7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2016 3:47 PM by seatexan RSS

Advice on Zika Concern re: Costa Rica

andrew415 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I am planning on taking my family to Costa Rica (Los Suenos Marriott) for a week in late November, and I am a little concerned/preoccupied with Zika virus concerns. Although Zika is not making the headlines it was prior to the Olympics in Brazil, my understanding is that the outbreak is by no means under control. A European government website i found (Current Zika transmission) lists Costa Rica as an area of "widespread transmission."

So a few questions I have:

1. Is it irresponsible to take my family to a Zika-exposed region right now?
  2. How is the risk level in Costa Rica relative to other countries?
  3. What are some products or preventative measures I can take to reduce the risk of exposure while down there? This article basically says the surest way to avoid problems is to prevent mosquito bites, so do i just load up the wife and kids on mosquito repellent spray and clothing?

I have to admit that I wasn't even thinking about Zika when I originally planned this vacation, but my sister recently started expressing some concerns about our trip and now she's got me all stressed out! All advice from fellow travelers is appreciateda

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Herradura, Costa Rica Marriott Hotels & Resorts Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
  • Re: Advice on Zika Concern re: Costa Rica
    seatexan Platinum

In Costa Rica, you are more likely to get dengue fever and or chikungunya, mainly in the rainy season.  Nov is not really rainy season, its well on it's way to dry season, Dec is dry dry.

I usually visit in the rainy season.  Less people, lower cost in general.  In the evenings I would use bug spray.  I didn't feel a thing in the day. I brought some spray with deet in it, just to be on the safe side.

My parents live there and have for a few years and haven't gotten dengue or chikungunya.  They also do not know of anyone that has had the Zika virus. I am not saying it is 100% safe, but it's no worse than going to Miami where there was an out break.

Map of the US with reported out breaks.

Maps of Zika in the United States| Zika virus | CDC

Map of the Americas

Countries & Territories with Active Local Zika Virus Transmission | Zika virus | CDC

I hope this helps!  I personally will go back to Costa Rica.  It's amazing...and well I do love to visit my parents!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

andrew415 Member

Thanks SeaTexan. That's put's me more at ease. Especially good to know we're going during the more or less "dry season" down there.

seatexan Platinum

You are welcome! It is a beautiful place to visit.  And I would not worry about a thing.  Nov is great shoulder season time.

On a side note - any place I have ever been to in Costa Rica, hotel, restaurant, bar... The services is not up to speed. They take their time for everything.  It's "pura vida" and they don't know the meaning of time... so when you want to order your meal, or a refill, or even the check, just flag someone down with a smile .  

I stayed at the JW Guanacaste in mid Aug. Everyone was so friendly! The hostesses however didn't have a clue on how to really greet and seat

Much of the what we might consider as "slow service" is very cultural.  No one is in a hurry!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

andrew415, I went to Puerto Rico during the height of the outbreak there and survived, despite getting many bug bites in El Yunque (which was awesome and worth it).  If I got zika I didn't have any symptoms (most people don't) so I guess we'll never know.  But I would definitely stay away if your wife is pregnant or trying to get be pregnant.  No sense in taking that type of risk. 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

PS -  I don't think kids get zika.  Only adults.  Did not fact check but that's what they were saying in PR when it was all over the news.  But then again my Spanish isn't the greatest

andrew415 Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. We're proceeding with the trip. Although kids definitely can get Zika (from what I have found online), given the time of year, the risk should be pretty low. Also, i read here that Zika has been documented in the US going back to 2007! - 10 Essential Facts About Zika Virus | Everyday Health

Anyhow, thank you again for all the helpful tips!

seatexan Platinum

Have a wonderful trip!!! I know you will enjoy it! Pura Vida!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...