74 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2016 2:12 AM by insertcoffee RSS

MegaBonus

tvhcols Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I received an email this morning with a MegaBonus promotion.  Did anyone else get the email and been able to sign up?

When I click on Register Now I get an error message.  I called the Rewards number and was told they would send the problem to their IT department and it may take a few days to fix.  I have a stay this Friday but he said they will track it manually if they can't fix the problem.

Message I get when I click on Register Now

"A Note About This Promotion

We’re sorry, but there was an error in directing you to this promotion.

The reason for this error could be:

You’re trying to access a miles promotion and are a points-earner, or vice versa

You are not eligible for this promotion

This promotion has expired

Updating your earning preference is fast and easy; simply sign into your account. For all other issues, please contact Marriott Rewards Customer Support."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: You Got Your MegaBonus, But There's More
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Interesting. This ought to raise a few eyebrows?

So if I read correctly, this new add on would allow you to earn 5000 additional points for making one more stay (assuming you could get past the error message and get signed up).

Okay gang. Care to weigh in? Looks like those of us who chose to earn the 10k points for 10 nights just got another dose of "buyer's remorse." Seems like 3 one-night stays could earn as many points as 10 nights.  We made a choice given the assumption that the maximum from the "make 2 stays option" was 5k. That no longer seems to be the case. Not cool.

Thoughts, IAHFLYR. nationwide, brightlybob, vaboywnder, erc, pluto77, peymanagement, painedplatinum, ssindc, fistuk, superchief1, muppetwrangler, razorbackfan, ks77, clebert, SeaTexan, jerryl, tef6178, nmballoonist, bpelican, psudad, phctourist, mustanggt, AZDesertRat? (please tag other regulars I missed).

This MegaBonus keeps looking more and more deceptive.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I'm finding that the more I read of this the more angry it makes me.  Think I would be better off just taking the high road and say nothing rather than "let my fingers to the walking" all across the keyboard right about now.

natural_log Platinum

Why are you getting angry because something good happened to somebody else?  If this offer wasn't extended, you would be in the same place you are now.  Because somebody else had good fortune, that gets you upset?

There are many targeted offers that a lot of us are not eligible for.  This can be treated like a targeted offer.  Some folks were targeted and others weren't.  Nobody was penalized or had their original offer rescinded.

natural_log,

Give us all the information regarding a promotion so ALL know what we are playing for, that's why it angers folks. 

seatexan Platinum

Yeah, I would have picked the 5k points for 2 stays had I known I could have unlocked something more.  Kind of like with the previous bonus.  I might not have known what I was going to unlock but hey! it would be something more than 5k points .

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

agree with you . If would have gone the other way if this was part of the initial offer

seatexan Platinum

It's like you read my mind bejacob!!!

What is going on here Marriott!!?!???

I chose the 10 points too.... and will barely make it. 3 one night stays would have been a lot easier.  And I would not be stretched to do it either as I have 5 more nights to go.  2 stays are already down, I have 5 nights in my promo.  I have one up coming stay for 2 nights but that won't get me to the target.  It would have, had I chosen the 5,000 point option... then 3 stays would have been completed.

Wonder what will come out once I finish the 10 nights... I'll have them by the end of Dec, with no time left for additional nights/stays. :/

I just reached 10 nights, so I'll let you know if anything new shows up. I kind of doubt it. After all to "achieve" the MegaBonus I chose, I need to reach 50 nights. I'm looking at 17 now, so 20 might be possible, but that's all.

The big problem is that it's hard to make an educated choice without all the information up front. "Doubling" the 5k option changes things completely.

Now if Marriott would agree to double my MegaBonus earnings. I'd be okay with that. 20k for 10 nights, 40k for 20 nights. Now we're talking. I'd book those 3 extra nights to put me to 20 nights today.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Sounds like a well thought-out and good plan to me, bejacob.  I'll probably make 10 nights, but not many more than that.  Signed up for the 10K points for the same reason you did, the 5K points cap on the other plan.  Foul!

I will have to stay somewhere one night to get to 10

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I've chosen the 2-stay 5,000 MegaBonus offer as I didn't think I could reach 10 nights in this time period.  So this is welcome news to me that there is a potential opportunity to earn an additional 5,000 points.  However I can understand with anyone being upset with choosing the other promo as it would take 10 nights to earn 10k points.  To be fair I would hope Marriott would offer a follow up bonus to those who achieve the 10 night promo.

peymanagement Platinum

bejacob, Is it possible to separate the thread from the one tvhcols, raises? I don't know if it is.  His question should be answered, but may get lost in the disappointment of those of us who signed up for the 10 to 50 nights.

My own thinking is that this would not have been such a big deal if it were not for all of the other issues with the mega bonus,

This second bonus to option 1 is clearly targeted at infrequent users who the company want to attract and that is fine. The problem was option 2 was harder to sign up for, had the effective date issue and had lower returns than previous years, Among other things.

erc Platinum

bejacob - you set off my erc-o-meter with your tagging (how many points was that reply worth?)

My thoughts: after signing up for the 10 nights, 10k points (luckily, not only on time, but actually able to register, w/sympathy to painedplatinum, pluto77 et al.);  I am the stickee, not the sticker - Marriott smacks me good.

Sammy Griner was 11-months-old when his mother Laney posted a picture ...sucker

Those others who had 10 nights (as a stretch) and want some schadenfreude; remember, we still have that top notch Marriott IT team on our side; in reading through other posts on the MegaBonus tvhcols, it appears many others who got the e-mail have been unable to register also (big sale on phones - Samsung 7s).

mustanggt you had it right yesterday, perhaps the IT team instead tracking down Pikachu and Delta brand badges should focus on properly running the Rewards program where REAL currency is involved. Oh well, what are we going to do.

ps - carat and the moderator team should get hazard pay if they are forced to respond, what can she say, but, "we'll look into it" (like Tommy Cruise in A Few Good Men, we probably can't handle the truth)

In his own words, just yesterday, these types of point shenanigans work brightlybob into a lather

... Conair Hot Lather Machine with Joe Namath (Football) at Ads By Dee

(free beer at next Tipple bob if you can name him - hint, it would be like me knowing George Best)

IAHFLYR - we're all proud of you and your mellow fingers; here's one for ya, "Smizek", slowly I turn...

and finally, the original Stick it to the Man meme discoverer, vaboywnder, vaboy, you've been on a hot streak of late with all of your good fortunes, well Teresa Sullivan wrote me this summer saying if you shut down the entire UVa computer system once more just to land a Marriott Daily Deal Gift Card, she's suspending your vacation and there'll be no more Comic Cons for you, you wascally wabbit, you!

Oh well, what are we gonna do? It's a great day to be alive. Keep on keepin' on Insiders

(this oughtta reduce my future tags )

dream606 Gold

looks like Joe Namath

erc Platinum

Shame on you dream606, I hope you don't work for the NSA! Unless you grew up in Marriott's Protea market,  to paraphrase the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld, "No beer for you"!

Ok, back to tvhcols question - Who, after earning the two stay MegaBonus got the E-mail saying they could earn an additional bonus, but haven't been able to register?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

There's the erc that we all miss and love!  So good to have you back on Insiders!  I'll tell Teresa you said hello.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

IM afraid there's no way I can guess who that is, erc, because I know it's Joe Namath singing the praises for the Conair Hot Lather Shaving thingy from the 1980's. Whilst it promised to be the future of shaving, we now know over a quarter of a century later... it wasn't...

(and Yes, I cheated, I took dream606 answer and put it into Google, much the same as the Mighty Mo...)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

bejacob I chose the 10 nights for 10,000 points as well.  5k for 2 stays, which can be as little as 2 one night stays....and now there's a 5k bonus for an additional stay???  Three one night stays gets the same 10k that I have to stay 10 nights for??? 

What goes on in the minds of the promotions team at Marriott is beyond my comprehension.  Members who stay less get the same reward as member who stay more. 

A big BOO to Marriott for this. 

nmballoonist Platinum

Well, I signed up for the two stays since I don't have ten nights of travel planned.  So I am happy about the "add on".  However if I had signed on for the ten nights/10,000 points and was stretching to get the 10 nights, I would be a bit (a lot) POed.  Changing terms after the first offer doesn't seem to be the way to keep you Rewards members happy.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I didn't get the bonus promo offer.  I chose the 2-night 5000 point bonus, and I'll get night 2 taken care of on Oct. 20, so maybe it shows up after that?  I almost picked the other bonus as I have 9 nights planned, but 3 of those are on MVCI points to wouldn't count...  I'll let everyone know if I get the extra bonus offer after stay #2. 

lobbster Platinum

Wow, for those of us that chose the 10,000 points bonus up front this is incredibly unfair! Unless there's a follow up bonus coming our way to..?!

seatexan Platinum

bejacob has finished his 10 nights, so he will let us know.  For me, it won't matter seeing as my 10 nights will be done in Dec. and will be too late to add more. 

My 10 will also be done in December and with no more stays planned around the holidays. Thanks Marriott for the wonderful ever changing T/C on this promo, it stinks to be treated this way.

monisame Platinum

It seems to be a targeted promotion only for the ones who choose to earn 5000 bonus points. I am in the other, like you. I agree it is no fear.

seatexan Platinum

Don't worry tvhcols no one is ranting at you.  Glad you posted this to let us know whats up!  I hope you can register soon!

droma Platinum

It almost feels like Marriott is trying an experiment lately to see how many tweaks they can do without enraging the most loyal customers to completely leave.

Hope all these changes and after the fact additions/subtractions aren't a sign of what's to come in 2018.

mustanggt Platinum

This is absolutely a slap in the face to Marriott's best and most loyal customers!  If Marriott wants to enhance a promotion they should enhance both options so as not to enrage an entire group of customers.  I now feel totally deceived and am left feeling angry.  Perhaps one of our moderators carat can chime in on this one: (1) how is this fair to those of us who chose the 10/50 night option, (2) will the 10/50 night promotion be enhanced.  Come on Marriott, you can treat your BEST customers better than this!

phi506 Platinum

I knew I would stay close to 40 nights during the promotion period but I still chose the 5k point option because I thought 1000 points per night was a slap in the face.  My logic was I'll stay 2 nights and then go to Hilton which I have been doing and depending on the rate I choose I am earning up to 4x points.  Now I only have to stay one more night and I get an additional 5k points.  Meanwhile if someone chose the 10k option and stays 19 nights they still only get 10k points!  That is the real travesty in all of this.....

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Weak Megabonus promotion, sign up issues, sly changes (adding unfavorable restrictions) to the terms, thus causing people to miss having nights counted, and now this (including yet more sign up issues?). Marriott Rewards marketing people, if you're paying attention, none of this has influenced any number of us in a direction that you are hoping for, that is to stay more nights or spend more revenue with Marriott.  It has not moved me at all. (It's certainly irritated me, but ya, so what.)  Consider how much money is being spent on all of this misguided, unfruitful marketing (unless I'm missing something and there is marketing sector out there that this is actually having a positive influence on...? )

Every time I think of Thom's words that loyalty programs are absolutely a dated concept, well, still scratching my head.

Well, when loyalty programs become both watered down and too complicated to figure out (airlines), perhaps so.  Waiting for the ball to drop in 2018.

dream606 Gold

Just to answer the question, I received the same promo but was not able to sign up.  I would have thought with the prior issues with signing up, that this would not have happened.

tvhcols Platinum

I just tried the link again and was able to sign up this time.

So sorry for those who signed up for the 10 nights and am hoping you all get some kind of a chance for a bonus too. 

tvhcols we appreciate that you brought this up.

I'm glad you were finally able to get signed up. I'm still not sure what the Marriott Rewards marketing folks are thinking. They know we share the details of all the promotions on this site. What's amazing is that how poorly this particular MegaBonus has been handled. It seems like every week there is a new revelation - difficulty getting signed up, stays don't count before being registered (despite the difficulty of registering), now the change in terms for the folks who chose stays over nights. What's next?

I've completed my first 10 nights. Points are already credited. I'll wait to see what happens. Probably nothing until I get to 20 nights. With the unexpected turns so far, it's hard to guess.

ashshare Platinum

I chose 10 nights. Was I greedy? LOL. Only 5 nights so far. But could have doubled already. Wish they could give an option to choose now

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi Insiders, what you see above is a targeted offer the Rewards teams are emailing to some of the members who achieved the maximum in the offer they chose. We are reading your comments and are working with the appropriate team to make sure your opinions are heard.

erc Platinum

B.E. this is all your fault, you set off the erc-o-meter.

Well sports fans, it's once again time to dust off some Oldies but Goodies (everything old is new again)

Here you go boss, some more Insiders input

diapers will take about 500 years to decompose in a landfill ...

The Appropriate (demoted from Greater) Team reacts;

... men and three women, sitting at office desks, laughing hysterically

Wait'll the 10 nighters find out about this!

And in honor of the merger, a new one,

Rewards team targeting offers

Monkey throwing darts

vaboy yes, pluto no

Thank you lindseyh (missed you) for following up and taking one for the team (it could be worse, you could be a political surrogate
      )

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

GGreat to see these photos back again, erc... try as I might I was a poor substitute for the original...

thanks Lindsey

Platinum 4 Reviews

To calm down the mob rule, could you restate or confirm if the additional targeted promo is for some of the people who picked the 2 stays or for all of the 2 stay people? May go a long way to calm mass hysteria. Also, any and all news about additional points for the 50 stay people would be appreciated.

natural_log Platinum

Why does it matter?  It's a targeted promotion.  Not everyone is eligible for targeted promotions and this is simply another one that some folks can take advantage of and some of us can't.

droma Platinum

I agree with wesleywc, it does have some importance.  If it is only for some of the people that picked two stays, I can live with that.  It is probably to encourage people who don't stay often to pick up some extra nights and get more into the Marriott game.

If it is for EVERYONE that picked  two stays and hit their two stays, that means I (and many others) made the wrong choice on which promotion to pick because we didn't have all of the available information.  Not cool.

Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm with you. It doesn't matter to me. It does seem to matter a lot to some of the regulars on MRI. They are feeling slighted even though they may not have all the information to make such assumptions. That's why they are the mob rule and we love em for it.   I agree with you, you assumed otherwise. I made my 50 nights choice. I'll live with whatever comes or doesn't with it.

erc Platinum

wesleywc is a big boy and can certainly answer for himself, but just in case he's taking Mr. B out for his post dinner walk;

A targeted offer targeted to all of the two nighters comes off a bit like a sucker punch, if you were a 7-8 nighter who 'stretched' to try to make the mega-bonus, especially if you struggled several times after receiving e-mails to register and were unable to register due to an IT problem, then only to find out the mega-bonus offer only starts after you register.

If it is a targeted offer among the two nighters, then I agree with you - that's the luck of the draw and sometimes we get them and sometimes we don't and cheer on those who get them.

Not that anyone cares, but I myself have learned to roll with the Marriott surprises and am always happy as a lark, just glad to be travelling. However, I do like to smack Marriott when as the worldwide leader, they attempt several things at once at the expense of effectiveness (not only could the targeted folks not register right away, but many of the 157 replies to
          Re: Insiders, First Time Ever! Pick Your MegaBonus® – up to 50,000 Points couldn't register for days (some as you'll see, still haven't been able to) even after Marriott's big push of 4-6 digital contacts with the customer.

But it's all good, this too will pass and we'll still be Marriott loyalists, letting off steam is almost as good as a $10 voucher (not to be used for in room water) for a $15 cocktail.

OOPS - was typing while others were responding, so as Emily Litella always said, "nevermind"

Please note the comments to follow are not an indictment of the Insiders moderation team. I have the utmost respect for all you do here. These words are directed at the folks involved in creating the current MegaBonus which has turned into something of a fiasco.

To reiterate what others have said. Whether it was a targeted offer on not is completely irrelevant. Here's what matters.

We have a choice. Choose 5k points after 2 stays with a maximum of 5k points or 10k points for every 10 nights up to 50k points. Members think about planned stays and decide that whether they can make 10 nights over the 4 month promo period. If so, it makes sense to opt for the higher bonus. Good so far. Now a few weeks later another offer comes along to double the 5k points to 10k for SOME of the folks who chose the first offer with just one additional stay (potentially as few as 3 nights). If that had been shared at the beginning that there MIGHT be an opportunity to double your bonus if you chose the first option, it's likely some additional folks would have chosen that option. Instead this detail is revealed AFTER the fact.

The problem is that everyone made a decision WITHOUT all the information. I'm not disappointed with the choice I made. I have already gotten my 10k points and might make it to 20 night for 10k more (sitting on 17 by the first weekend in Nov at the moment so 3 more nights by 1/15/17 is doable).

Now, suppose someone looks at this higher bonus and thinks, "50 nights is too hard, so I won't try" only to find out that if you get to 50 nights you'll be given a chance to double your 50k points to 100k points if you stay 10 more nights (not sure how many folks would fall into the 60 nights over 4 months category, but I'm sure there are some). Because such info was withheld, that guest decided to spend some nights at IHG, SPG, or Hilton to earn whatever bonus is going on there. Without the full knowledge of what could be at stake being presented at the beginning, making a rational decision becomes far more difficult. Pardon the misterchk-like shouting, but THAT'S WHY THIS IS A PROBLEM. That it was targeted to some members is not the issue. We understand that part. It happens frequently (I was the beneficiary a couple years back August Points (Promotion!)). I probably would have still chosen the 10k for 10 nights knowing that I might not have been selected to double might 5k points. I might have had to think about a bit more, but 10 nights was always in reach for me (it might be more of a stretch for others). I'll continue to log the nights I have planned and may add more before this promo is done.

Please pass along to the folks in marketing who dream up this stuff. If you're going give us a choice about how we earn points on a MegaBonus, please give us ALL the relevant information at the beginning, so we can make an educated decision. Sliding in changes to how the bonus works (like not counting stays before registration) without highlighting how this is different from previous promotions or changing the earning potential once a decision has been made (one that could have led some to make a different choice) is not a good way to do business. Marriott Insiders are some of the most loyal customers out there. Angering that group is a really bad idea. We can be your best marketing tool. Please don't make us your worst PR nightmare.

mustanggt Platinum

Well stated bejacob.

natural_log Platinum

I certainly agree that knowing the future would make decisions in the present easier and more optimal.  If I could know all the targeted promotions that are coming in the next couple of years, I could manipulate my lodging and spending options accordingly.  I doubt, however, Marriott (or any similar organization) is going to reveal that type of  information.

Platinum 4 Reviews

Actually most hotel reward programs do reveal their entire promos upfront upon signing up for them. Most of the hotel rewards programs promos are clear and concise about potential earnings via promos. LQ and IHG are somewhat exceptions, whereas LQ gives surprise promos to its best customers (Elites)  and IHG gives a annual 25,000 points for meeting Spire Elite (however it's a known entity) plus a 1000 points on your birthday (Surprise).

Edit: However you're right, no hotel rewards program reveals its promos for years to come.

nmballoonist Platinum

Applause!

travelingcharles Platinum

I am a lifetime Platinum member and just received the fall 2016 mega-bogus email today. What a joke!!!! why should I enroll in a bonus program that I would only benefit from staying 50 nights out of the next ~70 nights of business travel. They want loyalty but they no longer reward it. Looks like my next goal is towards Hilton diamond lifetime (3 years and done). I will no longer spend any of my 150+ nights a year at Marriott.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

But my question is, why are you just receiving the Megabonus offer - today??? The promotion has been in effect since Sept. 15, which means that any stays that you've made since Sept. 15 until the day you signed up are - ineligible.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I got another e-mail about it again today even though I've been signed up since the first announcement. It's like they just blindly send out e-mails without targeting them at all or worrying that it might be confusing for people that are already signed up.

erc Platinum

I take a bit of a different overall perspective toward Marriott than many in this post and quite frankly, forum. I'm playing in a game that Marriott can theoretically wipe out at any time (and IMO would if they could w/o any business impact); therefore the setting of rules, rates, changes etc is completely in their hands and I just suck it up and play to my level of interest (and hopefully, advantage). Even as a long time loyalist with tremendous memories and experiences, I continue to view Marriott as a vendor, not a family member, and thus always hold them at arms length, like I would most any non-family business relationship.

Where I do grow irritated is when programs are so ineffectively executed it negatively impacts the relationship. This current MegaBonus offering with its poorly crafted registration capability and its too clever by half rules revision, falls into that category in my opinion.

Perhaps it's my DC residence, the center of spin and disingenuous characters, that leads me to agree with fellow resident wesleywc in believing that all our barking in the world on Insiders will not have the impact of a multi-property development deal Arne signs with a developer in Asia. Having said that, I don't in any way begrudge anyone's statement of anger, disappointment, irritation or whatever feelings they might have - a worthwhile use of the forum. I would only suggest that to think we're going to actually influence material strategic changes by Marriott might only increase the poster's disappointment and might leave them vulnerable toward missing the next opportunity to optimize your travel with Marriott (as I posted earlier, as companies grow larger they seem to inform less, so we better keep each other up to date).

I'm convinced Marriott (as many businesses do) reacts to where the most impact is offered and thus sadly, Insiders with its participation decimated through the years with thread clogging  big data lists building contests (baseball stories, reviews, etc) no longer carries the clout that it could have or that Facebook or individual Twitter or other social media platforms currently do (for the individual). So I personally view Insiders as an information arrow in my quiver of travel weapons, not as an agent of change (in spite of Big Thom's insistence that we really matter - of course, what else could he say?).

If I was one of the many unfortunate players who lost nights due to the registration snafu, I'd be privately DMing one of the thoughtful Insider moderators or calling Rewards agents until I found one (perhaps the one that hands out 5 Day Travel Packages) that would manually credit the nights, rather than expecting a corporate worldwide program change (not that it couldn't happen - but I wouldn't hold my breath). 

Good luck to all who got banged around in this current bonus. We should probably prepare for more in the future assimilation of cultures and policies.

erc Platinum

Hey Marriott loyalists, remember that time I wrote that I only grow irritated when Marriott runs a program so ineffectively that it harms our relationship - that was awesome   deadend Chris Farley - Remember that Time it snowed? That was awesome!

Well, here's a possible example; I say possible, because who knows the authenticity, but I must say this is the third time I've heard something similar; read this from FlyerTalk and see what you think

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27332468-post63.html

for those who don't want to click - here it is (bold included by yours truly)

OU812  

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat

A Tale of Three Elites

Two co-workers and I were attending a conference at the JW Marriott Grand Lakes, Orlando, Florida last week. I am a Marriott Lifetime Platinum and SPG Plat. One co-worker is a SPG Plat, but no status with Marriott until he linked is account and is now Marriott Platinum. The other co-worker is a SPG Gold, Marriott Silver and became Marriott Gold when he linked his accounts. 

We all arrived at the hotel at the same time and were each checked in by a separate FDC. I had checked my reservation the day before and noted no advance upgrade, just a Deluxe King and that is the room type I received a room on the 11th of 26 floors facing the drive way. I inquired about an upgrade and the FDC disappeared into the back for five minutes before returning and telling me all upgraded rooms were already allocated. The one co-worker who is now a Marriott Platinum received an upgrade to a two room Executive Suite on the 23rd floor. The co-worker who is now Marriott Gold received an upgrade to a large corner room with Lake/Pool view on the 21st floor. They were both surprised that they received these upgrades and I received nada. 

Of course when I asked at the front desk later about my lack of upgrade, I was told that a directive from Marriott Corp instructs each hotel to upgrade newly minted SPG elites over long time MR Elites. (Apparently, there is some notation in the system.) She did offer me 500 MR points as an apology. BFD. 

Regards,

RIP...

OUCH, Marriott, are you really doing this to us?    20 Sad Puppy Pictures With Funny Captions - EchoMon

seatexan Platinum

- I think I am more shocked that the front desk actually told the person the reason behind him not getting an upgrade.  I am not surprised this is happening though. It makes me sad tho, sad like that cute sad eyed pup.

erc Platinum

I agree. I believe overall Marriott loyalists will benefit from the merger, but it appears more and more as a residual effect of Marriott's attempt to maintain the SPG business (which, as long as it's a net gain for us, so be it). We're just going to have to go into it with our eyes open.

Here's a 30 minute interview with Arne and Skift for the six folks possibly interested. Skift is a global travel marketing intelligence firm and pretty good at breaking news) for the six folks interested;

https://skift.com/2016/10/13/video-marriott-ceo-on-the-virtues-of-scale-and-loving-all-30-brands/

Marriott is attracted to the "rabid" SPG loyalty toward luxury brands.

It also points out the tremendous future impact of China (currently 250 M/S hotels with 300-500 in pipeline and a target of thousands) and India.

An interesting note from Arne (which kind of supports what I say above); "We rolled out late checkout to Marriott elites as a message to SPG members" - hey, I'll take benefits however they come

Arne, as I praised him for years ago, keeps his eyes on airbnb.  Exciting times for travelers, but we must stay informed or we'll miss out on potential goodies.

nationwide Platinum

erc - I understand the desire to bring the newly minted Marriott Platinums/Golds from the SPG program into the tent from a business perspective.  That said, your example above paints an ugly picture of the lengths to which Marriott will go to preserve, protect and grow their investment in the SPG elite.  A willingness to pursue that through the sacrifice of the client experience of long-loyal Marriott Platinum & Gold members seems a bit like chasing fools gold to me.  The old bird in the hand axiom seems to apply here. 

Is Marriott so certain that the long-term Marriott Elite will just accept a move to the back of the upgrade line, while their newly-minted prodigal son brethren take the spoils, without facing erosion in the base they've worked so hard for so many years to earn?  How much churn in the existing base are they willing to accept before this becomes a losing proposition?  I get that new markets and the promise of future growth are alluring and expected pursuits of a large global company.  However, if you do this at the direct expense of your long-term loyal customers, at some point, you are simply replacing one customer with another.  That churn is EXPENSIVE.  I know there is a certain level of accepted risk here, and a willingness to accept some losses.  However, the new Platinum now has a false impression of how good Marriott is, only to be soon disappointed when the upgrades dry up, and the old Platinum just gets fed up with being taken for granted/abused. 

I am certain that it was never intended for this directive to get out, but it was bound to happen just as soon as someone encountered circumstances like the one you shared.  I hope that Marriott in its infinite wisdom is preparing something to assuage ill-feeling and sweeten the pot of the existing loyal customer.  If not, they could awaken one day to the unfortunate truth that a newly acquired customer is simply not as valuable as the retention of an existing customer.  You have to do both, and if you can't afford both, you are always better off organically growing what you have.  A few more publicly shared preferential missteps like this, and the customer erosion will begin. 

peymanagement Platinum

The one thing that I have learned, is these web sites like web flyer are good on treating a lot hearsay as fact. It all sounds like a lot of nonsense to me. The guy was probably third in line and the other two guys  (who were legitimate golds) got upgraded and he got the street view, However, really.....when has anyone got a fancy apartment that is alleged, when the place is full. "Cranberrys" to quote Pluto who does not use presidential hopeful words.

erc Platinum

nationwide - well written and I agree with what you state, however we may be watching Marriott alter the marketing paradigm that keeping a customer is more profitable than gaining a customer. As my marketing brother from another mother superchief1  (a fellow Thaler behavioral economics student) will tell you, switching costs**** will keep a lot of us loyalists in line in spite of "being taken for granted".

Sadly for us the consumer, revenue and financial engineering covers a lot of operating mistakes. Marriott has such tremendous growth opportunity in Asia that IMO, even a significant departure by loyalists won't be large enough to counter the offset (and therefore not be a large enough pain to merit direct action) and that's not even discussing the over $2 billion in real estate that Marriott will be able to divest (who, as one of the masters of off balance sheet financing, will report material accounting profits as a result) or the millions of savings from reduction of redundant overhead.

Perhaps, like the boy who grew up in a closet,  many of us don't know otherwise. As I read the Starwood forum, boy, they can be a tough group to please. Arne stated that he was attracted to their 'rabid' loyalty toward luxury - let's see how he feels a year from now. If his team exerts effort, perhaps we'll gain residual benefits through the process.

****What are 'Switching Costs'

Switching costs are the costs that a consumer incurs as a result of changing brands, suppliers or products. Although most prevalent switching costs are monetary in nature, there are also psychological, effort- and time-based switching costs. A switching cost can manifest itself in the form of significant time and effort necessary to change suppliers, the risk of disrupting normal operations of a business during a transition period, high cancellation fees, and a failure to obtain similar replacement of products or services.

seatexan Platinum

erc, has pretty much covered what I was going to reply with...but way better

nationwide I am not a long term elite, but I can say I am too deep in to bail out. I have invested a lot of time and money and switching to another brand would be a real set back.  So yeah, I am just going to have to suck it up. Marriott KNOWS this too. Maybe that is the risk you were talking about.  They know all we are going to do is blog, post, tweet about how uncool it is (and it is!), then how we are going to just take the lashing, and take being shoved aside for "newly-minted prodigal son brethren" (love that!).

We will have to do this at LEAST until the programs are merged, and these "newly-minted prodigal son brethren" are also too deep in.  When the little tag on their profile no longer says SPG...and they can't make the nights b/c SPGs had less nights, so their shiny new status match has poofed! Then... maybe then.... we won't be shoved aside...as much! and we can get back to our old rants... like Mega Bonuses, targeted promos, points not posting, the smell of smoke in our rooms, extra towels not being brought up or feathers in our beds.

I do think that something for existing LT platinum would be nice. Making LT Plat is some serious commitment!

hoops777 Gold

One thing that all of the Marriott members who are upset about SPG and status,upgrades etc. are overlooking is that SPG will be eventually devalued when the programs become one.Our points will be worth a lot less once the 3 for one goes away.The 3 for 1 actually says quite a lot about how valuable those spg points are in my opinion.So everybody wins a little and loses a little.It is not a perfect world.

I always felt it takes 20 times as much to get a new customer as it does to keep an existing customer

erc well said. Many years ago a person I worked for said never trust a company as in  the end they will operate in their best interest not yours. So always feel at worse you are even since tomorrow you maybe out . I agree go for what you get and don't worry about how this merger plays out.

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

This is just MegaBS at this point. The last MegaBonus made it pretty clear that a second offer would pop up once completing the first step. The current promotion makes no suggestion that another one would pop up once completed. And why would it?! I look forward to the first thread that comes up after someone completes 50 nights on the other offering. That will probably be a free night at a Category 1-5 after completing another 10 nights.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I received same error message, called MR desk and they corrected my account, took all of 1 minute. Not a big deal.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I chose the 2 stay option and just finished the second today. I'm curious to see after it posts if I will get any follow-on offer.

the way this has unfolded next time I will go with the lower option . I will be lucky to get to 10 and would have gotten the same points with 3. Wont do it again