7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2016 2:48 PM by insertcoffee RSS

New York hotel rooftop beehives

trevfour Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just watched a very interesting program on terrestrial UK tv this evening.

A chap was interviewed on the 67th floor of a Marriott hotel where he has set up 2 beehives. The program did not name the hotel, but a little research suggests it may be the Residence Inn & Courtyard by Marriott New York.

Apparently the honey is packaged and given to hotel guests as a gift when available.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New York hotel rooftop beehives
    insertcoffee Platinum

Innovative Design. Sustainable Amenities.

• 212-324-3774

Green & Sustainable

Honey bees have become long-term guests at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park. Discover honey-sweetened hospitality as the urban hotel shares the buzz on the benefits of beekeeping and brags on its efforts to be environmentally and socially responsible.

Hive Hotels: Sustainability

An estimated one-third of our global food supply relies on the ecological services provided by honey bees. With the decline of these crucial pollinators, our food supply and ecosystem functions are at risk. Hive hotels play a significant role within cities by supporting the health and life of honey bees and have become active and contributing members of the community through a critical ecosystem service. The flying residents of Residence Inn live a staggering 723 feet above the ground on the 67th floor of the tallest hotel in the Western Hemisphere and occupy the highest hives knownto man. These little workers spread awareness about important environmental issues in the heart of the city. Through the fostering of this small beekeeping enterprises, the urban hotel demonstrates the prioritization of community careand responsibility.

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/nycpr-residence-inn-new-york-manhattan-central-park/design/1ijlilq/green-sustainable.mi

Here's a piece from CNN about hotels and beekeeping-- though the RI Central Park is not cited.

Why urban hotels are turning to beekeeping - CNN.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

trevfour Platinum

Thanks for adding detail insertcoffee. The chap has over 60 other hive locations in the city. He sells some honey at markets at $18 a jar, that's lower end Manuka price, so must be good quality.

insertcoffee Platinum

Honey has gotten really 'upmarket' now that it has gotten the 'healthier than white sugar' stamp.  But fresh honey can be stunningly good-- and expensive, too.

My folks used to mail me some special honeys they used to pick up on trips and so on, and it makes my mouth water to think of them.

There are actually several beekeepers associations in NY alone, something which surprised me to discover when I was finding the link in the other post.

I would definitely much rather have honey than Nutella, though I understand the fandom behind Nutella.

insertcoffee Platinum

BTW, trevfour, I don't think I thanked you for the original post and sharing that with us. Made for some nice ideas to add to the next trips, especially with carat's additional links.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Insiders!  We took a look to see if we could provide any more details about this. While I don't have much more information to give you then what is provided above, we were able to find out that the following two hotels also have bee hives on the roof tops:

Luxury Hotel in Denver | The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa | Boutique Hotel in Denver

Pictures of hotels in or near Chicago | Take a photo tour with Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

insertcoffee Platinum

Thanks carat. I've stayed at all of those properties and somehow have never seen the apiary at any of them. What a great program, especially with the bee issues we've had in recent years vis a vis population etc.

trevfour Platinum

Yes, many thanks carat for taking the time to add even more detail, much appreciated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...