5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2016 9:46 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Morning in Minneapolis

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just enjoyed a nice, brief (one night) stay in the Minneapolis downtown Courtyard.  I found much to recommend:

Minneapolis(2016).jpg

• Very nice location, particularly if you want to attend a game at US Bank stadium - might not be as close as it looks, but I'm assuming it's still walking distance.
  • Enthusiastic, high energy greeting at the front desk.
  • Placed/upgraded in(to) a splendid room - high floor, corner room, multiple gorgeous windows. (View includes mobile phone pic, above.)
  • Lots of my favorite creature comforts:
    • lots of outlets, all over the place
    • plentiful, diverse, attractive lighting options for all areas of the room
    • the rolling under desk (for your laptop computer) that you can use to make your desk an L or set up the desk looking out the window, etc.
    • in room coffee (single serve) machine
    • Bed - very comfortable
      • having said that, I remain flummoxed by the bedding.  I always feel like I've been "short-sheeted" at Courtyard, and I need to untuck the entire bed to enjoy the sheets/bedding.
    • Trendy, attractive, sliding glass shower door - slick design.

Over time, I've softened on my aversion to Courtyard, where your loyal Marriott status doesn't earn you a free breakfast.  Among other things:

• Much as I enjoy (OK, I really enjoy) a good Marriott or Renaissance breakfast, I find that I rarely bother to eat what's offered for breakfast at Residence Inn or Spring Hill Suites anyway....  In other words, if I don't want to eat it, I'm not impressed by a free breakfast.
  • City for city, I find that Courtyard offers very competitive rates, comfortable rooms and ... well ... value.
  • Granted I still find Courtyard's toiletries substandard - they surely aren't Aveda (or even Thann) - but I wouldn't chose a hotel on that alone....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown
  • Re: Morning in Minneapolis
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Nice write up, ssindc..Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Ya know, I've heard CY has remodeled some of their properties with nicer more friendly beds.  Might have to move back across the parking lot from the RI to the CY in Ft. Myers at Gulf Coast Town Center on my next trip in October!! 

Thanks for the posting ssindc and I think your recommendation of Tacos A Go Go | Houston Tacos just might get some late night biz from some TIPPLE attendees as it looks pretty yummy.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I find myself in CY a fair bit. Half the time, I don't stick around for breakfast no matter where I stay, so missing out on that isn't a big deal. The additional PAG points (over the other select service brands) are another perk.

As you note, the price can be quite competitive and the rooms comfortable. About 1 in 8 stays this year is at CY, down from my peak of 1 in 3 a few years back. Not my first brand choice, but one I still use often.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

You could walk from Courtyard to US Bank Stadium, but it's a bad walk through major intersections, over 35W, etc.  Doable if you don't mind crossing major intersections.  It's about .7 miles or so.  Better yet, you could take the light rail from West Bank U of MN stop to US Bank Stadium stop. 

Glad to know this CY is good.  I go to Minneapolis many, many times a year and have always avoided it as I don't like CY generally, but still nice to know it's one of the better ones.

My favorite Minneapolis Marriott property is the Hotel Minneapolis.  The JW is way out at Mall of America but also very nice and easy access on light rail to downtown from there.

Jsucool76 Gold

Picture really looks great. Happy to see you enjoyed the CY. They get a bad rap but I find them to be fairly consistent, and reasonably priced (for the most part).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...