23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2016 2:14 PM by rle RSS

SPG - American Express Credit Card Offer

seatexan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else just get a SPG American Express CC offer?

I have had a SPG acct for a while, tho I have never made a single stay at a SPG property. Or had an offer like this.

So this is what it says:

For a Limited Time, Earn Two Free Nights. Offer Ends October 19, 2016.

Apply for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, and once approved, you'll earn 2 free nights at participating SPG® Category 1–5 hotels & resorts worldwide after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.1 Note: A select few resorts require additional fees. 

Apply by October 19, 2016, and upon approval, you'll enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 per year.

With the 80k offer, I had to pay the 95, no big deal. So Oct 2017 say people pay the fee... then Marriott cancels the card... ew... wonder if people are prorated? LOL

It is similar to our card, but they get 2 nights, no points. We get 1 night and as of now, 80,000 points.  Of course they have 1-7 cat properties so a 5 for them isn't too bad.  Some of our 5s are nice (JW Galleria - great deal there!).

Reach elite privileges more quickly. As a Card Member, you'll receive credit for 5 nights and 2 stays each year toward SPG Elite Status. That's just 20 nights from SPG Gold status and 45 nights from Platinum status in a calendar year.

Pay no foreign transaction fees for international purchases. Yeah assuming you can find a place that take American Express.

Free in-room, premium Internet access while staying at hotels and resorts that participate in SPG. Booking requirements apply.

I have never looked into this card, so I don't know if all these things are standard or they are REALLY pushing the card for now. Mr. CC guru, Jsucool76 any ideas?

I won't be taking them up on this offer, but they must really be pushing. I am sure applications have gone down due to the merge. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: SPG - American Express Credit Card Offer
    Jsucool76 Gold

Standard offer is 25k points (available if you Google or login to your spg account)

25k points can be better or worse depending on how you look at it. Can transfer to Marriott at 1:3, so 75k Marriott points.

Spg card is also the highest earning marriott card (oddly enough) on general spend and dining, earning 1 spg point, or 3 Marriott points per dollar spent. Definitely a good thing to pop onto, especially if amex transfers it to a Marriott card (like Barclay's with the US airways card).

I'll likely be applying for it.

I did ask Thom Kozik if there was any plans for the spg card to be turned Marriott, and his answer was "lovely weather we're having"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

Ha of course he would say that! ;D

Hmmm so what happens when a CC gets cancelled and becomes another one? I would imagine your balance, if any would be transferred over, but do they just automatically ship a new card.  Poof! here is your Marriott Visa...even though I already have one.... so now I have 2???

75k in Marriott points is pretty good! I didn't even think of the 1 spg point earn would turn into 3....at least until Marriott decides to cut off that ratio.  I guess they will keep it at least in 2017.

I'd rather points than 2 nights stay w SPG.

Jsucool76 Gold

It would be poof, here's your new Marriott amex. You'd get an email that says "hey your spg amex is becoming a Marriott amex" and that happens. (if it happens)

seatexan Platinum

Ah sorry, I mean if Amx is dropped like it was at costco... then what?

Jsucool76 Gold

Well if this change was to happen with amex, I don't know if they'd be able to sell the accounts to anyone other than chase.

But you would just get a new card for whoever bought it.

If they don't change the spg cards to Marriott cards, they will likely change you to a non cobranded amex card (Blue Cash everyday, everyday, etc)

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Im finding fewer and fewer merchants take AMEX, the promo's are enticing for the points and perks but I think the card is rapidly going by the wayside...

JD

Jsucool76 Gold

Amex offers alone are fantastic. Plus 3 marriott points per dollar is pretty great. Most big stores/restaurants take them. It's the small businesses that might not take them, but amex has a search tool for local small businesses that take amex cards. 

seatexan Platinum

Jsucool76 I could not find the 25k point offer when I logged into my acct.    I think it has been replaced by the 2 nights offer...

jamesdean yeah, I think you are right.

Jsucool76 Gold

Jsucool76 Gold

Just applied myself. 75k marriott points is easy. Likely the reason they moved to free night certificates is to prevent large amounts of points transfers.

got approved for 8k limit

droma Platinum

Hopefully they'll eventually count towards the new lifetime scheme (at the same requirements)!

seatexan Platinum

I just decided to upgrade my poor green to Premier Gold... so not sure I want to add another CC to my life  - even if the points are awesome.  That would be two CC checks in less than a week! My new card is on it's way already.

Jsucool76 Gold

Did you upgrade your green, or close it and open a gold? Also, if you upgraded I hope you got a nice upgrade offer.

Missing out on some points if you simply product change.

Also, if you just upgraded and didn't apply, they won't have pulled your credit.

seatexan Platinum

Oh I upgraded... I didn't get another option.  The CCs had "apply" but Plat and Gold had "upgrade". When I clicked on a point offer, it brought me to Amex and told me current Amex people were not offered this.

Jsucool76 Gold

Gotta sign out of your account and apply (possibly in an incognito window).

You are eligible for sign up offers.

Now you can apply for the spg card though, since you didn't take a hit for your upgrade xD

cklee Gold 1 Reviews

We have Chase Marriott card, but just got this SPG for following reasons:

1. There is no annual fee for 1st year

2. Instead of points, we get 2 free nights at SPG properties,  at 1-5. SPG Cat 5 is more like Marriott Cat 6 or 7

3. Based on current status matching (assuming it continues next year), it will be a lot easier to achieve Gold status thru SPG and match with Marriott

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I got the card about 6 months ago in expectation of the merger and really like it. I often get 15% off at some local restaurants and the cinema.

Now that the plans are linked I've switched to it from my Marriott Visa for my day-to-day spend.

If anybody wants a referral with 25k bonus for $3k/3mo spend then feel free to PM me your first name and e-mail address.

rle Gold

I decided to get the SPG card when Marriott merged with SPG so that I could take advantage of the 1:3 points transfer ratio.  The 25K points sign-up bonus equates to 75K Marriott Rewards Points!  Sadly, they will not apply these points towards my lifetime elite status.  I understand why they would not allow it if you transferred points (or were gifted points) from someone else's Marriott account of from some other source but now that Marriott and SPG have merged, if you transfer YOUR own points from your SPG account to your Marriott account, that should count towards your lifetime status.  After all, the companies and the rewards programs will eventually be one (estimated in 2018).

Actually, this is a good question: if I do not transfer my SPG points, which will count towards my SPG status, until after the rewards programs are merged together into one, will they then count towards my lifetime status?  Because, really, they should regardless.  They are earned points within the family.  Anyway...discuss!  Weigh-in!

(Oh, and if anyone actually wants the SPG AMEX, send me a direct message and I can refer you.)

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Being of a devious mindset I can see one reason not to count transferred points. I currently have the nights but am about 600,000pts away from Lifetime Silver. If transferred points counted, I could take the 25,000 bonus points from the credit card and transfer them back and forth 24 times and get my status quite easily.

rle Gold

Whereas I agree with you, @7 I am curious about whether or not there is a way to track where the points are coming from.  I guess that is my assumption: that MR and SPG know how many points you have in each account. If you have earned points in one account and transfer them to the other, they should count.  I suppose if there is no way of knowing or tracking where your points are coming from or how many points you are transferring to/from SPG/MR, then I can see the issue.  It just seems like the earned SPG points should count in this regard since eventually, the programs are going to merge together and then you will lose the ability to transfer to and from but also, if they just add those points into the one existing account, that means that they will never count towards lifetime status.  I just feel like that is something that needs to be looked into. 

I wouldn't expect it to count if I were gifted miles from another account or if I transferred my Ultimate Rewards points to my account or something like that.  Obviously, that is different.  The SPG points, however, should count; I think...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...