25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2016 8:04 PM by clebert RSS

Do you own a Marriott Timeshare? Like the new point system?  

Econfkids Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I Have owned at Marriott Desert Springs Timeshares for 20 years. I am interested to hear what others think of the point system ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do you own a Marriott Timeshare? Like the new point system?  
    curiousone Platinum

I love it! I owned weeks when the new program was announced and enrolled them immediately. I like being able to schedule stays from 1 day and up, on any day of the week. I also like paying one annual fee and not getting nickel/dimed on every transaction. I can still use my weeks as weeks, if I should want to, but can't imagine why I would. Since I am still working I convert most of my weeks into MR points to do 2 - 3 day weekends at Marriott hotels. I also do a Travel Package in Jan, every other year with Southwest, so my wife can fly free for 2 years. Somewhere along the line we purchased points in the new program. When we finally retire we should be able to spend the summer out of the Phoenix heat, using our time shares. For me it is all about the flexibility and choices that I have.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Econfkids

I would echo curiousone that we also are pleased with the point system and its flexibility.  We bought into the points timeshare, Marriott Vacation Club, about six years ago and have increased our number of points over the years.  While the Marriott Destination (points) program is great, their sales tactics are terrible and have been discussed on this site extensively.  We were lucky to have met an Associate Sales Person that was a straight-shooter and professional.  She made the experience an enjoyable one and we have been very satisfied with our stays which have ranged from one-night to one-week.    

mckenziedc Platinum

Just bought on the point system a year ago and we love it as well.  It's been great to have a night here or a couple of nights there.  We recently stayed at Desert Springs and sat through the pitch again.  However, there is a new GM at that facility that really believes in educating owners about their points.  The "pitch" was more about learning how to maximize your points w/ the soft sell on "can we sell you more?".  I'd suggest attending one and learning more.  This year with our 2K points I've managed to squeeze almost 2 weeks of stays by working the system.

natural_log Platinum

My issue with the points system (which is a major reason I won't purchase) is that the points are treated like currency except Mr. Marriott controls the exchange rate.  Perhaps there is something in the fine print that the cost of a stay cannot ever change over time but it was never obvious to me when I sat through the presentation.  The cost of a night for Marriot Rewards Points keeps increasing (and I understand why).  Does the cost of a night for vacation points increase or is it guaranteed to stay the same?

cjmarriott Silver 1 Reviews

Econfkids,

You must have been listening to my recent conversations with family and friends.  Recently, we did the tour at Myrtle Beach (one of my favorite places) and I was impressed, but my family was not.  We didn't purchase into it.  I would really like to hear the pros and cons from MVC members.  Sometimes people will only share the pros because they don't want to be a sour pickle.  I know the 'good' and I have to say it sounds like there are  lots of good features and benefits with MVC, but I am interested in hearing the not so good, too.  Please share both sides.

Bundad9 Platinum

We have owned 2 weeks, 2 br units at Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert, Ca for over 10 years. We chose to keep it as a traditional timeshare for a couple of reasons. First, I didn't want to pay anymore than what I had paid already (Approx $30k for both units plus annual maintenance fees) Second, we've always had great luck in being able to trade it wherever and whenever we want to. I book my weeks based on the most desirable weeks within my season-Gold. Then deposit it at Interval, request for the resort I want. Done! Marriott and non-Marriott properties alike. We've stayed at Marriott Koolina, Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Aruba Ocean Club Etc. Most of the stays were in August because of the kids school and sport activities. If we owned in Hawaii maybe I would feel different, but since ours is in Palm Desert, I think we're getting the most of what we paid. If we want to stay somewhere for a couple of days, I use my Marriott Rewards points.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

We own two weeks and did not convert.  If we had, the number of points we would have gotten would not have been enough to cover staying a week at our ownership location, ergo we would have lost value.  And as others have said, you'll find the value of your points declining over time, whereas I don't think MVCI can redefine what a week is (unless they talk with Bill Clinton, of course).

Plus, I have lots of rewards points if I just want a couple of nights.  A week is the minimum time I want if I do any distance travel for time off.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Econfkids, as a member of the timeshare community since way way back when Desert Springs was first born, I am disappointed with the conversion program because I lost value with the points exchange program. I owned multiple weeks with Marriott but have since jettisoned (sold) all but my Desert Springs week. I was originally sold on a program that allowed me to exchange my week evenly for another week anywhere in the Marriott timeshare system. Then they changed the rules and created the points based system that basically requires me to trade 2 weeks to get 1 somewhere else. So, I feel like I got screwed. So, I sold all my weeks and now only use my Desert Springs week at Desert Springs every year. I enjoy going there and when I don't I'll jettison that one too. I'll have nothing further to do with the Marriott timeshare makeup that turned my good faith purchases into a ripoff. Loyalty was not two sided with the timeshare program when they scorched my loyalty to them. So, all I can say is 'if they did it once.....' buyer beware.

I'm sure newbies in the program who bought after the Destination Points system began see value but those original buyers got the short stick when points based trading was born.

Anyway, that's my two cents (only worth one cent after points began).

superchief1 Platinum

I bought my first MVC timeshare at Royal Palms in Orlando in the late 80's. Since then, I added weeks at Newport Coast, Singer Island (week in each resort), and EOY in Park City and Phoenix. I enrolled all in the Points program in addition to purchasing an additional 1500 Trust points, and am now Chairman level. Since many of my weeks are Gold, my point values vary in value.

Although I was skeptical of the program initially, I have learned how to use it effectively to my benefit and appreciate the flexibility. MVC ownership has changed dramatically since I purchased my weeks, as have many other things in life and the travel industry. Overall, points provide me the best alternative. These are my reasons:

• Exchanging my week through Interval has become more difficult and costly. I previously locked out my Canyon Villas, Ocean point, and Mountainside weeks so I basically got 2 weeks for the price of one. This is no longer an option because II has more limited availability, makes it more difficult to upgrade from studio/ 1BR to larger unit (and now charges extra to do so), and forbids rentals of Exchange weeks (even if only to cover MF's.).I seldom use Interval exchanges any more.
    • The value of converting to 110K MR points has dramatically declined while my maintenance fees for the week continue to increase.  When I bought my weeks, my 110k points got me 7 nights at any resort worldwide, 2 round trip airline tickets, and free 7 day rental with Hertz. It now gets me 5 nights at a Courtyard. Therefore converting my week to MR points makes no sense.
    • With VC points, I can get a great value for my points by traveling off season, use a smaller unit size when I only need 1BR, and have shorter stays. Since we no longer travel with our children, we can save points or upgrade view by using only a 1BR. There are some great values in off season. I can spend a month in Hilton Head in jan-Feb for 1 week of points for one of my resorts. This will be very useful after I retire and want to get away from winters in Ohio. My points can also be carried over for two additional years, which provides me much greater flexibility.
    • Another advantage of MVC timeshares in general is that a majority of the resorts have free parking, no resort fees or taxes (we pay property taxes as part of our maintenance fees). The cost for a week at a 2BR condo with kitchen is lower than most Marriott resorts or hotels.

I originally purchased my timeshares as an alternative to vacation properties and have always planned to use them more when I had more vacation (never happened due to job changes) and retirement. Although I am worried about the continued increase in annual maintenance fees (especially with less owner control over the resort Boards), I think the points program is a great improvement. However, I purchased my weeks when costs were more reasonable, and I find the cost to purchase points today to be too high. VC Points are relatively easy to rent at about .50-.55 per point, so I recommend renting rather than buying.

superchief1 Platinum

I noticed that many insiders are MVC owners. Perhaps the next Tipple be held at an MVC location. Singer Island would be a great spot in Oct-Nov. There is a nice Marriott resort and 2 MVC timeshares, and this is the off season. Beaches are still great.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

I became an MVC "points" owner in 2010 and have generally been satisfied with the program.  We have used our yearly points allotment at the Ko Olina property on Oahu and have never had a problem booking a week in October (off-season). The yearly maintenance fee increase of $100+ is bothersome to say the least.  Recently I noticed that the number of points needed was increased at Ko Olina (one bedroom, mountain view) by 250 points for one week in October.  I was under the impression that the number of points needed was more or less written in stone.  Obviously, I was mistaken.  I initiated an online chat session to attempt to determine if this was a mistake.  It appears that "points" are adjustable.  I will attempt to move up the chain to obtain a definitive answer.  However, I find this disturbing as its conceivable that "points" owners might be subject to a double whammy of the ever increasing maintenance fees and an upward points creep.  Ouch!

christianas Platinum 2 Reviews

I am curious what you find out, if anything concrete, about the points required to book a stay are set in stone or not.  I have been explicitly told multiple times by different people at MVC that they are.  It was explained to me that the way the extra cost (or "creep" as you put it) is offset by the cost of points going up every so often.

We JUST bought into the points program, and one of the key reasons was that points needed per night at each resort was set in stone.  If this is not the case, I am going to be *very* upset.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

christianas

I do not yet have a definitive answer.  The MVC representative that I talked to mentioned "points readjustments".  I was under the impression that the points to book a MVC property were static.  I will be at the Ko Olina property in the middle of October and I plan to make an appointment with an MVC representative other than a salesperson during my stay in an attempt to find what the policy on points actually entails.  The "points creep" that I found was on the Ko Olina points chart for 2017.  The number of points needed to book a one bedroom mountain facing unit during low season (October) in 2017 was increased by 250 points over 2016.   I was originally told that the points did not increase at Ko Olina; however, the representative back tracked after the charts were checked.  Evidently, a number of MVC properties experienced an increase in points needed to book a stay.  Upon my return, I will update my post with any information that I am able to obtain.    

christianas Platinum 2 Reviews

I think I may have the answer.  I was reading all the Terms and Conditions of ownership.  This is from section III B 3 of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program Exchange Procedures:

"The Exchange Points necessary to reserve a Use Period are identified on the Exchange Point Schedule. Exchange Company will review the Exchange Point Schedule at least annually and amend the Exchange Point Schedule as necessary to maintain an equitable distribution of the usage requirements based on various factors such as relative daily and seasonal demand, Accommodation capacity, size, view, and furnishings, and other valuation parameters established by Exchange Company or as might be required by law. Any such modification to the Exchange Point Schedule shall not require approval by the Program Members or amendment of these Exchange Procedures. Exchange Company may also temporarily discount the number of Exchange Points otherwise required on the Exchange Point Schedule from time to time to reduce the number of Exchange Points required to reserve specific Use Periods at specific Accommodations in the event Exchange Company deems such discounts beneficial to the Program. Such temporary adjustments of the Exchange Point Schedule shall not require an increase in the number of Exchange Points required to reserve other Use Periods within the Program."

flyingsouth Platinum

My eyes started crossing after trying to read the T&C above   , but I may have a simplified answer.  The total MVC points for a calendar year don't change, but they may be redistributed amongst the different season's or specific weeks like Christmas.  So some years points for a gold season may go up or down, but it is balanced by decrease/increase some other time period.  At least, that is my understanding....

superchief1 Platinum

Based on what I've read on TUG, the total points required for a week in a 2BR unit must remain constant. However, the allocation for individual days (weekends) and lockoff units (1BR and Studio) for that week can be adjusted. It appears that some weekend days are being charge more points, but the week nights for the same resort were reduced. Similarly, the point requirements for some 1BR weeks(including Ko Olina) were increased, but there was a corresponding decrease for the studio units.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

flyingsouth and christianas

It appears that you have both have answered the question.  Interesting that the MVC powers that be can readjust points, but not increase the total.  Tricky, but it appears within the terms and conditions.  I will still attempt to talk to a non-sales representative in October.  Thanks for the info.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Econfkids, we like our points.  We don't view timeshares as an investment - just as a way to ensure that we do a really great vacation at least once a year.  I think the people that view them as an investment are the ones who tend to be disappointed.  We love the units with the kitchens, washer/dryer, etc.  We've used points at:  Ko Olina, Aruba Surf Club, St. Kitts Beach Club, BeachPlace Towers, Crystal Shores, Sabal Palms and Royal Palms so far, along with Renaissance Hong Kong (using MVCI points at a traditional hotel).  We appreciate the flexibility, and every year there seem to be more MVCI properties and more options to use at traditional hotels, for packages, flights, etc.

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

My wife and I have owned weeks at Lake Tahoe since 2002 and joined the Destination Point program when it was offered to us in 2014.  Initiation fee was ~$700 and yearly due ~$300.  For these we're automatically enrolled at Interval International and no fee to exchange our weeks for Marriott Rewards point.  We've used the Destination points to stay at Marriott resorts in California, Hawaii and asia.  We've also used Destination points for tours and cruises.  We take advantage of our chairman level to get 30% off the points needed to book our stay 60 days or less ahead.  So what's not to like ( except of course the maintenance fee. )

Bundad9 Platinum

We were offered to convert when they began the points program years ago. I believe it was around $500 at the time plus around 500 extra bonus points. I weighed the pros and cons and decided to not go through with it. $300 annual on top of annual maintenance, plus the initiation was too much for me. I usually pay 5yrs in advance for my Interval membership, doing it this way brings my cost to about $50/year. Then, if I exchange my week to another Marriott property it cost me $129. This also gives me liberty to stay at non-Marriott properties too. We exchanged 1 of our weeks to a luxurious property in Riviera Maya, Mexico last summer. The 2br unit was huge and even had a plunge pool on our balcony. The resort rivals any MVC properties I've been to. I prefer to get one to one for my unit. If I switched mine to points, there's no way I can get a one week stay for a comparable unit in Hawaii, etc

But like in everything, to each is own...

notorious-5150 Platinum

I still own a week in Aruba (Location: Palm Beach | Season: Platinum | Floorplan: 2BR + 2BA | View: Garden View) - which converts to

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I also like the flexibility.  I had some extra points that would expire this year, and I couldn't bank them.  So I am using them for a hotel stay in Hong Kong.  It's not as good a value as redeeming for MVCI but it sure is convenient, and there is a lot to be said for that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...