13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2016 5:29 PM by jerryl RSS

Keyless Entry

rle Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am a loyal Marriott Rewards member and only began exploring SPG upon hearing about the pending merger. Now that the merger is official, one feature I have noticed about the SPG app that would be a significant improvement for the Marriott app is the Kelyess Room feature. SPG let's you use the app on your phone to unlock your hotel room door! As someone who never has room in his wallet for a hotel key card, this would be an amazing addition. So, does we know if Marriott plans on adopting this ability?  And if not, Is Marriott listening and taking note?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Keyless Entry
    Jsucool76 Gold

This is something Thom mentioned to us last weekend at TIPPLE.

Marriott, if they are to introduce this, wants it to work at every hotel (or at least a bulk of them) right from the start, rather than slowly adding more and more to the program. He explained that even in a single hotel, there can easily be 3-5 different types of door locks, so it takes time to get them all programmed correctly to work with cell phones, if those door locks can even support it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rle Gold

Thanks!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Explained just about verbatim Jsucool76!!!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Awesome insight, Jsucool76!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

SO the Marriott at Long Wharf in Boston has this offering of keyless entry. It works flawlessly at the fake door handle by the FD, but the door to the room and the CL, never worked for me (iphone), had FD come up, they shrugged and said its been spotty, the Bellman tried, he said it works 25% of the time. Typical Marriott IT fix. Touted, sold, hyped and then disappointment. While not a make or break for my trip there 2 weeks ago, it was oversold and underdelivered.

And yes, the FD knew, I reported it to them

Its the old saying, don't wish for it, you might get it (and then be, as in the case of this Marriott), disappointed.

Hope we don't have this "feature" rolled out more widely and then have even more guests be dissatisfied.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

IT is very difficult when any company grows thru acquistion to standarize with things like this . Marriott maybe working on a feature that would make it easier to at least get a key and even a replacement. But I suspect keyless entry will take mor time . 

Jsucool76 Gold

This hotel is probably one of the few testing grounds for the program. It is expected to have problems. I agree though, that it should be advertised as a testing program rather than a full fledged feature.

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

I joined SPG some time back when the purchase was announced and tried the SPG keyless feature at a stay at an Aloft.  It never did work there either!  At least it was during a promotion to try it they were having so I got 2,500 Starpoints for my effort (or, rather, should I say I got 7,500 MR points and didn't know it at the time?!).

i<3aworkout Platinum 2 Reviews

Another comment is that if Marriott changes to keyless entry, it be available for use by all guests of the room.  I have only had past experience at another hotel chain and 2 things happen:

1) my smart phone is the only one that can use keyless access

2) required me to go to the front desk (avoiding this is the reason I used keyless to begin with) to request a cardkey for other guests staying with me (this voids the purpose AND upon getting cardkey for my guest, then MY keyless entry on my smart phone stopped working) forcing ANOTHER trip to the front desk to just give  up and use cardkeys.

Totally frustrated me.  Not staying at that brand any more than I have to nor using keyless (or suffice it to say, recognize I must visit the front desk and possibly stand in line).

Marriott, please fully test all possible guest options, while still ensuring our security.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi RLE,

We have shared your comment on keyless entry to our Development Team for consideration. While Marriott and Starwood are officially operating as one company, it will take some time to integrate our operations, and we do not have additional information on changes that may occur within hotels in the future. We appreciate your patience during this transition period.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I always have room in a pocket for a plastic key card but very often leave my phone in the room.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great point mikiegfla.  When staying alone I'd have my phone with me, but when staying with my Wife I'd leave it in the room as she always has hers yet it would be mine that had the key on it.  Cargo shorts are the best to keep your plastic room key so I'd opt for that about every time.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

also remember the phone can cause the room key to de activate . it has happened many times to me when I keep the phone and key in same pocket

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...