37 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2016 8:24 AM by mustanggt RSS

Recommendations for Boston?

TAG-123 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I would like to get some recommendations for hotels in downtown Boston.  I would like to be close to the waterfront and Faneuil Hall area.  We like to walk so within a couple miles would be great.  I see Marriott has several to choose from but would like some advice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
  • Re: Recommendations for Boston?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

TAG-123,

If you can swing it the Boston, MA Waterfront Resort | Marriott's Custom House is great, loaded with history, very close to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.  You can take the water taxi from the airport to Long Wharf and walk across the street to the hotel.  We stayed there on two different trips to Boston and loved the place both times.

We've also stayed at the Boston Long Wharf Harborside Hotel | Boston Marriott Long Wharf about six years ago and although we did not like the hotel at the time as it was in great need of renovation I've read some good things on Insiders as well as noticed a very good rating on the hotel site. 

Most of the Marriott properties along the waterfront have good reviews so guess it just depends on your personal preference (paid vs points), rates, time of year etc.

Don't miss North End and the outstanding Italian joints plus some wonderful seafood all over town. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

TAG-123 Member

Thank you very much for the reply.  I will look into both of them. 

monisame Platinum

Custom House is really a great option. It is a vacation club I think. I will add to your list The Envoy Hotel, pretty new concept. I enjoyed my stayed there very much. It s different. Coopley is good for shopping, a bit old but with great service.. Hope you enjoy your visit !!!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

While reading the verified reviews of the Boston Long Wharf, I came across this explanation of why the Concierge Lounge is closed on the week-end (in a reply posted by hotel staff to a guest who was complaining about the C.L. hours.  "Long Wharf does have an exemption (along with a handful of other properties) from Marriott to close the Concierge Lounge on weekends from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon because the amount of Gold and Platinum Rewards Members utilizing the facility would be overwhelming and the experience would be a poor one for all".  I don't think I have ever heard this reason for not opening the lounge on the week-end.

rebeccakirahannah Platinum

I loved the Boston Renaissance on the waterfront. I was upgraded to an upper floor and the room had a big wide window ledge from which I could sit and watch the boats in the harbour.  The service was excellent.  It was a slightly longer walk to the market, etc but we did it without any trouble.  The surrounding area was quite lovely.  We were there over the American Thanksgiving which did mean the hotel was extra quiet but it seemed like the exemplary service was a routine standard for them as they certainly weren't missing a beat during our stay.

TAG-123 Member

Thank you for the reply.  How was the walk to the market, especially in Nov?   We are looking to go this Nov and  being from Florida I am thinking it might be too cold for us to walk.  But I can say the rates at that hotel are inviting!

rebeccakirahannah Platinum

Well, I am Canadian so for me the walk wasn't too cold In all honesty, I think if you are dressed for the North the walk is short enough that it will be okay.  November is still pretty mild, it will be brisk and you may have a little snow.   My personal opinion is that the hotel was worth the extra walking.  The only negative there was the valet parking was a little pricey but on par with others in the same area. We love Florida and visit as often as possible but I will say that the Floridians get a giggle out of my canadian kids in the pool on a 65 degree day and all of us wearing shorts in the winter.   Whatever you decide Boston is an amazing city, well worth the time, energy and money you will spend there.  The market is amazing, the freedom trail is great, there is a huge variety in entertainment, the science museum is top notch and the people are really and truly welcoming.

TAG-123 Member

Thank you for the information.  It is very much appreciated.  I will definitely consider the hotel because we will be flying in so parking for us does not matter (no car).   We love to walk so I will keep my fingers crossed that it is not too cold.  Although I have to say, I love the cold!!  My husband does not!!   Thanks again!!! 

TAG-123 since you're flying into BOS seriously look into the water taxi from the airport.

Water Taxi from Logan Airport

You catch a bus from the terminals that drops you off at the dock for the water taxi.  A short ride with the city right in front of you and you're in downtown.

Being from the south as well not a fan of cold either.  Boston is a walking city as mentioned above so just bring some layers of clothes, walking shoes and enjoy.

TAG-123 Member

Thank you!!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The Marriott Long Wharf is right on the water. Stayed there two months ago and it has been renovated. Unfortunately, the Concierge Lounge was very small but, fortunately, it has a great view of the harbor and planes landing and taking off from Logan Airport. The Custom House is an iconic location but also is now a Vacation Club property. Nevertheless, great restaurants around both of these properties and Faneuil Hall is a very short walk from both.

The Copley locations are close to the Boston Public Gardens and Boston Common always a good take. The Marriott Copley Place is a very nice property and attaches to a huge shopping area in Copley Place by a walking bridge that is enclosed so during cold weather you don't freeze in the cold Boston air during winter.

Boston is a great walking city so you can't miss wherever you stay in the city proper area!

Happy Travels!

TAG-123 Member

Thank you very much for the information.   The Copley does sound nice since we won't have to go outside since we are going in the winter.     Can you recommend any good Irish Pubs??

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Irish Pubs in an Irish City? Now, that's a tough one! There are so many that offer different twist on why they are good (some noted for food, some for frivolity, some for drinking). I think this list will give you a snapshot. The Black Rose s very close to Faneuil Hall on State St.

Best Irish pubs Boston has to offer for St. Patrick's Day and more

TAG-123 Member

Thank you!! The Black Rose looks awesome.   I am specifically looking for one to watch a Patriot game on Sunday!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If you can get a decent rate the Copley Marriott is an excellent hotel.  I had a great stay there in 2013.  The connecting mall offers much but don't let the weather keep you in doors. The city offers so much!

Be sure to get to the North End for excellent pizza, cannoli, and other Italian delicacies.

It's a great walking city and if the cold bothers you bring an extra layer (or 2). 

I logged on this morning with the intention of asking this question.  I will be reading the answers carefully.  We have attempted to plan a trip to Boston several times; however, due to ridiculous hotel rates (in my opinion), we have gone elsewhere.  Our only trip to Boston was about 15 years ago, so it is definitely time to return.  We were on a 6-week bicycling/camping trip on the East Coast.  We camped outside of Boston, near Quincy.  One of the highlights of that trip was going to the Boston Pop's Fourth of July concert.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Sadly, you are correct about the hotel rates.  But the trip is still worth it.  Best Italian and sea food that you can get.

Lots of history.  Great city, except for the prices.

mustanggt Platinum

I've stayed in both the Marriott Custom House Tower and the Marriott Long Wharf within the past the past few months.  Those two properties are the nicest hotels close to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Marketplace.  The Marriott Long Wharf has been updated and the Logan airport water taxi drops you off at the foot of the hotel.  The Custom House Tower is a Vacation Club with all suites and is very,very nice.  I also stayed at the Envoy this summer which is nice but a bit of a walk to Faneuil Hall Marketplace.  You must however try the rooftop lounge at the Envoy.  It is the place to see and be seen on the waterfront!  Further away on the waterfront is the Renaissance.  If you don't mind walking this is one of my favorites.  I have always gotten upgraded there, and the lobby restaurant is somewhere between 4 and 5 stars!  A cool idea for you while you are visiting Quincy Marketplace is to go to the Ice Bar.  It is at the end of the marketplace nearest the water.  Everything in there is made out of ice- tables, chairs, glasses, ice sculptures.  It is a one of a kind experience in Boston.  I took my entire family there and we plan to go back again this December when we are next together.  Boston is definitely a walkable city so have a great time.

TAG-123 Member

Thank you for your recommendation.  Also thank you for letting me know there is an IceBar there!!  I love them.  I have been to the one in Orlando FL and Las Vegas NV.   That will be a great time!  Thanks again.

insertcoffee Platinum

Boston is extremely small in this area (Financial District). The streets do not use a traditional grid system as it never had a good downtown fire,so the streets are based on the old cow paths etc. and meander every which way.  This also makes getting directions from passers by more complicated. Get a good map before you get there. It is extremely walkable.

I worked in downtown Boston in the Financial District for a year. The water taxi has a seasonal operation, and may not operate at the time of your trip. It will also likely be very bracing even if it operates in November. I would not recommend that outside of very warm periods. I always just take a cab, even in summer, primarily as a convenience.

The hotel prices spike during leaf peeper season, which is on now. They will go back down after the leaves have turned and the weather is less desirable. The same hotel room that is 299 in Feb is 499 or 599 in the Fall.  There are also limited rooms in this area, with few hotels, so a large event or seasonal attraction will have an immediate effect on rates. The larger Boston area, outside of the Financial District, toward Copley etc. has more rooms available, but they too spike during 'season'.

If you were not strictly considering Marriott, I also highly recommend the Langham Boston.  I have stayed there many times. It is spectacular. It is inside of an old bank, and is home also to a lovely spa and indoor pool (one of the few pools at a hotel property in the area), as well as a Sunday brunch that is one of the best in town. They are also home to several restaurants, and still have 'real' room service. Faneuil Hall is only a few (short, not NYC) blocks away, and that corner is also a taxi queuing location.

The Capitol Building is also very walkable and has tours available; however, many tours are during weekdays only so that is something to consider for timing purposes.

Pubs and restaurants are plentiful in this region, generally at least one on every corner. Be forewarned, however, that weekends feature an immense amount of drunken revelry due to the also-close colleges, as well as the general drinking environment that is Boston.  It is absolutely a drinking town. During the week, however, it is typically rather quiet in off-season, as it is primarily a business location, and gets buttoned up early. It is also a city of a lot of business travelers on expense account.

There are many very good high end restaurants, and of course,, seafood is outstanding. You will see every variation of lobster roll imaginable, some better than others, and if you are an oyster fan, this is a mecca. Happy hours often have shucked raw oysters for a buck each.

Some of the 7/11s sell beer and wine. There are several excellent wine stores in this area, one of which is Brix near the Hilton, which also carries hard liquor. The immense Walgreen's is 24-hours and is licensed for beer, wine, and hard liquor. 

If we had a better idea of how long you were wanting to stay and what you had in mind for the trip, we could better provide recommendations. I've shared some very practical information.

TAG-123 Member

Wow....thank you very much for all your information.   I am staying from Friday to Monday the beginning of Dec.   I would like to stay at Marriott to get points but it is definitely not set.  I just want to stay at a nice hotel within walking distance.  Any other recommendations you have would be great!  Thanks again.

insertcoffee Platinum

That's a quickie trip. I'd also look at the football schedule and see if that is the weekend of a home Patriots game. The stadium is not close, but the fans will be everywhere, and definitely the game will be on regardless of location.

If you were wanting to stay in the Financial District area, there is also an Oakwood property directly across the street from the Customs House on India at the corner of State. They have full kitchens also. You're not there long, so perhaps cooking won't be what you want to do, but you'll have a lot of space. Avoid the Bostonia restaurant on that corner. Life is too short to eat bad food.

In December, I would absolutely rule out the water taxi, and I don't think it even runs then from the airport.

There are only two grocery stores in that area. One is a Whole Foods (and while walkable to me, likely not so for others), and a new Roche Brothers in the Downtown Crossing, which in many ways is very similar in both offerings and cost to WF. It did not have a liquor license of any sort last year, but that may have changed. They will deliver, or you can cab or walk back.

You might wish to while away a Saturday at the Sam Adams brewery factory. They have tours and tastings. Not walkable, but many ways to get there. A lot depends on the weather, which is fickle. You could have a lovely sunny day of relative warmth, a rainy sleety misery, or snow and ice. What you will want to do will depend a lot on whether or not it is nice outside at the time you are there.

The water taxi DOES run in the winter, runs year round and they have a nice awning that goes around the boat with very good heat.  We took it from the airport in a light snow with limited visibility the week between Christmas and New Years in 2014.

curiousone Platinum

My wife and I always stay at the Custom House since we are MVCI owners. There is a T rail station (Aquarium, I believe) right out side the Custom House. We buy a 7 day T Rail pass and catch the T rail at the airport and get off in front of the Custom House after two stops. Unbeatable in my opinion. GREAT walking/eating/subway town. We are from Phoenix, AZ so It was pretty cool to us when we visited in late Oct the last time. Have some layers available.
    and enjoy the trip!

TAG-123 Member

Thank you!!

AZDesertRat Platinum

I agree and am a big fan of the Custom House, which is close to the North End and its fabulous restaurants (try the Neptune Oyster - avoid peak hours), the waterfront (don't miss the New England Aquarium), and Faneuil Hall/Quincey Marketplace.  It's across the street from the Black Rose pub.  The Custom House is an historical treasure - take the concierge's tour and enjoy free entertainment in the Counting Room most evenings.  

I have wanted to stay at the Custom House for many years.  On our upcoming trip, it is only available 2 nights and they are not consecutive.   I decided to go ahead and reserve the first night available and keep my fingers crossed that the next night will open up, too.

mustanggt Platinum

If you can't get the other nights you want at the Custom House, stay at the Marriott Long Wharf for the remainder of your visit...it is only two blocks away on the waterfront.

I was able to reserve 2 more nights, so we'll be staying at the Custom House for 3 nights. 

pfhaynes Platinum

Great comments by all , the Custom House and Long Wharf are both safe bets

Have stayed several times and the staff at both have been great

Enjoy

pfhaynes Platinum

Enjoy

pfhaynes Platinum

Enjoy

TAG-123 Member

Thanks for all the information.   I think we decided on the Marriott Copley Place.   Since we are from Florida, December will be cold and it will be convenient to have the shops attached.   I really wanted to be closer to Faneuil Hall but with it being cold we will be taking cabs anyways.  I really hope this is the right choice!

clajoie73 Gold

TAG-123.  You will not be disappointed.  The Marriott Copley is a beautiful hotel.  I have stayed there many times and they are always friendly and helpful.  Great inner city location to most of Boston's major attractions.  Enjoy the trip and make sure you wear layers in Boston.  Can get very cold when the sun goes down in December.

TAG-123 Member

Thank you for your response.   I have been worried because all the recommendations said to stay closer to Faneuil Hall but I really do feel this is the best choice for us.   I will comment when we get back to let everyone know how it went!!

insertcoffee Platinum

That's a great location too, and Boston is such a tiny town, really, if it is not wet or snowing, you could walk from Copley if you felt like it (I have done it myself). If you 're planning on big shopping, that is really a great place to stay with high end stores and not far for you to go to take your treasures 'home' so you're not going to a pub with a Neimans bag, looking like a right proper couple to mug.

That area is also decorated for Christmas and should be really lovely. December weather can go up or down-- might actually be warmer than you expect for a pleasant surprise.

mustanggt Platinum

If you are building your trip around shopping, then you've picked the right hotel.  In addition to the two attached indoor malls, you have a number of nice stores along Boylston Street to check out (one block from hotel).  The ultimate shopping experience is a stroll down Newbury Street (two blocks from the hotel) for all the boutiques.  Enjoy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...