15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2017 2:21 PM by nationwide RSS

WSJ Article on the Best Places to Earn and Burn

nationwide Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

What do you think about the article in today's Wall Street Journal?  Wyndham takes the prize, and there are some interesting observations of Marriott and Starwood too.  Take a look at the link below and let's discuss.

The Best and Worst Hotels for Cashing in Rewards Points - WSJ

• Re: WSJ Article on the Best Places to Earn and Burn
    seatexan Platinum

Looks like I have to sign in or up.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rle Gold

I only wish I could read the whole article so I could weigh in.  Apparently, you have to sign up or already be a subscriber. Thanks, though!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

nationwide copy paste? I am watching the vid.

rle Gold

Thank you for that, SeaTexan; I had not noticed the video. 

That was incredibly interesting to see that a hotel chain I have never stayed at or considered (except maybe I have stayed at a Days Inn once or twice back before I knew any better) actually scores the highest.  Wyndham's 14% return on dollars spent is amazing! 

Of particular noteworthiness is the fact that Marriott's latest acquisition, Starwood, scored the lowest at only 5.6% return.  I am sure the article itself probably covers in more detail where the other hotel chain rewards programs fall in between (I am sure we are all interested in Marriott's score) but this certainly makes me happier about my decision to remain a Marriott loyalist rather than chomping at the bit to explore the Starwood world.  It certainly seems as though I will be better served transferring over any SPG points to Marriott rather than vice versa (besides the fact that there is a 33% devaluation of my Marriott points in transferring to SPG). 

nationwide Platinum

Apologies for the inability to read... glad you were able to see the video. 

The stack ranking according to IdeaWorks was "based on 1,305 queries conducted in August comparing room prices in cash and in points, plus how many points would be earned by nonelite program members."  They compared these six hotel chains, and they concluded that "for every $100 you spend at Wyndham, Ramada, Days Inn, Wingate and other hotels, you can get back $13.60 worth of stays on points." 

Wyndham Rewards - 13.6%

Marriott Rewards - 9.0%

Choice Privileges - 8.5%

Hilton Honors - 7.7%

IHG Rewards - 7.4%

Starwood SPG - 5.6%

rle Gold

Great information!

Thanks for that!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I had a few stays at a Microtel (Wyndham) over a three year period a few years back. It was brand new so in really good shape. At that time, the points expired quickly. I remember checking in and asking the FO person if they could see my total and she informed me they had expired. It was just over one year...

I'm not sure if they've changed that policy, but that sure didn't feel good.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

thx . When you look at Starwood they focus on their elite with bonuses and specials. Not surprising for average traveler they are not the best. As we discussed at Tipple it will be interesting to see how Tom combines the program one more elite and one more  balanced   

indytors Silver

Any chance of Wyndham and Marriott/SPG merger?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Would think anti trust would look at that negatively . Too much concentration . Also Marriott has enough to digest for a while

nationwide Platinum

I think jerryl is all over the logical next step here.  Marriott is trying to eat the elephant on the table in front of them. (one bite at a time)

rle Gold

Wyndham must be trying to step up their profile lately.  I just noticed that their rewards program is offering a flat 15,000 point per night redemption rate.  Their Visa card finally dropped the Foreign Transaction Fees and now offers elite status for using the card and a 30K point sign-up bonus.  I don't know how recent this is and if it is possibly in response to the WSJ article or if this was prior and helped to up their profile and results on that report.  I am still not making plans to stay at a Wyndham any time soon but I thought it was interesting to note, especially as Marriott and SPG scored 2nd and last, respectively.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

nationwide, Travel Hacking 101 (a Facebook site run by Richard Kerr who is a Points Guy contributor) seems to think that this WSJ article was an advertorial paid for by Wyndham.  I'm not sure I agree, but it's an interesting perspective.  We've used Wyndham when visiting relatives in Fargo, ND because Marriott has limited and often overly expensive properties that are not very impressive.  The FFI, SHS and CY properties there are usually double the cost of a similar Wyndham property in the Fargo-Moorhead area.  I also use Wyndham for my state bar convention which moves around the state but is always at a Wyndham property.  We also know people who have Wyndham timeshares and really enjoy them.  I've also used Wyndham when trying to save money as it has more budget options than Marriott.  The Super 8 brand is certainly not fancy, but it can cost about 1/3 of what Marriott charges for a FFI or SHS and works just fine for a cross country road trip in/through rural America.

But most of my travel is to downtown areas of big cities, so Marriott is generally better for my needs. 

nationwide Platinum

clebert - very interesting perspective indeed.  I tried to find the Travel Hacking 101 article, but was unable.  Can you share a link?  Wyndham's 15,000 points per night redemption is very intriguing to me.  I love my Marriott, but with the devaluation of Marriott points, it would be nice to have another option in my pocket.  I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with Wyndham.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

https://www.facebook.com/groups/travelhacking101/

This is the FB site.  There is an Oct. 6 post talking about this article.  The moderator/site owner, Richard Kerr, doesn't say it's an advertorial (my bad) but says the study was funded by Wyndham which could be true.

I also should mention that we stayed at a Wyndham Travelodge by MCO airport once for $39 for a 1 BR suite for a family of four, including free breakfast and free parking.  It was not fancy but worked great for us and was super convenient.  This was their actual regular rate - not a Priceline thing or other type of bargain arrangement.  So I think they are very, very strong in the budget market.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...