7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2016 6:13 PM by arjaie08 RSS

Who wanted a Marriott UK credit card?? Read on...

fistuk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Now, when our Marriott & SPG account are linked, they're quite the same, points wise.

So since in the UK the Marriott credit card has been discontinued, quite a long time ago, and lots of us were asking lots of questions, I found out that with the linked accounts UK members can actually have such a card:

All you need to do is to apply for the Amex SPG card! This one has been available for SPG members, but now we can consider it also as a Marriott credit card because we can transfer the points between SPG and Marriott easily!!

Comparing to the old discontinued UK Marriott card this is a better one as you get 10k Starwood bonus points (which are 30k Marriott points). In addition, it accumulates 1 Starwood point for every £1 spent (which is actually 3 Marriott points per £1), while the old Marriott card accumulated less Marriott points (only 2 points per £1).

For someone who didn't have the chance to get the old UK card this is definitely the solution. However, there're some lucky brits, like our old buddy brightlybob, who've been using the old Marriott card so far, but now perhaps it will be a good idea to switch?... definitely something to think about.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Who wanted a Marriott UK credit card?? Read on...
    seatexan Platinum

arjaie08 tagging you here.  Not sure if you are in the UK, but maybe this will help?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

arjaie08 Gold

Appreciate the thought SeaTexan and will check it out but do not live in the UK so that could be an issue

lobbster Platinum

I looked into this as an option too as I was told over a year ago on this forum not to expect another UK Marriott Credit Card for the foreseeable future. Bear in mind though that I was told by one of the moderators on the day the merger was finalised that points earned and transferred from the SPG Amex card won't count towards your lifetime points balance which is what I really wanted it for!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, fistuk, I spotted this one. I'll be getting my application in, 3 points per £ is pretty dang good, though it is AMEX and they're not that easy to spend on

trevfour Platinum

I'm still using the Marriott Rewards MasterCard, but have just applied for and been granted the Amex rewards gold card.

Fee free for the first year and 20,000 membership reward points on a £2000 spend, which convert to 10,000 starpoints, which again convert to 30,000 Marriott reward points.

fistuk Platinum

trevfour,

Than applying for that card you did doesn't make sense... Why get the same bonus for double the spend?

The SPG card requires you to spend half of that.

trevfour Platinum

HI fistuk, I went for the Amex Gold as no fee for a year, and £2000 was achievable with planned stays till the end of the year. Apart from that I liked the colour.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...