11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2016 11:44 AM by darrbee RSS

Marriott Rewards BRG

darrbee Gold
Currently Being Moderated

This weekend I had to be in Orlando and booked a hotel using the Marriott website under member rates.  The hotel rate was $157.00 per night.  It was about 8:00 p.m..  The next morning I logged in to the Marriott site to verify the reservation and under member rates the price had decreased to $146.00 per night.  After seeing this I submitted a claim (and made a new reservation at the lower rate, as per BRG claim requirements) to Marriotts BRG (best rate guarantee).  They denied the claim saying the following:

Thank you for submitting a claim for Marriott's Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee. We received a claim from you for the Residence Inn Orlando Airport:

Confirmation number: 90049275

According to the Terms and Conditions of Marriott's Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee, the guarantee does not apply to rates that are not publicly available, such as negotiated corporate or group rates, or discount rates offered only to members of groups or individuals who meet previously-specified criteria, including AAA members, seniors, government employees, or Marriott Rewards members. Our records indicate that you were drawing a comparison to a qualified Marriott Rewards member offer.

For this reason, we must deny your claim under the terms of Marriott's Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee program.

I tried to explain to them that their member rate page directs you to the following page https://www.marriott.com/online-hotel-booking.mi which clearly states Best Rate All The Time and has as one of the benefits as Best Rate Guarantee along with other benefits.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Or am I reading this wrong?  I can’t find anything in the fine print but it could be hidden way down.  Thanks in advance for the help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards BRG
    seatexan Platinum

Maybe fistuk has some insight? He has an entire guide on this subject.

Re: Using the 'Look No Further' rate - All you need to know+Tips

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fistuk Platinum

Hi darrbee,

I'm not quite sure what was your booked rate... did you actually try to compare a Marriott rate with another Marriott rate?

From their response to you it seems you did, so in that case it won't make sense. You should find a lower rate outside the Marriott system and base your claim on that lower rate.

Also, bare in mind that booking Marriott member rates may not qualify for a claim as it's not available for the public, so you should book a standard rate.

I hope I understood correctly, but if not do feel free to provide me with more details.

And of course:

Do go through my guide in the link provided to you by our wonderful SeaTexan

darrbee Gold

Under member rates it states the price listed is the best rate and if you want more info it directs you to another page that indicates the Marriott member rate is part of the best rate guarantee.  Customer service is saying it is not part of BRG.  I am trying to find out which is correct.  Maybe carat who was so helpful last time could let me know which is correct.

It Pays to Book Direct™

Our lowest rates. All the time.

BOOK NOW

Marriott Rewards® Member Rates instantly reward you when you book direct on Marriott.com, the Marriott mobile app, through our call centers or select corporate travel professionals.

Our new member rate is the latest perk in a series of benefits like free Wi-Fi and mobile check-in, and earns you points at 4,200+ hotels worldwide, excluding hotels in Mainland China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan. See details

It pays to book on Marriott.com

Best Rate Guarantee

Best Rate Guarantee

Find a better rate? We’ll match + 25% off.

See details

Pay when you stay

Pay when you stay

Avoid upfront payments.

See details

Modify or cancel your reservation.

Change your mind

Modify or cancel your reservation.

See details

Your room, your way

Your room, your way

Request room extras when you book.

See details

Global destinations

Global destinations

4,200+ hotels. 87 countries and territories. 19 brands.

See details

It pays big time for Rewards members

fistuk Platinum

It seems you got confused a bit, darrbee.

Marriott members rates are indeed the lowest you can find in the Marriott system, but they have nothing to do with BRG.

They're also considered to be a special rate, as they're not available to the public, hence they do not qualify for submitting a claim.

darrbee Gold

But it turned out not to be the best rate.  The best rate was not published until the next morning.  Then when you click on details (on the member rate site) it comes up with the page above which clearly states that BRG is part of the member rates.  So you can see my confusion when BRG denied the claim which was initiated 10 hours after the initial reservation.  They advertise it as BRG but in the fine print you say it is not part of BRG.

fistuk Platinum

If your initial booked rate was decreased than you may cancel and rebook, but it still doesn't have anything to do with submitting a BRG claim. Again: the BRG is for lower rates found on other websites.

darrbee Gold

That is not true, I have booked and found lower rates within 24 hours on the marriott site and BRG honored the request.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi darrbee.  Thanks for tagging me in!  Would you mind sending me a direct message with your Rewards number and the details of your reservation.  That way, I'll be able to reach out to the LNF team to take a deeper look into this for you. Talk soon! 

peymanagement Platinum

Can you  not just cancel the higher reservation and re-book at the lower rate?

kathynfmom Gold 3 Reviews

I think if it is lower they will give you that rate and then a 20% discount ?Am I correct in this thinking?

darrbee Gold

That is what I thought also.  Considering that when you are booking the Marriott Rewards rate it states at the top of the page that that is Marriotts Best Rate.  If you click details besides the section that states it is Marriotts best rate it takes you to a page (see below) that says it is part of the best rate guarantee.  But from what everyone has said, somewhere in the fine print it excludes it.  So basically they are advertising on there web page that it includes the Best Rate Guarantee but excludes it in the fine print.  Personally they either need to honor what is stated (without me trying to read and understand 20 pages of fine print) or remove the advertising that states that the Marriott Rewards rate is part of the Best Rate Guarantee.

"Marriott Rewards® Member Rates instantly reward you when you book direct on Marriott.com, the Marriott mobile app, through our call centers or select corporate travel professionals.

Our new member rate is the latest perk in a series of benefits like free Wi-Fi and mobile check-in, and earns you points at 4,200+ hotels worldwide, excluding hotels in Mainland China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan."   * See details  

from the Marriott Reward Rate page brings up this:

It pays to book on Marriott.com

Best Rate Guarantee

Best Rate Guarantee

Find a better rate? We’ll match + 25% off.

As you can see it says it is part of the Best Rate Guarantee.  So I wish you were correct but the answer from everyone is NO, they do not honor Best Rate Guarantee even though they advertise it on their site.  I could go higher up and probably get the discount but it takes time that I don't want to spend.  I have actually used it twice before and been very pleased with the service and saved quite of bit of money on a London hotel.  I guess my main point here is that Marriott Rewards Member Rates are supposed to be the lowest you can get, this was the first time I found a lower rate, on the Marriott Rewards Member Rate site compared to the Marriott Rewards Member Rate.  So it was a direct comparison.   I don't even usually check anymore but I was trying to verify the reservation because it was within 24 hours of check in.  So now I will start checking the rates at all my reservations because it seems the advertised Member Rewards Rate is not always the lowest rate.  We are usually pretty partial to marriott, I am gold and my husband is silver, he has his own marriott charge card and I have my own marriott charge card.  If we actually combined the two we would probably be platinum by now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...