9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2010 12:33 PM by roaddawg444 RSS

Am I getting greedy on points? Opinions wanted

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just found out about a promotion happening at the Fairfield - Milwaukee Airport, a property that I have stayed 12 times since the promotion began (and will have 3 more stays before it ends). In summary, the promo states: From October 4, 2009 - February 28, 2010,  earn an additional 3,000 Marriott Rewards points per stay when you include any night Sunday-Thursday. In addition, you'll receive a $10 credit to use in the Market for a snack or beverage. Fairfield Promotion

All my reservations were made by the Operations Manager on my behalf, so no promo codes were ever entered. Based on the promo, I should earn 45,000 points and $160 in market vouchers by the end of February. HOWEVER - - - -

Here's the rub - I negotiated an $85/night rate back in August (the property has lowered the rate from $134 in 08/2009 to $104 sometime in January).

While I have not yet asked the OM about this, I wanted other MR opinions to give me guidance on "how determined" I should be in asking for these points/vouchers or whether or not anyone feels I don't deserve them because of the discount.

BTW - I have scrutinized the promo and terms and conditions - I cannot find any wording that would restrict me from the points and vouchers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Am I getting greedy on points? Opinions wanted
    rainbowwill Platinum 2 Reviews

Would you offer to pay the regular rates in exchange for the extras?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

If you qualify for the promotion, what's the issue?  You don't appear to be looking for a way around the T&C.  What does Marriott say when you ask them the question?  Good luck!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I stay at hotels where my clients have a negotiated rate all the time.  I always get my promo points.

tjcnewyork Platinum

I understand the dilemma, but what does greed have to do with it?

The long term negotiated rate is a win-win for you, the client and FI.  The bonus points cost $37.50 at $12.50/1,000 points. The negotiated rate more than offsets the cost of the bonus points.  That said, try to establish whether or not the OM was aware of the promotion.

My hunch is that the cost to buy the points is even less for the FI.  As part of the cost of doing business, they might be willing to award you 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points per stay to thank you for your loyalty, retain your future business and avoid any possible complaint to corporate due to the OM's oversight.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"how determined"

By being overly determined, there's the risk of alienating the OM and making him/her look bad when that was the person who negotiated a favorable rate for you.  If the OM's learning curve is a factor, all the more reason to be open to their bonus offer.  I think your expectations will be exceeded.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I stay at hotels where my clients have a negotiated rate all the time.  I always get my promo points."

Good point, NewHiltonMember.  Just because your client has a negotiated rate; ultimately, you are the guest making the choice to stay with Marriott. The promo points provide an additional incentive to influence you to choose Marriott at a higher frequency than other brands.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I guess I'm getting a good enough deal on the discount despite no promotion points."

Congrats on a good deal.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

So essentially you don't qualify for the promotion.  Glad to see Marriott comply with their own T&C rather make exceptions for some.

roaddawg444 Platinum 2 Reviews

I would keep trying to score those points until they tell you its not going to happen. That promo was obviously part of the reason you were staying at that property. Whats the worst that can happen? They say no? I don't think you're being greedy. i thkn you deserve those points regardless of the rate you paid. Keep trying.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...