30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2016 12:23 PM by psudad RSS

Rome Marriott Flora or Bahamas Atlantis

neverstoptraveling2016 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone!  I'm new to Marriott Rewards insiders, though I've been traveling using Miles and Points for a while.  I've been a Hilton and SPG member for a while.  I just started accruing Marriott points and I have just enough for 5 free night at the Rome Marriott Flora plus 150euro/night or 5 free nights at the Atlantis resort in Bahamas, if I'm reading the various bloggers correctly.  Which would you recommend I save the points for?  Is the Rome Marriott Flora a better use of my points or save it for Atlantis and find another less expensive hotel to stay in?

Thank you!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome Marriott Flora
roma italy
  • Re: Rome Marriott Flora or Bahamas Atlantis
    donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

You need to decide where you want to go. Italy or Bahamas.  Not much of a decision really, Italy. I would look at other options in Rome too under Marriott Flag.  Your questions is Apples and Oranges.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I want to do both.  I was thinking about Bahamas for spring break and Italy for summer vacation.  The question really was is the Marriott Roma worth 180K points plus 150 euros a night, or should I just save my 180K points and use it in the Bahamas and find alternative hotels in Rome.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

No contest! Rome Grand Flora - no threat of hurricanes here, and hotel is good location for walking to area attractions.

Excellent!  Thank you!  I went ahead and booked the Rome Marriott.I'm excited to be there next year.

If you happen to be Marriott Platinum member, you might get room upgrade; however, all rooms are quite nice.  They only have ONE non-smoking floor, so if you prefer this, you might request ahead of time.

Also, the buffet breakfast if fabulous at Grand Flora, and when my wife and I were there we were awarded two free breakfasts each day. We waited until about 10:30-11:0 am each day to eat and therefore saved having to also take lunch out.

If you happen to be Marriott Platinum member, you might get room upgrade; however, all rooms are quite nice.  They only have ONE non-smoking floor, so if you prefer this, you might request ahead of time.

Also, the buffet breakfast if fabulous at Grand Flora, and when my wife and I were there we were awarded two free breakfasts each day. We waited until about 10:30-11:0 am each day to eat and therefore saved having to also take lunch out.

Unfortunately, I'm just going to make Gold by the end of the year since I've been staying at the Hilton until the past 2 months, so no Plat benefits for me. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, once you make gold neverstoptraveling2016 ask for a Plat challenge, 9 stays to Plat, that might get you to Plat in time for one or both of these stays. See Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

Turning to your conundrum, I'm taking the view you're not looking for advice between the 2 destinations as you're planning to visit both next year, but rather which one is best to redeem at. Firstly because the Flora has so many different room classifications it's too easy on the redemption page to miss the basic free redemption rooms, classified deluxe which are at the very bottom of the list, the redemption is 180,000 points, no cash contribution required. This hotel typically goes at about €1,200 to €1,800 for 5 nights during summer which at €1,800 makes it a good redemption in my book, but €1,200 is poor value for your 180,000 points. In any event I would see whether better value could be found at  the Atlantis.

Redeeming at the Atlantis is a complicated affair that has to be done by phone. Not all the Towers at the Atlantis are redeemable at all times, some never are, and sometimes all that's offered is points and copay. All I can say is that looking late March the only tower offered was the Royal which for the 5 nights I looked at was $3,000. As it's a category 8 hotel 5 nights will be 160,000 points and that would therefore be the better value redemption option instead of the Flora. BUT you will need to check your values carefully, the Atlantis is probably the most complex redemption option of the entire Marriott inventory worldwide...

Thank you brightlybob.  I was looking to see where to better utilize my points.  I did read on the Atlantis resort and it would seem that redemption is hit or miss and the costs even after the room may not make it worthwhile.  Because we are a family of 4, the only hotel that has availability for points plus cash upgrade in June next year is the Boscolo Exedra.  The hotel is currently 561/night for a 4-person room. That comes to 4172  with taxes and fees.  I think the value of staying in a nice hotel in Rome in a central location with food choices for my family's first trip there ever would be awesome.

Thank you for the tip on the Plat challenge.  I will get to gold mid November!

notorious-5150 Platinum

There are a lot of Atlantis Trip Packages that you can take advantage of - so booking Italy was a good decision.  

monisame Platinum

Roma is the better choice, no doubt.. Bahamas is so nice but no history and art  there only relax and shopping. Gran Flora is a great Property. But I will choose the Boscolo Excedra is really amazing in every way. They offer a great breakfast and also upgrades. Pretty new,  the decor is fabolous and the location is perfect.!!!  What else!! . Price is almost the same and points to redeem  too. Perhpas you want to consider it.

Location Brand Hotel
    roma italy

Now I'm torn.  I did see the Boscolo but I was researching on the forum and many were raving about the Grand Flora.  Both are near sites.  Pros for the Grand Flora is there's a garden near it.  I have 2 young children ages 4 and 8.  Are there many food choices near one or the other?  I'm so tempted to change the reservation to the Boscolo now.

Snail5930 Gold

I've been in Marriott Grand Hotel Flora. Because it is near the park at the end of the street, there are not many places to eat.

Awesome.  Thank you for your response.  I ended up choosing the Boscolo because that's the only hotel that has availability for a room with 4-person occupancy.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

neverstoptraveling2016 we stayed at the Boscolo Exedra two years ago and loved it. Great breakfast, lovely upgrade, beautiful hotel and great staff. Enjoy your trip to Rome

Excellent!  I'm on my way to Gold and I'm hoping that I will be able to do the Plat Challenge in January when I've reached Gold in December.  I'd be satisfied with the standard room in the hotel from what everyone has been describing, but a room upgrade sounds lovely.

monisame Platinum

Oh yes there many food choices arround.  It is placed in a great location, we enjoyed being able to walk to most all of our points of interest.The hotel is situated in the heart of the city. We were able to safely walk to all the major attractions except the Vatican. The service was exceptional, the rooms very clean, and well stocked. Breakfast awesome. Beleive Boscolo Exedra is  outrageously fabulous. Villa Borghese the park is really so close too since  Grand Flora is ten minutes walk from the Exedra. Plus Gran Flora is not well rated

Did you have children with you?  I'm trying to compile a list of food places that are children friendly.  Also, how did you get to the hotel?  I was thinking of a taxi since we have children.  Should I pre-arrange it ahead of time?

monisame Platinum

I travelled alone with my husband. Where to eat ???  in the corner you will find Eataly. Very nice place with great Italian options for breaktast, lunch, tea and early dinner.  Mamma Angela,s offers roman and italian food with outstanding service. Tazio is located at the hotel and it is casual, The Concierge will be happy to make reservations and to recomend places to go out for  . Transportarion is not a problem just take a taxi. You are four as I can see so for you is the best option it will cost you almost 50EUR. The hotel is really close to Termini so if you are travelling from FCO Airport there is a train a pretty fast one, that runs form Termini to the airpot with no stops.

Thank you.  I'll plan on taking the taxi.  I love Eataly, as we have a version of it in Chicago.  I'm glad the hotel is near one in Rome!  I'm adding the other places to my list too!

monisame Platinum

How not to love Eataly. It is just in the corner of The Boscolo. I stayed last year in Chicado and I did not see it.- I missed it. Well nex time. Enjoy your trip. 

If you're in Chicago again, Eataly is barely 2 short blocks west of the Mag Mile Marriott!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I love the Grand Flora.  Stayed there a week in 2014.  We love that part of town for lodging and dining.  Have stayed in that same neighborhood two other times, but at smaller private hotels.  Can't go wrong.  Breakfast on the rooftop every morning is quite the treat!

If you are staying at the Grand Flora.  There are a number of nice restaurants close by.  One I would HIGHLY recommend would be Osteria 44.  Sergio will take excellent care of you.  We just sent our neighbors there (5 of them) and they ended up spending 5 hours there, over dinner and wine.  Superb.  Another great place, a few blocks away is San Marco.  Excellent Roman pizza, other great dishes, excellent desserts and wine.  Ristorante Sardegna - just down the street.  Wonderful Sardegnian seafood restaurant.  Girarrosto Toscano - excellent and right around the corner from the hotel, across from the Roman wall,   At dessert, they bring a bottle of vinsanto and cantuccini (small biscotti).  Right on the corner, next to San Marco is a wonderful little wine shop which also serves wine, and little nibbles, called Enoteca Peluso.  On the side of the hotel, there is a little place called Lotti.  Great place to pick up a bottle of wine, get some gelato, sandwiches or a reasonable, homemade dinner.  Let me know if you need more.

Thank you!  I'll add them to my list as I know we will be in that area.  Unfortunately, the Gran Flora has no rooms available for 4 persons so we are staying at the Boscolo.

homoviator Platinum

When I read the question, my immediate question was are there children involved.  I've travelled a lot to Europe with 1 kid in tow.  A week in Rome with a kid or two wouldn't really be a vacation for me.  We've done it, but it's not great.  They wear out on long walks and there really isn't a lot for them to see or enjoy like there is for adults. I've done Venice Berlin Madrid and Paris with a very chill kid and frankly I found it frustrating because the kinds of places I would like to go to were practically impossible for a kid to enjoy.  I ended up at way more parks than I wanted to while I was paying to be in cities that I couldn't really enjoy. 

I've complained about Atlantis because it's not completely integrated into the Marriott family and it's not clear what is you get.  Also, others have mentioned that once there, the food onsite can get quite spendy and other options aren't easy.  And yet, if I were in your shoes, I'd go to Atlantis in a heartbeat.  I'm not a resort person, but with kids, its more chill. 

Alternatively, you can leave the kids at home! :-)

I had some apprehensions about taking my young children to Europe because of the very reasons you mentioned.  I've been researching a lot to see how some parents deal with taking their children in Europe.  What I've come to the conclusion is take one major site a day, set low expectations, and just enjoy being there.  Sure the kids will be tired and cranky and we might not be able to see everything we want but we're going to be in Rome, and that experience alone is great.  Anything else is just gravy.

Although...leaving them at home is also really tempting! And cheaper because I don't have to pay for the cash upgrade to a room that accommodates 4!

homoviator Platinum

see, I don't know all the ins and outs of the marriott program and need to explore cash upgrades more!

Have a great time in Rome. We'd like to return at some point, especially offseason.

jlowery35242 Platinum 1 Reviews

The Grand FLORA in Rome is an excellent property - close to many attractions and transportation options - yje roof-top breakfast is a "don't miss" and wonderful!!!

It is indeed an excellent property, in a wonderful location, in a great city!!!!  So many good restaurants nearby, next door to a Roman wall and the Borghese Gardens and Museum (book ahead), a short walk to the subway (such that it is) and just a great location for shopping and to set out across the city.  And, yes, there are few better ways to start your day than with breakfast on the roof of the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora!!!  Wish I were there now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...