Andrássy Boulevard. It  has a spa area offers  a relaxation pool with hot tub functions, such as sauna, and steam bath.

The hotel's heart is the New York Café, with its wonderful frescoes and gilded stucco columns.  The Salon Fine Dining restaurant reinvents traditional Hungarian cuisine and has been awarded The Hop-on Hop-off bus stop is just in front of the hotel.

It does not offer CL but they offer me a great breakfast at the New York Cafe.

My experience there was awesome in anyway.

Enjoy!!!!!

droma Platinum

You won't go wrong, Budapest is incredible.  The Boscolo is beautiful, but I'd have to recommend the Marriott, especially as a gold of platinum member.  The lounge is awesome.  The location is perfect.  See my full review of the service here Re: Honeymoon Success - Best Marriott Service (Budapest & Prague)

Also, definitely consider emailing ahead and letting them know of the occasion, they really went out of their way for me!

pete1976 Gold

Thanks for the replies droma and monisame.  This is proving a difficult choice!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've stayed at the Boscolo a couple of years ago, a historic building meticulously restored its foyer is utterly beautiful, the rooms are wonderful and it actively upgrades Golds and Plats, when there a couple of years ago as a Gold I received an upgraded suite. I can say that jointly with the Renaissance St Pancras, this is the most stunning Marriott brand hotel I've stayed in. If you're looking for an extra special room and a very extra special restaurant, the Boscolos New York Cafe will not fail to disappoint... And your free Gold breakfast takes place there every morning - in fact so authentic is the New York Cafe that whilst we were there a Victorian period drama was being filmed using the hotel foyer and New York Cafe as a backdrop, the costumes were stunning!!!

I can't yet comment on the Marriott other than to say I've seen its exterior, and gosh, it's an UGLY building, though that's no problem to those staying in it! Unlike the Boscolo which has a distinctly urban location, the Marriott is in the banks of the Danube, so the views from some rooms should be authentic Danube... I have also heard very great things about the Lounge and as it happens I will be there in 2 days time on Thursday night so will report back to you on this thread at the weekend...

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

It's exterior may be ugly but the views from the CL and from some of the upper floors facing the river are spectacular.  To be honest, I spent a lot more time looking out my window than at the hotel. 

It has one of my top 3 CLs with spectacular deserts,

OK, Pete, so I'm here at the Marriott Budapest, but let me first mention the Courtyard where I stayed last night.

On arrival from my late running flight at 2am the receptionist was speedy and straightforward. Nice upgraded room with a balcony on the corner from which I could see the Boscolo, a literal 3 minute walk away. Clean room, no free Plat breakfast, as is the case for the brand as a whole but some non-USA CYs do go beyond brand standard on that point, not this one though. Big room and lovely shower. Strangely the bed wasn't that great, though quite comfy the mattress was covered with a crinkly sounding plastic sheet which I felt was pretty low rent. Nonetheless for a cheap arrival night the CY is fine, and sometimes rates at the Marriott and Boscolo can be mad so the CY could represent better value. A crinkly plastic-coated bed does not however make for a romantic stay with your loved one!

Later that morning I checked out of the CY, dropped off my luggage at the Marriott and took a taxi to my day's work. Upon my return I was allocated a 7th floor room overlooking the Danube. Straightforward Marriott room, but with the lovely comfy Marriott bed, no plastic!!! The Exec lounge, well, I'll be reviewing that later but I can safely say it's one of the most spectacular I've visited, 2 hot evening options, regularly replenished, breads, cheeses, pickles and beautiful desserts. It also serves afternoon tea and breakfast, though if you have the time you can take the breakfast in the hotel restaurant instead. Evening alcohol is freely available - red and white wine, with the beers being Dreher and Heineken. Help yourself. Also, and this is a first ever, a small selection of free spirits. The only other lounge that does free spirits is (as far as I know) the Renaissance St Pancras, but free spirit hours at the Ren are limited and must be ordered from the lounge staff. Here at the Budapest Marriott the bottles are set up at 5pm and there they remain till 9:30pm. Help yourself, hic!

The choice between the Marriott and the Boscolo is therefore

1. BOSCOLO - a unique and truly beautiful hotel with a high chance of a suite upgrade with corner baths and a great free full breakfast in the breathtaking New York Cafe. Location is nothing special however, being on a main thoroughfare. Plan your route and it's an atmospheric 15 minute walk to the Danube.

2. MARRIOTT - a straightforward up to spec European Marriott, this, rooms not especially big, showers (no baths) only in the kings. Spectacular views of the Danube. One of the best Exec lounges in Marriott-Dom.

My choice...

My apologies to the Marriott, but it's not even close... Alcohol isn't expensive in Budapest, and neither is food. The Boscolo is truly unique and as you're here with your wife on your 10th anniversary, there's no comparison... Boscolo, Boscolo, Boscolo. Every time, Boscolo.

But, if you're here on biz, or with some mates or family and want a lounge then you'll scour the world for a long time to find many lounges that compare to the Budapest Marriott. Believe me, however, the rooms are nothing special, except of course for the Danube view.

pete1976 Gold

Wow thank you for the fantastic review Bob.  I'd decided on the Marriott right until I got to the two paragraphs!!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Just booked several rooms for next fall at the Boscolo, to wrap up a week of cruising the Danube.

monisame Platinum

Great choice. Tell us later. Enjoy your trip psudad

Will do, looking forward to it.

ABsolutely, do tell us all about it, sounds like a great trip, and you'll certainly be rounding it off well at the Boscolo!

Thanks!  The prior 7-8 days will be in Prague for two, then on a Uniworld River Cruise down the Danube.  First river cruise, looking forward to it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...