15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2016 3:08 PM by sdcinok RSS

Marriott Visa 4000 bonus pts?

homoviator Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Did anybody who has a marriott CC get an email like this? And more importantly, did anybody get their bonus points? I easily achieved this but feel like I haven't seen the points. Any comments are welcome before I start calling to ask. 

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:
From July 1 – September 30, 2016, spend $4,000 on purchases and get an additional 4,000 bonus points1.

There's no activation or enrollment needed. Just continue to use your card as you normally would to earn your bonus — plus the Marriott Rewards points you already earn on every purchase.

And as always, you can take advantage of great card benefits like 5X points on purchases at participating Marriott locations worldwide2, a Free Night Stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year3, a host of travel and purchase protection benefits4 and so much more.
Very sincerely,
The Marriott Rewards® Credit Card Team

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Visa 4000 bonus pts?
    cjmarriott Silver 1 Reviews

No, I didn't receive the email or the points...and yes, I easily achieved this, too.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi homoviator,

If you could send me a direct message with your Rewards number, I can certainly look into this for you.

Thanks!

AZDesertRat Platinum

I have both a personal and a business Marriott Rewards VISA card and did not receive that email.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I didn't get the offer.  Must have been a targeted one.

nationwide Platinum

homoviator, I didn't get this offer either.  As californian states, it must have been targeted at you.    So, are you a super-spender (put everything on the card), or a just in case of emergency user, or somewhere in between?  It would be interesting to see if we could discern the target demographics via the responses of a few Insiders.  I would count myself in the first group:  I put everything possible on the card and then pay it off in full at the end of the month.  They know I am using it, so I can't imagine they would want to throw any more points my way for spend they are already getting.   How about you homoviator?  Let's tag Jsucool76, our professor emeritus of all things credit card related.... what do you think about the targeted recipients of these extra point offers?

homoviator Platinum

Reading the responses so far, I'm guessing it was targeted--Thanks big data! ;-). So normally I'm not a heavy user of CCs and not of that one--mostly Marriotts (enough to keep my status without being totally obsessive) and occasionally restaurants or car rentals to get my 2x points. They've probably established a pattern that if they offer me an incentive (a la mega bonus) they can get me to put it in heavier rotation. It worked. well, sort of. I don't think I ever got the points for it. If they were smart, they would do it more. 

AZDesertRat Platinum

nationwide - My card usage is similar to yours.  I use both cards as much as possible and never carry a balance, so it would be surprising if I received an incentive offer for more use of the card(s).

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi all,

As some of you have eluded too, this promotion was only available to solicited members.

For those of you who did receive this offer, the bonus points should post to your account within six to eight weeks after the end of the promotion period, provided you met the spending requirement.

Thank you!

nationwide Platinum

AndrewT, I think you mean we "alluded" to this.  We suggested we were not part of the bonus by design.  Eluding something is entirely different, as in to escape or avoid something.  That has a much more nefarious meaning ...

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I did not get this offer!

rle Gold

I did not receive the Marriott Visa offer either.

I consider myself a frequent spender on the card; my partner and I use this as our shared credit card so all of our shared expenses go on the card and then we each have our own personal' "other-points-earning" cards that we use for our non-shared expenses (he has the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and I just switched over to the SPG AMEX).  So to add to the demographics inquiry, we spend an average of $2K-$4K on the card a month (give or take).

I was just having this conversation yesterday with my best friend (who is a very loyal and avid SPG member and has been for years) because the SPG AMEX was offering a similar deal for an extra 5K bonus points for a $5K spend from now through December 15th.  He is an SPG Platinum member and has had the SPG AMEX for a very long time; he uses it for every expenditure.  I have only had the SPG AMEX for about a month and neither of us were targeted for that offer.

I insisted these "targeted offers" must be made at random but he insists that it is not.  To back up my argument, I pointed out that the comments section attached to the SPG AMEX article that appeared on The Points Guy's website yesterday was full of disgruntled SPG AMEX card members from every spectrum of spend level, longevity, location and other demographic, all who were not targeted for this promotion. Some people who indicated that they had both the personal and business versions of the SPG card were either targeted on both, not targeted on either or targeted for one or the other.  This did not convince my friend of my argument but I present it to you for whatever it is worth. 

It sure would have been nice to receive the offer from the Marriott Visa, I could have used an extra 4K bonus points.  Oh well.

nationwide Platinum

RLE - outstanding insights!  Thank you so much for sharing a much broader comparison set of inputs.  It will be interesting to see whether these targeted bonus campaigns continue in such narrowly focused ways as the programs converge.  With them making a mint on the super-spenders, and us continuing to compare notes, that's bound to hurt business as some folks are going to get torqued and bolt for another card.  Pay attention Marriott and SPG, you are risking alienating some of your most loyal money-makers.

homoviator Platinum

I think we all are actually going to see more of these as the credit card companies get smarter with their info. This potentially can turn into a win for all of us.  Imagine this, if they see that a 4000 spend work, why not kick it up to a 5000 the next time.  Even if the spender hits ever bonus, I really doubt the CCs are ever losing.

Jsucool76 Gold

I got one of these offers a few months back. Isn't really worth it in my opinion. It's basically 2x on general spend for $4,000.

but if I spend 4k on the SPG card...i get 12k marriott points

There's also quite a few other cards where you could make more than the extra $$ on 4k in spend.

If you're gonna spend 4k on hotels in that time, then definitely go for it. Or if you don't have other credit cards you use regularly.

sdcinok Gold 1 Reviews

I can't say that I knew anything about this promotion, but noticed today 4,000 Bonus Points show up on my credit card statement and did a Google search and found this topic on the Forum.

So, if they were trying to entice me to spend differently, I guess they failed at that.  However, I certainly appreciate the bonus points in recognition of how I used my card during the bonus period.  Glad no "sign-up" was required or else I might have missed that...

Thanks Marriott!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...