7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2016 8:55 AM by seatexan RSS

Beacons, Loyalty, and Starwood....

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Fascinating article for the Marriott community: Marriott Bringing Beacons To 500 Hotels By The End Of 2016 |

• Beacons
  • Starwood
  • Loyalty, and
  • even Pokemon

By the way, does anyone have any experience with Beacons?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Beacons, Loyalty, and Starwood....
    erc Platinum

Great stuff ssindc and coming just when I had finally mastered gmail, I'm all set.

BigThom is right when he talks about loyalty is outdated and it's Marriott's loyalty to us that's the current trend, and who better than the industry leader Marriott. I believe us Insiders are well positioned to ride the wave.

I've had some beacon experience with restaurants and coffee shops and I'm all for it. The key; just like Groupon, Travelzoo, Goldstar etc - don't buy what you don't want just because it's 20% off.

It's a brave new world baby, and I'm ready - bring it on Big Thom! I'm studying my Guy Kawasaki handbook just to keep up.

Off to Scottsdale where I won't be able to respond being that I don't have a laptop, I-pad, or phone with internet with enough power to write - but I'll be thinking of everyone. Go man, go.

PS - perhaps you ssindc should have a personal beacon. I told everyone in Houston at the Insiders Tipple how we were 0 for 3 in connecting; National Building Museum, Mayflower, and your hometown dive Chasin' Tails in Arlington, Va. where I kept calling out to every male over 20, "ssindc, ssindc, ssindc" to no avail. I was getting worried I would get arrested for being a skinhead recruiter!

Keep on keepin' on Insiders, it's all good and a great day to be alive.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

At the Insiders meeting in Houston, Thom discussed this and some other things that will contribute to more personalized experiences for Marriott guests.  I have to say though, when Thom keeps saying that the concept of customer loyalty, along with points based loyalty programs are outdated, it concerns me a bit. As in, don't mess with our loyalty program. We like our points, we like to earn and burn them on free nights and free stays and we like our status bennies. Don't change them (unless you add more to reward your very best customers) and certainly, don't take them away!!!  I opine that the concept is still working just fine!  Unless there's a worry that the current model will become saturated, watered down, unsustainable, in which case, maybe we're being primed for the next paradigm shift in the future of hospitality.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks for posting this article, ssindc, very thought provoking.  Love the Pokemon reference, which my Grandkids are obsessed with.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I enjoyed reading this article and I also share the concerns about 'loyalty' and how it is viewed going forward. I do feel that the hotel business has to be proactive towards us to keep their best customers coming back. At the same time they also need to attract a newer (spelled millennial) customer base to keep the rack filling activity on the increase. But, that being said they could also go the way of the airlines in offering less incentives for that loyalty. In fact the airlines today offer next to nothing.

Want a seat upgrade from the airlines? Forget it unless you pay for it. I noticed this when as a Platinum for USAir/AA I never got upgrades (except for the east coast) after the merger with US Scare. Most visitors get into air lounges now with credit card access not as a member rewarded for loyalty. Hopefully big Thom won't forget us loyalists who have supported the Marriott way over the years and have certain expectations based on their promises to us.

I'm sure the airlines don't care, but I will have no status with any airline at the end of this year. During this current year I have decided to book first class if I want to fly it....and with the airline that gives me the best route and price. I'm not 'hoping' for upgrades any more. No more extra stops for me while flying because I wanted to maintain my status to get the perks. They're gone with all the mergers.

I hope Marriott doesn't go the same type of route as the airlines by putting more of this 'destination charge' stuff and cutting back on perks for us and finding ways to charge us for the things they've promised us for our loyalty. If they do, I'll be booking hotels that offer me the best bang for the buck for what I want out of the trip I'm making.....

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

same with me on AA . I am lifetime platinum with currently 2.9m miles and never get upgraded so many times I fly Sw . At least their staff is happy

seatexan Platinum

Beacons: Everything you need to know. – Pointr Blog

I saw this beacon thing on twitter and asked for more info.  I don't know a thing about them.  They didn't exactly give me the info I needed, but then again, "Hey! where can I get more info on beacons" might have been vague... They sent me the link above and one for a stadium.  I wanted from the ground up info....

So I went and found the link above which was very helpful. Now I am thinking I should buy a beacon for my house...and have it send fun things to my guest! Hah or put one in my office for when someone walks in. These things are super cool. Estimote Beacons — real world context for your apps

I keep my Bluetooth off unless I need to find my keys! Tile App! I also keep location and wifi off unless I needed it. Saves battery life.  Next time I am at a Marriott, I'll leave my BT on ans see what happens .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...