15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2016 10:42 AM by carat RSS

Platinum Challenge

helmi0820 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone, I have a few concerns with regards to platinum challenge. I understand that the challenge requires the Gold member to complete 9 stays within 3 months which I got from the Marriot Rewards call center.

Ok here's the situation. Lets say I started the challenge on 1 November 2016 with the assumption that my current elite nights for the year is 30 and lets assume for each stay that I will make to complete the challenge will be only one night. With the 3 months period means I need to complete my 9 stays by 31 January 2017.

Ok, by 31 December 2016 I manage to complete 7 stays with my cumulated elite night will be 37 nights. Based on my understanding, since I failed to fulfil the requirement of 50 elite night to maintain my gold status, on the 1 January 2017 my elite membership will be downgraded to silver. However, I still have another 31 days in January 2017 to complete my Platinum challenge.

Now, I manage to complete the challenge of 9 stays by 31 January 2017 i.e 7 stays by 31 December 2016 whilst I'm a gold member and 2 stays between 1 Jan - 31 jan 2017 whilst my membership level is only silver.

QUESTION 1: Will I get the platinum status once I completed the 9 stays or my status will only be upgraded from silver to gold back since on the 1 Jan 2017 I am only a silver member?

Question 2: If the answer to question 1 is yes, I will be a platinum member, how long will I hold the platinum status (assuming no activity after I reached platinum status)? Is it for remaining of 2017 and the whole 2018 OR it will be only for 2017?

Hopefully I someone will be able to answer these questions. Thanks a lot!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Challenge
    helmi0820 Gold

Ok after I made some reading, now I understand that my gold status is good until February 2017. In order to maintain my gold status, I need to hit 50 nights by 31 Dec 2016. Lets change the of the effective period of my platinum challenge. Instead of starting on the 1 Nov 2016, let make it start on 15 December 2016. Means, I have from 15 Dec 15 - 14 Mar 2017 to complete the challenge.

My questions are still the same except the timeline is different considering that my gold status will expire by end of February 2017:

QUESTION 1: Will I get the platinum status once I completed the 9 stays or my status will only be upgraded from silver to gold back since on the 1 March 2017 I am only a silver member?

Question 2: If the answer to question 1 is yes, I will be a platinum member, how long will I hold the platinum status (assuming no activity after I reached platinum status)? Is it for remaining of 2017 and the whole 2018 OR it will be only for 2017?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

starryeyedwonder Platinum

I have the exact same questions.

Asking someone to help us clarify.

Thanks for posting.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi helmi0820,

When we enroll members in a status challenge, it is for a specific status; this means that if you were enrolled in a Platinum challenge, you would still be in the Platinum challenge even if you got downgraded from Gold to Silver during the challenge period.

If we enroll you in a challenge during 2016 and you meet the requirements, you would have the status through January, 2018.

Does these clarify your questions?

Thanks!

lov2go Gold

I am also doing the Platinum challenge and would like to know when my time would be up.  From what I read, it says 3 months on this board, although when I called I was told December 31, 2016.  Is there anyway to find out from my account? 

mwg116 Gold 1 Reviews

Hi Deannad,

How do I sign up for the platinum challenge?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi mwg116.  I'd like to help out and have reached out via direct message with additional details.

greekbecky Platinum

Is the Platinum Challenge over?  Is this promotion the same as the Fast Trac?  I've call the rewards desk a few times at least 4+ months ago, but no one ever knows about it, so I gave up, but as I was surfing on MI, I see the subject again.  Sooo, can I still get in on this?  I completely lost on this promo.

nationwide Platinum

greekbecky - to the best of my knowledge, you can sign up for a challenge anytime you like.  You can only do one challenge a year, and you can only challenge to advance one level e.g. Gold to Platinum or Silver to Gold.  Just send a DM to one of the moderators, and they will get you set up. 

greekbecky Platinum

Thanks Nationwide...sound like a plan...:)

worldtraveller29 Platinum

Hi there.

I'm currently Platinum member trough Status Match over a special offer from a german agency till february 2017.

Does anybody know which level I will have next year? They will downgrade me to normal member level or to the Silver level because currently I do have only 12 nights with Marriott. Maybe I will get 20 or 30 at the end of the year! Somebody told me they will downgrade me to Gold but would like to have it clarified before I lose Platinum or even Gold.

Or maybe elite buy back with points early 2017 if promotion is still offered.

chobbits Platinum

I remember those days. My first experience of becoming Platinum was after I completed a challenge. Careful - you will be hooked and seeking to stay at a Marriott all the time. No im hooked Muahahahaaaa

boingboing Platinum

Hi, sorry if I put this in the wrong place but the world of 'challenges' is a mystery to me and I'm unsure whether I should ask or how I should ask.

I'm recently gold - thanks to a fantastic double nights promo - and am currently on 64 nights at present. I have two more points stays (currently in India on holiday and using my points for the odd day of luxury) which will bring me to 66 and then I have a booking end of November of 4 nights which - doubled up - will bring me to 74 nights. This is just one away from the 75 target to get Platinum.

Is there anything the moderators could offer that would get me there? My company is currently on strict travel restrictions so it's a miracle I made it as far as I have this year and I'm unlikely to be able to squeeze in an extra trip to a CY or Marriott before year end. I could book a night somewhere in the UK but we really don't have a lot of Marriotts in places that are relevant to me over here.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you've done quite a bit of traveling this year, boingboing.  When it comes to the Platinum Challenge, you would need to complete 9 separate, paid stays over a given time period, usually around 3 months.  Although, from what you've written above, it does not sound like you will be traveling much in the upcoming months.  However, in being only one night off from Platinum, I'd like to see if there is something else that would work better for you.  I've reached out via direct message for additional details. 

boingboing Platinum

Hi Cara

I think you are right that a challenge like this is not for me. I'm happy to stick on gold and have a good head start on next year's target. So thanks but no thanks on the challenge

Barbara

You're quite welcome, boingboing.  When you're ready to participate in the challenge, let us know, we'll be able to assist with the registration. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...