17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2016 10:02 AM by iahflyr RSS

Have Pens (and paper) Disappeared From Hotel Rooms?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Whoa ...  Help, I need a reality check ... Is it me, or have pens (or writing instruments of any kind) and paper disappeared from hotel rooms?  Did this happen when I wasn't watching?  Is this just another geezer expectation for "minimum standards" for lodgings that have gone the way of the dinosaur as hotel chains adapt to millennials' preferences?

Again - it may just be me - but I just checked into my third hotel in less than a week. (I know, I know, this kind of travel is not healthy.)  Two were Marriott properties - one domestic, one outside the U.S., and now I am at a relatively high end Hilton (not my choice, it's the conference hotel).

• All three rooms (in all three hotels) lacked writing instruments of any kind - no pen, no pencil, no crayon;
  • Two of the three also lacked paper - of any kind...
  • It feels like it happened overnight.

Fortunately, I'm carrying a pen with me, but now I sure hope I don't lose it.

So, let's hear it, frequent travelers: are you finding that hotels are no longer providing pens and paper in the rooms????  Does anyone else find this to be a hassle?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Have Pens (and paper) Disappeared From Hotel Rooms?
    Jsucool76 Gold

I find pens and notepads in most hotels I stay in. I also take them with me when I leave. That is probably where they all went.

I'm big on taking pens and paper. Heck, I took 5 JW pens from the cocktail reception at TIPPLE.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I have a small large huge collection of Marriott pens.  Sometimes, I'll purposely leave a Courtyard branded pen in a Springhill Suites...or a nice Marriott branded pen in a Residence Inn. 

seatexan Platinum

Well I did take note of pen and paper in my room for this past weekend at the JW Marriott Downtown.  They had pens all over.  Hmmm I didn't think to even take one! Dang it. Mail me one Jsucool76? ;D

It's a real scramble when on the phone and you are trying to find something to write with. What kind of Marriott? Where there desks?? ;D

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I got two pads of paper from the JW!!

mimi637 Silver

Spring Hill Suites still has them.  Green pens vs the regular red Marriott ones.  But, pads of paper?  I have only seen a few seats cobbled together not the regular pads of paper.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I have a ton of pens....I might even have a full set of Marriotts (a pen from each brand). These are collector items that I will certainly consider parting with for a sky high offer .......starting bid: 3 tacos, 1 burrito, and a tamale.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I spent 14 of the last 18 nights in Marriotts (and this kind of travel was indeed healthy ), 5 Marriott hotels across 4 Marriott brands (plus a couple of non-Marriotts) and they all had pen and paper (mea culpa, they were all in Europe save one). 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

ssindc, you are not imagining things.  I've noticed that the pads of paper have turned into one or two sheets, as several have noted.  And there used to be pens and paper on the desk and night stand, but those seem to be fast disappearing as well.  I guess desks are going away in certain properties which, for a business traveler like me, is a major disappointment.  But I am old, and apparently the young 'uns are all working down in the lobby, Starbucks, etc.  I prefer to work in my hotel room by myself in private.

Jsucool76 Gold

I've got to add that every time I've seen this thread, today, I misread the title, even though I KNOW what the thread is about.

I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what I always read it as, and then laugh about.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've yet to come across a room without a pen and at least a small pad of paper. Admittedly, some of those rooms didn't have pens after I left, but that's an entirely different subject. Some places still have pens and paper on the desk and the bedside table. Most just have one set on the desk.

The pads of paper have gotten smaller (number of sheets, not physical dimensions) everywhere, however I have not seen a complete disappearance of in-room pens and paper.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

In the UK, we still get a pen, but only a couple of bits of card.  Not a proper small pad.  I find it quite annoying and penny pinching.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

All is not lost!

Just checked in to the Renaissance Newark (EWR) airport hotel, and ... HOORAY ... there's a pen on my desk (and it's a fully functional work desk with a comfortable, adjustable office chair on wheels).  Sure, there's only a note card, rather than a pad of paper, but I can work around that...

seatexan Platinum

LOL hip hip hooray!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well I for one can rest better tonight knowing I won't have check my luggage in order to pack a pen or paper in my roll-a-board if staying at the EWR Ren!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...