6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2016 10:56 PM by jacktwirll RSS

Newbie needs help to understand reward level status

starryeyedwonder Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

This is my first day looking at insiders.

I have not made good use of my status.

I started out with silver elite 3 years ago.

A few months back I was given gold elite status.  I do not know why.

Q1  Also the nights earned and the nights credit with 2 different numbers are confusing.  Would you tell me what they mean?

Q2.  I do not want to lose Gold status  (I have been looking at the previous posts re this)

I did receive an email that I have to stay 20 nights before Dec 31 to keep Gold.

I do not think that I can do this..

Q3  is there some relationship between $ charged on rewards card and earning credit for status?

Q4  explain the challenge again please.

Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lake Arrowhead, California, USA Autograph Collection Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Newbie needs help to understand reward level status
    bacon14 Platinum

Welcome!  You need 50 nights a year to get/maintain Gold status.  You can get night credits from either a physical hotel stay or if you have the Marriott Chase credit card you will get a night credit for every 3k you spend.  If you have the credit card you will also get an additional 15 night credits on your cc anniversary each year.  When you log into your Marriott account you can see how many night credits you have for the year and the break out for hotel stays vs credit card.  I find that many times when I receive an email the night credit/data is out of date so checking your actual account is the best way to know for sure.

Tagging in moderator to explain the challenge.

carat

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Welcome to Insiders, starryeyedwonder! So glad to have you join our community and to see you're jumping in with some great questions! I think you'll find pretty quickly that the members on this site really know their stuff when it comes to Marriott Rewards and travel, and are great resources when you're looking for tips, recommendations, stories and ideas. You can also always reach out carat, deannad, AndrewT, or myself if  you need help or have questions. We make up the moderation team for the site and are always happy to assist!

I'm going to look into your questions and will get back to you once I've got all the answers. Do you mind sending me a private message with your Rewards number? This will help in getting you some more direct answers.

Thanks for posting!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've had this a few years ago, for me it was 18 nights in 3 months to retain Plat. Unlike challenges which you ask for these unsolicited promotions are to encourage you to try and reach the target so you get the status during the promo and if you make the nights get to keep the status for the following year too. If you don't make the nights by the end of the year the status lapses.

If you have the Chase Marriott credit card I think every $3000 spent adds a night to your score, but those nights DONT count for promotions such as this.

Gold is is where the meat is on Marriott for the full service member, with upgrades, lounge access and free breakfasts but it doesnt mean that much at the select serve brands such as Courtyards and Fairfield Inns.

Hope this helps and welcome to Insiders

Jsucool76 Gold

Definitely, if you don't have it, get the marriott credit card as bacon14 said. 15 nights means you only need 5 more to fill in, and you'll get an additional elite night with every 3k you spend on the card.

2 other options on top of that. The amex plat will give you SPG gold, which you can then link to marriott for marriott gold status. (will also give hilton gold)

Ritz carlton card from chase will give you marriott gold automatically for the first year, and then every year thereafter for 10k card spend. You can then match this to SPG gold.

Between the amex plat and the ritz card, depends if you want a card that earns Marriott points, or transferable membership rewards points. Fees are the same. Signup bonus is definitely stronger on the ritz card.

mustanggt Platinum

Make sure you have your birthday noted in your personal profile on the Marriott site.  If you do, Marriott gives you one elite night credit every year on your birthday.  Also if you have some points built up in your Rewards account you can use those points toward a free night stay.  Although you won't earn any additional points during your free night stay, Marriott will give you an elite night credit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...