11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2016 9:26 PM by zunilily46 RSS

China Approves - Marriott Starwood Merger a Go!

droma Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Haven't seen an official article yet, but twitter is blowing up, so I'm assuming this went through.  Now the real fun can begin!

Edit: Marriott Purchase of Starwood Gets Chinese Regulatory Approval - Bloomberg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: China Approves - Marriott Starwood Merger a Go!
    seachi Platinum

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

Exciting stuff. Can I use my Marriott points at St. Regis now?

:-) xD

seachi Platinum

I think we should have a sticky thread on the topic to address the impending storm of SPG/Marriott Rewards Program FAQ's.

seatexan Platinum

Woot! yeah! I got the e-mail this morning from Marriott.  You might have to wait a while Jsucool76, but I hope not too long! ;D

Is it the Amex Plat that give SPG status? or is it just Hilton Gold Stat w that card?

I wonder what will happen with all that!

Jsucool76 Gold

Currently spg gold and Hilton gold. A lot of people think they added hilton gold status because of the impending merger, figuring they'd have to give up spg status. Better to have your new partner before rather than after you need them.

seatexan Platinum

Wow people on FlyerTalk are so mad! And Sad... Seeing as those that actively post on here and on Flyertalk are a very small minority in the whole of those that are members of the rewards program,  I guess I am not too worried about a revolt. 

I am pretty excited and looking forward to new hotels... I mean, we did need more Marriotts in Nola ;D.  Now I can try the Westin or the W.

Jsucool76 Gold

Might've been you I was talking about it with in Houston (I don't remember who), but spg members don't like change. Like Thom said, they're the most loyal people in the world, and they can't stand the fact that the program they're used to is going to change.

You say one bad thing to an spg loyalist and they will rip your throat out. Just the way their members are.

seatexan Platinum

Hmm was not me...but I can see that.  I would be pretty upset if Marriott was bought out.  I love this program, so I can understand.  I don't think I would be so harsh though. 

Starwood just doesn't have the reach that Marriott does. It is a lot smaller and not everywhere I travel.  So if I were a SPG member, I would be pretty excited about the new places I could stay. 

Heh, I'll remember not to speak poorly about SPG to a member ;D  I like my throat!

droma Platinum

I'm ecstatic to try new hotels on all ends of the spectrum.  Sheraton is probably the one I care least about ever staying in, but am extremely excited for Westin (oh yes...heavenly bed), W, and St. Regis.  Aloft also has me intrigued, looks funky and interesting.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

People generally fear the unknown so the seller always has less leverage. In the end we will all have the same option stay with Marriott/ Starwood   go somewhere else. Given very little overlap in the reward members I suspect most will stay vs going to Hilton or somewhere else

zunilily46 Platinum

Looks like it is all a done deal on the morning of Sep 23rd. Just want to know when and if my Starwood nights will go to MR after that date! Was trying to book a trip to somewhere warm in December to a location that we have not been and had a hard time with Marriott. So NYC here we come!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...