12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2016 8:51 AM by seatexan RSS

Usefulness of Gold Status?

windycity1255 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

Is it true that Gold benefits at lower end brands (Fairfield, Springhill, Residence, etc.) are relatively limited because all rooms are essentially the same size and the hotel offers free breakfast to all anyways?

With no benefits at Courtyard and many premium brands (Marriott, JW, etc.) typically overpriced, is there much of any benefit for the entire Gold status level?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Usefulness of Gold Status?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The main benefits of Gold are lounge access, free breakfast and room upgrades and hence mainly apply to full service properties since, as you've identified, there are no lounges outside full service brands and breakfast is free for all at most select serve brands and for no-one at Courtyard. Hence room upgrades are all that's left. All the select serve brands do have rooms beyond the basic but not that many so upgrades at Courtyards, Springhill and Fairfield Inns are rare. However Residence Inns start at studios and go on to one and two bedroomed suites. I've only stayed at RI twice but the first one I was upgraded from studio to a one bed suite, the second I wasn't upgraded, though my travelling companion on that day, and fellow plat, bejacob was - from a studio to a one bedroomed suite.

So, no, Gold doesn't go far outside the full service brands, but it does sometimes pull an upgrade and is most likely to at the long stay brands, Residence Inn and Towneplace Suites...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

brightlybob is right. Upgrades do happen at the lower end brands. My last three nights were CY, ResInn, and FFI. I got upgraded at all three. Rooms at the CY and FFI were a bit larger than the standard rooms with a separate sitting area and 2nd television. The difference was more noticeable at the ResInn where I got a 1-BR suite.

Lounge access is probably the most useful Gold benefit, though as you noted, it only available at the full service brands. Bargains can be found at such places, so I wouldn't assume most are overpriced. No doubt some are. Much depends on location and timing.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

When I was gold, I would on occasion get upgrades at RI and TPS.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Agree with bejacob that there are bargains to be found for full-service properties, depending on location and timing.  We did a $83 per night stay at Marriott Minneapolis Northwest recently.  It was actually cheaper than all of the nearby FFI, SHS, CY, RI, and TPS properties, and it was a good property.  I also get upgrades at the lower end properties once and awhile.  Got a huge suite at FFI Temecula, CA, for example.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Agreed clebert, and bejacob, the full service Marriott's don't have to be the priciest, nor does the Courtyard have to be cheapest. In fact on my last US visit my rates were:

Houston Autograph $190

Houston Courtyard $170

EWR Renaissance $160

Richmond Marriott $150

Harlingen Residence Inn $140

Corpus Christi Springhill Suites $120

Hamilton Residence Inn $120

Gettysburg Courtyard $90

Houston North Marriott $60

As can be seen the Courtyards were both the second most expensive and second cheapest.

But it was the full service Houston North Marriott that was cheapest by a long way! And it has a pretty good exec lounge too!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

PS - windycity1255, if you are in Chicago as your name implies, the JW on Adams occasionally runs fantastic weekend specials.  Gold elites get CL access or free breakfast if the CL is closed at that property, and it's a gorgeous hotel with wonderful service.  I've stayed there for $159 which is a super rate for a JW, and especially that particular JW.  During the week it often runs $399 or higher.

peymanagement Platinum

windycity1255, You could generally the same comment for platinum at the lower category hotels. The platinum welcome gift is generally limited there to a market item or a couple hundred points. I tend to get upgraded at Fairfield more, both when gold and silver. At Res, upgrades are seldom much of an advantage and springhills are all the same rooms. There is a higher points multiplier for each higher category. I tend not to stay at cy.

Full service is where you benefit. Sometimes there is a full service hotel for a few dollars more, and when I always take it.

seatexan Platinum

I stayed at a SpringHill in New Orleans and got a very nice note and key chain as gold.  I called them the night before and requested a quiet room and they gave me just that! oh a high floor (4th - high as it went ).

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

That's a very good point . I have alwas found that marriott(Ok usually) does offer that little extra to their gold and platinum

ppezzano Platinum

I also find the free upgraded internet a huge benefit. 

Also for cheap weekend stays the free internet and breakfast make full service properties as good or even better value.

carols Gold

I agree with bejacob - there are deals to be found at the higher end properties, particularly at non-peak times.  I've had a wide pendulum of experiences with room upgrades, from "wow!" to "really, this is an upgrade?"  For me, the lounge access is typically the most valuable perk.  I had an interesting experience with that this summer, though. The Metropolitan at the 9 (Autograph) in Cleveland has a "lounge," but they've labeled it as not being a concierge lounge. They offered me 750 points per day because they don't have a Gold/Platinum lounge (still waiting after multiple attempts for the customer service team at Marriott Rewards to properly credit those points, but that's another story); however, we could pay for an upgrade to a lounge level room and get access.  I surely hope that this is not going to be a trend with Marriott, as it would seriously reduce the value of Gold/Platinum status, at least for me. 

The other value of Gold status is the 25% point bonus for stays.  I've been able to accumulate points much faster that way and use them for free nights at properties overseas where the exchange rate is less favorable, particularly in London.  

seatexan Platinum
      we could pay for an upgrade to a lounge level room and get access.

YIKES!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...