21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2016 5:09 PM by seatexan RSS

Universal Electrical Outlet - A Logical Hotel Feature

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here at the new Abu Dhabi Marriott, the room is sprinkled with universal electrical outlets.  HOORAY!

20161003_104157.jpg

I've seen these in Asia and the Middle East for some time, but this is the first time I've seen one in a Marriott property.  I hope it's a trend!

Have you seen these in other Marriott properties?  Will we be seeing more of them?

This seems like the kind of thing that the Marriott room designers should be offering around the world, particularly in airport hotels. 

More on this topic, broadly:

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Universal Electrical Outlet - A Logical Hotel Feature
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ssindc We saw these in at the JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai, at the JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur, and in JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square in Seoul, so it seems to be a trend.  I heard that the CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta is going to them soon, so I think they seem to be headed there.  Still makes all my devices do bad things when we try to charge them, so need to get 110V to 220V adapters for things you want to take with you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

tryt53,

The CasaMagna Puerto Vallarta has 110V available already in the rooms since I didn't take a converter and everything charged (Samsung phone and SkyCaddie) just fine. I thought (strange concept I know) they also had a getup that looked similar to what ssindc posted. 

Yes, IAHFLYR, they have always had the 110V since I started going there 8 years ago, but I heard they are going to the Universal that has 220V, in the future, which means I will need to take universal adapters now.  We'll see, I guess.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Why on earth would they make a complete switch with so many guests from 110V countries? Maybe their adding the 220V to the rooms and keeping the 110V as well. 

Guess we need to check with Simon don't we tryt53?  I'd rather not have to take my converter along with the other junk already needed for five days of golf!!

IAHFLYR, We will be going back for the last week of October with family and friends, so I will get the scoop when i see Simon again. Looking forward to visiting the big cemetery in Puerto Vallarta for Dia de los Muertos for the wonderful celebration of life and those who have passed on.  Definitely not a spot on most visitor tourist agendas

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

These days many chargers (cell phone, computer, tablet, etc.) are dual voltage. Make sure you check before using without a converter so you don't risk frying your device. The one pictured here works for 110-240V.

adapter.jpg

Half the time the print on these things is so small I need a magnifier to read it. On the plus side, I've been able to use my charger anywhere, though sometimes I do need an adapter for the shape of the power outlet.

lobbster Platinum

This is a great idea that I've never seen before! The Courtyard I'm currently staying at in Zurich has Swiss, European and USA style plugs at the desk (no UK, but I'll survive!), but these would be even better.

seatexan Platinum

But do we still need a voltage converter with these? I have a white noise machine I bring everywhere with me.  It's little.  I was trying to figure out how to make it work over seas.  120 v. says for domestic use only. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

very nice idea. With a lot of devices that one can bring on a trip it will be nice not to have to bring a lot of adaptors

bacon14 Platinum

I have to travel with my noise machine too!  Several years back I broke down and got a new little one that will also run on batteries, it's absolutely ideal.  My husband keeps telling me to use the "app" on my phone but I still prefer the machine ....

seatexan Platinum

bacon14 oh!!! which one do you have?  Maybe I should look into that.  The phone ones don't sound the same at all. 

I have the Marpac Dohm.  It is so worth it for me to bring that wherever I go. I just put it in checked luggage when I fly domestic or even to Costa Rica (same voltage there).

bacon14 Platinum

SeaTexan I have the travel sleep sound machine from Sound Oasis. It's small enough to put in your carryon if you want.  When I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Thailand I just brought a second set of batteries and got through the whole trip on those.  I would happily travel with less of anything as long as I have the noise machine!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...