6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2016 10:49 PM by hoops777 RSS

Massive Marriott Platinum Devaluation with SPG Merger Match

mroseman13 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

The Marriott Elite program was massively devalued when they announced the match-ups with SPG status. I've stayed 75+ nights at Marriott last year (and many other years prior), and now this same status is given away to any SPGer who could have stayed as few as 25 nights! Marriott Platinums don't even get the benefits of a 75 night SPG Platinum nor the benefits from staying 50 nights.

This is quite a terrible devaluation to the Marriott Elite program and I'm disappointed in Marriott for saying that their elites matter less.

Also, why would anyone stay a single night at a Marriott property to earn elite status next year? I can stay 1/3 the number of nights at SPG and be given the exact same status and more benefits.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Massive Marriott Platinum Devaluation with SPG Merger Match
    hoops777 Gold

One could say the Starwood program will be massively devalued in the end when both become one.Starpoints are valued about 3 times or more than Marriott points and that will end in 2018.

I do not see the big deal about the gold and platinum levels not being equal.I am a spg gold that is now a Marriott gold and what are all the fantastic benefits I get?Not so much.I would much rather have the point redemption values that spg has which really gets you a ton more of free nights.I have already transferred more than half because I do not want to get really devalued if the 3-1 gets changed.

When the merger first became news all the spg people were very unhappy because of the difference in point value.There are always 2 sides to every coin.

From where I stand as someone who had 1.8M Starpoints,,I think they are trying to be fair to both sides and doing a good job.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mroseman13 Platinum

The word "points" is never used in my post because I'm not discussing points here, just status. Folks stayed over 50 nights to earn Marriott Gold Status while you could've stayed only 10 nights at SPG to be given the same status. Doesn't seem too fair to me

seatexan Platinum

In the next year or two.... it will even out.  Right now yeah, I see your point, but in the long run when SPG goes away, SPG members will have to up their game and stay more, or not hit the marks they once had. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

so ten nights at Starwood gets one into the lounges at Marriott. Maybe they will need to get reservations t get into the lounge

notorious-5150 Platinum

This is a repost in another thread - but here is my 2 cents

I understand it is not a perfect apple to apple comparison - but I think they should have went this route - since SPG has 3 tiers of Platinum

SPG Preferred Plus (0 Stays) matches to Marriott Rewards Member (0 Stays)

SPG Gold (25 Nights) Closely Matches to Marriott Rewards Silver (10 Nights)

SPG Platinum (50 Nights) matches to Marriott Gold (50 Nights)

SPG Platinum (75 Nights) Matches to Marriott Platinum (75 Nights)

SPG Platinum (100 Nights) closely matches to Marriott Platinum (75 Nights)

The Marriott Visa Card gives you 1 free night, 15 Elite Credits and 1 Elite credit for every $3,000.00 spent

SPG Amex gives 2 free nights, 5 nights and 2 stays towards Elite Status

So it is easier to rack up elite nights with Marriott - I still think they could have segmented this a bit better...   Also - I would like someone from Marriott to clarify if we get access to SPG Ambassador Service?

hoops777 Gold

I guess I am just not that hung up on the status.To be honest their are a lot of 79 dollar a night chains that give you a free breakfast.Maybe the lounge is something great that I am underestimating.Anyway,life is not always perfect or fair,and like I said spg owners are getting hit on the point side,so maybe throwing them a bone with easier gold status is not so horrific.It is not like they are taking away your gold status or making it harder for you to earn it.Maybe a few lounges will be more crowded but in the greater scheme of things,not such a big deal 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...