6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2016 1:33 PM by iahflyr RSS

Hotel texting you

pilam76 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Recently, I had a first and I am wondering if this is new?

I checked into the springhill suites orlando / maitland and while driving to the hotel I received a text from the hotel welcoming me and wondering what time I was arriving. Then after checking in and in my room, the front desk, someone else but from the same number texted me to make sure I was ok and if I needed anything. I thought it was a nice touch though I could see how that would bother some people?

Anyone else ever receive texts from a hotel? Any thoughts?

_suites

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Orlando, Florida, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott
Orlando, Florida,
  • Re: Hotel texting you
    erc Platinum

I just got one at the JW Marriott Downtown Houston, while I was in the United lounge. I was a bit spooked (as in asking Big Brother back "what am I eating and where am I sitting?") in that I can't recall ever providing my cell phone number to virtually anyone, much less Marriott (as a tech troglodyte I barely know it myself).

Oh well, welcome to the new world, I guess. Megadata rules!

ps - when they asked if I needed anything, I told them to light up the helipad, but I never heard back

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pilam76 Platinum

I assume they get your phone number from your profile.

erc Platinum

That was my reluctant conclusion, but I was almost certain I had provided my wife's number who serves as my tech translator (GPS, Uber, HotelTonight, UA app etc etc) when we travel.

Oh well, Big Thom Kozik, head of Global Loyalty and David R. Roberts Head of Customer Insights, (formerly head of Revenue Optimization) are both three initial boys from DC (NSA and SDI). If I've learned anything from being a DC native, it's that those fellas are clever dudes (Kozik is a highly successful tech start up entrepreneur and Roberts did his thesis on Black-Scholes derivatives equation) and know a lot of stuff!

Netflix was able to commit $100 million to House of Cards (as opposed to the networks who were nervous about sinking $5m for a pilot) due to their extensive data base of their 30 million+ customers' interests and of course the megadata granddaddy of them all, Amazon used books as a way to take over the world as it comes to retail economics...but I digress - ha!

Marriott Rewards is coming out with new travel programs (actually mutually beneficial regarding our interests) that will gather even more info, so here we go.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What the heck is this term "text" anyway?  Is it something that Marriott developed on their own as it is a completely new word for me?

erc the helipad always has it's lights on for you my friend!!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I recently stayed at the SHS in North Canton, OH.  I did a mobile check-in, and shortly after, the front desk called asking if there was anything I would like for them to do pre-arrival. 

Jsucool76 Gold

I got one from the JW Houston Downtown during TIPPLE when I was flying in.

erc Your cell phone # is likely in your marriott account, and is part of the information the hotel receives when you make a reservation.

I think it is a good idea. Actually something I spoke to Thom Kozik about during TIPPLE. I spoke with him about possibly using a spoofed number that would lead back to marriott, but unfortunately there isn't a way for the hotels to do that since they're all different. They could all text us from the same number, but we wouldn't be able to respond directly to the hotel. They would then all need to be sorted based on where we're staying. I'm sure there is some kind of complicated algorithm that someone could come up with, where they could run our cell # through it, and then track down current reservations holding our phone #, and then direct the messages to the correct hotels.

Better idea is for all of the hotels to utilize the "requests" portion of the Marriott app, and message upcoming guests through the marriott app. Seems less intrusive, and allows us to know the message is coming from the hotel, as well as possibly introduces members to the chat function, as i'm sure there are plenty of people who aren't aware of it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...