11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2016 4:51 PM by insertcoffee RSS

Poor Customer Service

ajh2015 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I just lost over 46,000 points. Apparently at the beginning of the year, Marriott has instate a policy that if you have not used or redeemed points in 24 months, they expire. I was trying to book at stay, and noticed that my pointed expired 2 months ago. I called customer service to see if there was anything that could be done, and the woman was RUDE. I let her know that the reason I stay with Marriott is because of the rewards program, and I would not be staying with them any longer. She said that was fine. What kind of customer service is that?! She never even asked for my name or rewards number. Just said they sent letters out. I am fuming. Has anyone had any luck getting their points back? Is there anything that can be done? They expired on 7-27-16 and I just stayed with them 9-25-16. Seems pretty crappy if you ask me. I will start looking for IHG hotels, where my points and business is welcome I suppose...

• Re: Poor Customer Service
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

ajh2015,

Sorry to read of your lost points and the poor attitude that you received from CS.  Wish you had gotten the persons name to report it to a Supervisor as I'm sure that isn't the way Marriott wants any employee to treat a guest.

As for the loss of the points, don't want to rub salt in an open wound but there was numerous things posted both on the Marriott home page as well as here on Insiders regarding the change regarding points that occurred in February 2016.

Read Marriott Rewards Points Expiration Guidelines

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nationwide Platinum

ajh2015, I hate to hear about your experience and the loss of points.  IAHFLYR is correct that Marriott tried hard to communicate the change broadly before it went into effect in February 2016.  I certainly understand your frustration, and if it pushes you to try other chains, I can see why.  That said, it's important to note that all programs have expiration timelines associated with them.  IHG's program points expire with no activity in 12 months - half the time Marriott gives you to keep your points from expiring with qualifying activity (earning or redeeming - even with a Marriott credit card).  That's just something to keep in mind if you make the decision to change.  Hope this helps, if only to avoid the same issue down the line.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Could you give a more detailed explanation of "RUDE"? Sometimes I've found that after I felt someone was rude to me it turned out that he was saying something I didn't want to hear and I couldn't change his mind so I felt that was rude. Then, again, sometimes the person actually was rude.

One correction in your understanding of the policy. It's not just use or redeem, it's also earn. If you stay at Marriott either as a paying customer or using points that's good enough to keep you points active. So it means that you haven't done any business whatsoever with Marriott for 2 years. It's not surprising that they would void your point. Airlines do the same. Other hotel chains do the same.

It's tough to make the argument to Marriott that "the reason I stay with Marriott is the points program" when you don't actually stay at Marriott for a couple of years.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

FYI: This is not a new rule. Marriott was pretty open that they rarely enforced. However, they announced last year that they would start enforcing. Every time I login in and look at my account, there is a notice of the change: (not the link, but you can click when logged in. It was actually early 2015 they announced enforcement of the policy-link to announcement below. I agree with the other posters. There are many ways to stay active-earning or using.

Link to announcement:

Marriott Rewards® points will now expire - FlyerTalk Forums

Flag on MR Account info page:

Keeping Your Account Active - Marriott Rewards Points Expiration

ajh2015 Silver

I wish I had gotten her name as well, but did not. She certainly was rude, did not use any niceties or pleasantries, did not collect my info to even take a look at my account. That being said, Marriott was kind enough to refund my points today after posting on their Facebook page. Thank you for your advice and information on the policy. I generally travel quite a bit for work, but was transferred a year ago and there are not Marriotts available. At any rate, my issue has been resolved.

chobbits Platinum

You complained on facebook and got the points back ? Wow. Just shows the power of social media. Best of luck to you - although it is well known that points expire after 2 years

erc Platinum

This situation and outcome fascinates me, highlighting the value of forums like Insiders and Flyertalk, and is exactly what I mean when I write about the 'day to day' arbitrage of today's travel. (I'm just hoping Insiders doesn't become the first step in solving everyone's issues - hopefully it remains like it is today, the most eyeballs - Twitter/Facebook get the results and Insiders continues to share info, not day to day problems or we'll have another hotel review contest debacle, where you can't see the forest for the trees).

There really couldn't be a clearer policy than what Marriott laid out (as opposed to the recent MegaBonus registration); yet given the proper leverage and the correct approach, Marriott (to their credit) will work with the customer. Yes, we could make a point that this leads to other headaches (I'm not trying to be Prof Birdbrain claiming that exceptions should become the rule), but to me, this is the reality of today's travel - how bad do you want it, so we might as well play along accordingly, as well as we can.

I no longer want the Marriott of the eighties where SOPs locked in the exact procedure for every situation. Today's benefits accrue to the well informed traveler (and yes, an egalitarian case could be made that it shouldn't be that way, but face it, it is), so forum's like Insiders prove invaluable in enhancing our travel and since most all players in these forums have invested significant time learning the ins and outs, I say, "Bring it on Marriott, let's dance" (this is written with the humility of having my fanny kicked trying to learn about SPG).

So strengthen your schmoozing skills and enhance your social media techniques because as has been shown time and time again, that's where the payoff is. I'm so busy trying to learn how to use 'Chat a gram', I don't have time to write in defending world leader Marriott even when they're dead right (which is often and as many of you know, I love me some Marriott, but they can take care of themselves, I'm focusing on getting that corner room overlooking the river). 

Since this thread is essentially over, next week's topic - why are Westin's so doggone expensive compared to Marriotts? I've researched over 20 comparisons and they can sometimes run over $100 more per night (eg. St. Louis next September - Fri/Sat Marriott AAA $143/ Westin $266).  Hopefully Marriott keeps the variance the same, since Starwood folks, or perhaps their employers, don't mind paying the difference, but I get nervous that some quant at Marriott will propose moving Marriott to Starwood rates (while offering us the enhancement of bigger bars of soap) - ouch.
      Keep on keepin' on Insiders, there's deals to be made.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great news that your points have been restored.

insertcoffee Platinum

Like nearly every single loyalty program in existence, Marriott points expire with no activity within a prescribed time frame.

Marriott published widely that they were going to start enforcing this last year, over and over again, and that it was going into effect this Marriott Rewards year, in February 2016.  Apparently you had no activity whatsoever, and didn't even log into your account with any regularity, or read the e-mails and other notices that were from Marriott proper.

The rudeness you say you experience, however, is another matter.  If you got the  name of the individual, depending on the actual circumstances, you might consider reporting it.

Corporations carry the points/miles/whatever as a liability on the books.  With millions of Rewards members possibly having orphan points or not being regular customers, it is much better on the accounting side of the house to be able to zero them out when the customer shows no activity in two years.

Enjoy whatever other brand you change to, should you elect to change. Recommend you create a spreadsheet or some sort of a minder to help keep track of your points expiry if you are an infrequent guest of a certain brand or not a regular traveler.

nationwide Platinum

insertcoffee - good points!  Welcome back!  We've missed seeing your posts lately.  Glad to see you back!

insertcoffee Platinum

Thanks, nationwide.  Proposal season claims many victims.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...