40 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2016 12:52 PM by tewas21 RSS

What items do you take with you to make your hotel stay more comfortable?

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I used to always take plug-in nightlights for the bathroom.  It was enough light to see my way around in the dark.  Unfortunately, I'd forget to remove them when I was packing up, so I stopped doing that.  Instead, I buy a pack of glow-in-the-dark sticks from the dollar store. It does the same job and I don't need to fret over having left a more expensive item at the hotel.

I also take inexpensive flip-flops to wear in the room, down to the pool, etc.  They're lightweight and don't take much room in the suitcase.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What items do you take with you to make your hotel stay more comfortable?
    mustanggt Platinum

I always bring a bottle of water and a snack in case the CL is closed and there is no free water in the room (I will not pay for a bottle of water in the room).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great topic and awesome creativity, muppetwrangler!  Using glow sticks as night lights is genius and would be perfect when traveling with little ones as well! When staying at a Residence Inn, I like to bring some coffee with me.  That way, the familiar smell in the morning has its way of keeping me on track. 

peymanagement Platinum

I have started to bring a small fan and in winter one of those little humidifiers that attach to the top of a bottle of water. I am also really fussy on pillows so if I am driving I bring my own pillow.

annew20 Gold

I bring Lysol wipes to do additional cleaning for the remote control, door handles, etc.   Also flip flops & ipad. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I bring lots of things that I sometimes use, sometimes don't, but as to purely for comfort?  Flip flops more and more than in the past, they are comfortable.  I do try to always keep a zip lock baggie of raw almonds on hand.  They can come in handy on really busy travel days.  If traveling with the husband or when encountering noisy hotel room neighbors, an eye mask and ear plugs are an imperative for good sleep.  I also now keep a swim suit in the bag.  I never like to miss an opportunity for a relaxing swim.  That's about it.  Marriott does a pretty good job of seeing to my comfort.

Do you just love the hotel bathrooms where when you turn off the lights, there's an under-the-cupboard night light?  They had them at the Mayflower in DC prior to the renovation and I have also encountered them at JW's.  They have them at the Renaissance Il Ciocco too.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I bring a heating pad, especially, if I am going to be hiking or skiing. Aches and pains come easily in our 70s.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

In addition to my laptop I've gotten into the habit of bringing my Roku Stick along so that I can stream content.  Most of the time its hard to find something entertaining to watch on hotel tv but its not a problem if I have my Roku Stick. 

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I just purchased a Roku Stick myself and am excited to test it out on the road.  Is the transition from TV to TV as seamless as they say, vaboywnder?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

carat,

Yeah at most Marriott properties its very seamless by just plugging it into the HDMI port.  The updated Roku software now makes it easy to to connect to the hotel Wifi.  At some hotels the TV remote control does not have a way of changing the input to the HDMI connection.  Most of the time you can do it directly on the TV or download a remote control app on your smart phone.  I keep an LG remote app on my phone as most properties use LG TVs.

Another nice feature of the Roku stick is you can mirror content from your smart phone or tablet directly to the TV.

nationwide Platinum

muppetwrangler - I love this question!  I bring a ziplock bag with my Earl Grey teabags and some Stevia packets.  I always enjoy a cup of tea first thing in the morning, and I don't want to wait until I am dressed and in the lounge.  I also bring my flip-flops or Birkenstock sandals, because they make my feet feel better walking around in the room.  Once upon a time, I kept earplugs in my bag for noisy neighbors, but haven't needed those in quite some time.  Lastly, I try to run 3 or 4 days a week, so I'll bring an ice-pack for my knee afterwards.  I like the tips in this thread!

seatexan Platinum

Fun topic!

Just like bacon14 sound machine!

Water

Clorox wipes Togo! Yeah annew20, agreed! gotta wipe the remote.

Tea  - I feel you nationwide

muppetwrangler the glow stick idea is genius! And very colorful!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

As those of you who were at the TIPPLE know my flip flops are standard wear so they are always in the roll-a-board.

Otherwise, I really don't take anything else to make the stay more comfortable.  Oh yes I do, an old pair of basketball shorts (you know the kind old, baggy and well worn) and tank top to lounge around the room.....but never wear that to the CL.

carat all the RI we have stayed have coffee in the rooms so maybe you've been to the Motel 6 RI.   Now granted the coffee in the room is equal to drinking an old soda where all the carbonation has left the can.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Interesting idea. I have usually left the bathroom light on and keep the door mostly shut to provide enough light when getting up in the night in an unfamiliar place

chobbits Platinum

Just an inflatable alsation, normally.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I bring plug-in nightlights and keep a notecard with "nightlight" on it clothespinned to my hanging toiletry bag.  I do the same thing if I put something in the safe.  I have never forgotten a nightlight or the contents of the safe.

If we drive, I always bring my pillow. The fold-up bag that some of us got to try out out for the Townplace Suites/Container Store promotion is perfect for carrying my pillow.  Sometimes I even bring it when we fly if I check a bag.   If I don't bring my pillow, I will bring my own pillowcase.

We used to bring a fan, but have gotten out of the habit for some reason.  I need to get back in the habit.  When we did bicycle trips in Europe, we would purchase a small fan when we arrived and give it away when we left.

I also bring an assortment of zip lock bags, safety pins, band-aids, duct tape, scotch tape, clothespins, highlighters, paper clips, ear plugs (for noisy neighbors and/or snoring husband), scissors, paper towels, plastic cutlery, paring knife (if I check a bag), antibacterial wipes (also use these to wipe armrests, seat buckle, tray table, and touch screen on an airplane) and an old pair of glasses I can still see out of in case I lose my good ones.  None of these things take up much room and keep us from having to make an unexpected trip to the store.

Zonahiker Platinum

Pillow - Like to sleep on my own. Flashlight - never know if there is going to be a power outage. - Roku stick - fun to chat with home folks about shows we watch together. Disinfectant wipes - enough said. And when I am staying at a place that supplies breakfast, Ezechial bread for my morning toast.

Jsucool76 Gold

I'll almost always have a bottle of water with me (in case the hotel charges for the in-room bottles).

Other than that, I try to bring as little with me as possible. Anything I know I can get from the hotel for free, I don't bring with me. I find my rooms to usually be fairly comfortable.

Closest I can get to my must need item is my cell phone, but that never gets left behind. After that would be my laptop, but i usually don't bring that (except on longer trips) because I can do everything from my phone.

If I'm not flying, I'll often have my leatherman with me, as I find it's just convenient to have all the time.

tewas21 Platinum

I bring a short, t-shirt, a pair of socks & underwear, and a cooler for drinks for beachside stays. In the city, a pair of inexpensive shades and a coffee mug.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...