14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2016 3:45 PM by pluto77 RSS

Surge (or Market) Pricing - Sky's the Limit?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In Minneapolis this week, staying at the downtown Courtyard [a brief report here: Morning in Minneapolis | Marriott Rewards® Insiders], a colleague told me that:

• he missed the deadline to get the conference rate at the hotel, and
  • he was a quoted a one-night rate of $3,000+ for the Courtyard, and when he called the Platinum line, they confirmed that was the rate for the remaining room(s) in the hotel.

To my mind, that's big money, generally, but that's extraordinarily high for a Courtyard not located in London, NYC, Paris, Tokyo or, well you get the idea. (Sure, I've seen $1,200 for the Manhattan/Times Square Residence Inn over New Years (and you can spend up to $4,500/night at the Ritz on the same night, but ... Minneapolis?)....

Which begs the question: what is the highest surge pricing rate you've ever seen quoted for a one night stay ... anywhere???

Some relevant threads on this topic:

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: Surge (or Market) Pricing - Sky's the Limit?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The highest night I've seen was at the Ritz Kapalua a few years ago and the rate for an Ocean View room was something like $1050/night.

I know you can check out a 2 BR Penthouse there and find it somewhere around $7200/night, but since most of us would find that rate to be within our budget it would appear normal.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

The Vice Presidential Suite (with concierge lounge access, 1 bedroom executive suite, east downtown view) at the J.W. Marriott Downtown Houston, TX is over $2000 a night for this week-end.  If you stayed Friday and Saturday night, the total would be $6549.66 which includes $951.66 in taxes and fees. 

I am very very happy with the rate we received for the Insiders gathering.  I do wonder if someone will be upgraded to this suite.

seatexan Platinum

Hmmm first class round trip to Europe for 2, or two nights at the JW downtown in swank suite?   Lol I can probably find 2 first classes for less!

I will just be happy to have a feather free bed!  I did call them this morning and the lady did note it.

seatexan Platinum

That is crazy! 3k for a courtyard!!!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have seen strange rate gyrations at times. I know I was looking at a hotel in Phoenix a couple of weeks before my staynand it was like 900 . Of course I wouldn't do that but waited a week and it was like 150. I suspect the computer algorithm for each location must generate this activity

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

$3,000 is price gouging gone mad. His best idea is to stay anywhere else and cab it in!

The priciest regular room I've seen was when I stayed at the Champs Elysees Marriott a couple of years ago, €600 per night was $800 - just for a regular room! Needless to say I redeemed points at 45,000 per night instead

This doesn't really count, and it's slightly off topic, but - as for what is commonly understood to be the most expensive "room" in the Marriott collection...

The Atlantis Bridge Suite goes for $25,000 per night, but I don't know if folks actually pay that...

"The Atlantis Bridge Suite has ... location, location, location. The Bridge Suite is located on top of a bridge that connects the two Royal Towers buildings, so it overlooks the entire resort and marina.

The ten-room suite is decorated in red, black and gold (lots of gold) and comes with its own butler, bar lounge and entertainment center as well as 12-foot ceilings. The master bedroom has a sitting area, his-and-hers closets, and hand-painted linens. The bathrooms have chaise lounges, marble baths, and dolphin fixtures. For those who are picky about their personal space, there are two separate master bathrooms. The kitchen also has its own entrance so the butler or cook never bothers you."

Book now - hurry, hurry:  The Atlantis Paradise Island, Bahamas Phone: (888) 528-7155 or (242) 363-3000 Fax: (242) 363-6300

seatexan Platinum

I Can't even imagine all that space!  Lol book now, hurry hurry! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

When doing flexible date searches, I have sometimes run across pricing at $9999.99/night.  I'm not sure what that means.  But also, when doing my resort explore at JW Venice, I was surprised and intrigued to notice that most of the La Residenza and La Maisonette Suites were occupied. I am pretty sure that these suites are not assigned as an upgrade (at this resort, as well as at the JW Cabo, these suites are well guarded, and are not doled out as an upgrade.  I had to work my wiles to get the upgrades that I received, and they were nothing like these.)  It served to remind me that there is a solid class of folks out there that have the means to plunk down significant amounts of cash for the best of the best. 

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Can you give more detail on the circumstances behind that rate? Was the hotel full because of your conference? What else was going? I just tried to book the same CY downtown for today (so, last minute) and it quotes me $175.

One of the reasons I was so surprised, @john_thai, was that my room was under $300 (and just over $300, including tax), and, frankly, the hotel didn't seem that crowded.  (And, no, my conference surely was not large enough to fill the hotel.....)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Can you give more detail on the circumstances behind that rate? Was the hotel full because of your conference? What else was going? I just tried to book the same CY downtown for today (so, last minute) and it quotes me $175.

Jsucool76 Gold

I wonder if the hotel is fully booked, so they just make the prices insane so that no one will book them as opposed to showing no availability. This is a common thing on (very different, I know) amazon and ebay listings. When people run out of items, rather than making a new listing when they get more in Stock, they'll just raise the price of their item to 10,000$

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I must be staying in the slums.  The highest rate I've ever been quoted for just a room was around  $500.

The highest that I ever paid was around $300.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...