23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2016 5:07 PM by john_thai RSS

What is the policy of e-cigarettes on Marriott Properties?

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am on vacation at Ritz Carlton in Florida and there is an individual smoking an e-cigarette. I thought that e-cigs had the same restrictions as tobacco; does anyone have insight into this topic?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
e-cigs
  • Re: What is the policy of e-cigarettes on Marriott Properties?
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

It's too new.. Nobody has really developed firm policies.

One of the problems with e-cigs is that there are 2 general types. One is the small white device that looks like a regular cigarette. It puts out almost no smoke. My wife smokes those and even when we're in the car together I can't tell that she's using it. The other type are the "bongs" that put out clouds of smoke. Much, much more smoke than even a regular cigarette. More like e-cigars. So there really needs to be 2 types of regs. But there won't be.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mustanggt Platinum

As a former smoker I am very sensitive to second hand smoke.  I have been seated at a bar next to people smoking both types of e-cigs mentioned by john_thai and have been bothered by the smoke (no matter how invisible it was).  In my mind smoking is smoking.  E-cigs should follow the same rules as regular tobacco products.  The last thing we need are separate rules for every possible device or situation that comes along.  Next up will be rules for smoking medical marijuana while seated at a bar to overcome drinking disorders!

cjmarriott Silver 1 Reviews

I agree.  I am very sensitive to smoke and even smoke in people's clothes.  So, yes, even e-cigs should be included, regardless of the type of e-cig.  People with allergies have a tough time with smoke.

I'm also a former smoker and very sensitive to smoke. I used to make my wife smoke outside. I nearly go arrested at Orly airport when a guy lit up a cigarette right next to me while he and his friends were standing right under a "No Smoking" sign. When I objected they said they had a democracy and his group had just voted to make this a smoking area. His cigarette immediately hit the ground and it wasn't his idea. They called a cop over and tried to have me arrested. Didn't work.

That's my attitude toward people smoking near me.

When I'm in my car I can smell that the guy in the car next to me is smoking because some of it drifts into my car. But I can't smell the ecigs that my wife is smoking next to me. Your experience may vary.

Point being smoking little ecigs and vaping on bongs are really quite different.

peymanagement Platinum

But John, What is in the vapour they exhale? I have no idea, but I can not imagine it is good for you.

mustanggt Platinum

If it was good for you they would be allowed to sell them to children...But they can't, so it isn't!

Banning something requires more than just that, I would think. Back to the old argument about auto exhaust. I'm sure that there are bad chemicals in the smoke. The question is quantity. As doctors say, the dosage makes the poison.

Jsucool76 Gold

I can't tell you about every e-liquid, but most contain only vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, and flavoring (they may or may not contain nicotine depending on how you buy it)

All of those ingredients can be found in household items that you likely breathe in anyways, like air fresheners.

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm a vaper myself, and i'll be honest and say I vape in hotel rooms.

I usually won't do it in restaurants (unless there is outdoor seating) but will sometimes at bars. If I'm vaping inside in a public area indoors (IE: An area that doesn't allow smoking), i'll usually just hold the vape in until it condenses and then nothing comes out.

I was doing this at tipple in both the hotel bar, as well as a few of the places we went. Hopefully it didn't bother anyone, and if it did, speak up next time and i'll stop.

chobbits Platinum

I hate these things. Becoming a big nuisance now and it wont be long (I would suggest) before they are banned from public places too.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Insiders, here to shed a little light for you all. The smoking policy for our properties pertains to e-cigarettes as well.

mustanggt Platinum

Great news...Thank you Marriott!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I love that answer carat, now how do you get that out to all properties to enforce when need be????

Never having smoked I am one who very much dislikes smoke period, just my prerogative.  Even the e-cigs are annoying especially when the person blows this huge mushroom cloud of it up in the air to just settle down around everyone.  To me that cloud of stuff whatever it is has some bad things in it as well as a very strong odor that I just don't enjoy period.

Jsucool76 honestly, I didn't even notice you doing the vape at the TIPPLE so you must be one of the courteous users and thank you for that.

Jsucool76 Gold

Happy to hear that!

There's nothing I hate more than a d-bag who is sitting in a restaurant blowing giant clouds for no reason.

Reminds me of a scene from the movie 'Big Trouble"

Big Trouble Smoking Scene - YouTube

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Good question, IAHFLYR! All the hotels in the U.S. are on-smoking. When the policy was set in place, each hotel's leadership team received a notification are required to implement the policy in the hotels.

lindseyh,

Right, I understand however; I was referring to enforcement of no e-cigarettes as well.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Not to worry, IAHFLYR, the smoking policy enforcement refers to both electric and non-electric cigarettes. Through my recent travels, I've begun to notice the ban of smoking in whole cities, like Golden CO.  Fun fact: Golden is home to the Coors Brewery.

carat while it may very well apply to electric and non-electric cigarettes it is not enforced as such, proof right here on this thread when Jsucool76 wrote that he was using his e-cig at the TIPPLE in the hotel and nothing was said by any employee.

My point is the word should go out in clear terms so everyone knows the policy and no gray areas, to both Associates and guests.

seatexan Platinum

Mmmm beer!

peymanagement Platinum

Great news carat,

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for clarifying that carat

cjmarriott Silver 1 Reviews

Great news!  Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...