11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2010 5:11 PM by nikolas RSS

Waikiki Marriott Question

lainee Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I hope to travel with my two children (ages 12 and 9) this summer to Honolulu.  I would like to stay at the Marriott Resort in Waikiki but it says the beach is across a street.

How wide is the street and how hard is it to cross?

Does it put a damper on the visit by having to go across a road in order to go to the beach?

Thank You!

• Re: Waikiki Marriott Question
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

It is a very busy street and very inconvienent if kids want to return to the room often.  You might consider the JW Marriott Ihilani at Koalina, about a 25-30 drive west of Hon., but very nice and in a quiet area. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"You might consider the JW Marriott Ihilani at Koalina, about a 25-30 drive west of Hon., but very nice and in a quiet area. "

The Marriott Vacation Club Ko Olina might be better.  Thanks to Disney, paradise is lost and JW Ihilani is no longer quiet. To suppport a thriving sail, stay and vacation business, construction started on a megalapolis theme resort next door to the JW last year.  Passengers from Disney cruises from the mainland will inundate the island in the not-to- distant-future.  There are several posts about the noise and construction activity with pictures, video and first-hand accounts: Re: Ko Olina - too much construction nearby?

Most recently, an Insider staying at the Marriott Vacation Club experienced a wonderful time and reports minimal noise:  Re: Hawaii Advice with several family-friendly pros (lagoons) and cons ($30/day parking).  Personally, burning hundreds of dollars to fly to Hawaii only to be disappointed by paradise lost may merit serious rethinking.  When I'm on vacation, I do not want to see construction activity of any kind, have any remote possibility of noise or experience any type of dust or debris wafing in the tropical tradewinds as I drive by.  To be with small children in that environment is too close for comfort.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Maybe I'm just not very picky, but our stay at the JW Ihilani last month was as good as we remembered 5 years ago.  Saw the construction, but honestly weren't disturbed by it at all.  Marriott standards and our expectations were still met and at times exceeded. 

ajm2008 Gold 2 Reviews

I took my family (then 2 kids & wife) there in 2007 and stayed at that Marriott.  It was very nice and across the street, but there is a traffic light nearby, so it was not a big deal.  The beach across the street had a big breakwater area and you could walk most of the way to the breakwater.  Further up the beach to the North is an area where all of the surfers go to play.  You and your kids will love it!  If you don't want the big city atmosphere, don't go there, go to Kauai or Maui.  The Big Island is cool too, but not really much beach to speak of because it is really an active volcano still.  There is plenty to do on Oahu though!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Our recent stay was the same positive experience!

Cornhusker, thanks for the reminder of a great time!

The Budget rental car office was really great as well!

tjcnewyork Platinum

NuHusker and Jerry

It's good to hear that Marriott not only met expections but provided an oasis.

TJC -- I'll tell you the truth...I was concerned that our recent stay at Koalina wasn't going to provide relaxation due to all the construction talked about on this board.  But fortunately for us, we were hardly aware of it, other than seeing the progress.  I still give the JW Ihilani the top shelf trophy for best stay, and best property.  Hope others get to enjoy it sometime.

arizonamom Silver 2 Reviews

We stayed at the Marriott Waikiki for one night coming off of 7 nights at the Marriott KoOlina in Oahu. 

The Marriott Waikiki is downtown.  It's in a downtown setting and we didn't like it.  The buildings are very tall, the balcony is tiny and a huge drop fear with little kids.  The beach is crowded and there were several homeless people floating around the vacationers, it was unsettling.  We much preferred the resort feeling of KoOlina.  It's private, it's a resort and the cove is right there.  You have a crosswalk to get to the Waikiki beach but it's not a happy setting, it's like any other downtown.  I guess it depends on what you envision for your vacation.

Good luck!

arizonamom Silver 2 Reviews

I agree with the others, Waikiki is not a place for kids.  Try the other side of the island, KoOlina or JW.  It's not far to drive and you'll be all over the island anyway! 

Have fun!

mssjed01 Gold 2 Reviews

Hi,

I am a single mother with a 9 year old son.  We have been going to Honolulu annually for the last 4 years.  We stayed at the Waikiki Marriot last summer.  It is very convenient to the beach and the trolley picks up on the side of the hotel.  It is busy and there are a lot of people around.  Everyone is friendly and the atmosphere is definitely touristy.  Rooms are a little small but its an older hotel and you expect that.  Rooms have been refurbished.  Breakfast buffet was a must for us and Starbucks is close by. 

This year we will probably stay at the Hilton Hawaiian againbecause it is more of a resort, has children activities, and more secluded.  It depends on what you want.  Waikiki Marriot is definitely in the area where there is more movement, people, and activity!

nikolas Silver 2 Reviews

It's about the same like in Miami Beach on Ocean Dr. It's not too hard to cross it, but it's very crowded place.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...