14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2016 5:44 PM by monisame RSS

Renaissance New York Midtown

ppezzano Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Two questions

1) Anyone stayed in this hotel?  I'm looking at it for a birthday trip next summer.  How is it compared to other NY FS properties?  I tend to like Renaissance hotels and like the central location of Herald Square area for personal trips to NY.  I'm not a fan of Times Square.. too Disney

2) I cant book a reservation past June 30th online.  Other hotels seem to offer reservations in the time period I need.  Is this hotel reflagging or something?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: Renaissance New York Midtown
    libralady Silver

I am not a scholar, yet, on NYC and the layout, but I am working on it and getting better with every visit.  I am not sure if the hotel below is the one that you are referring to, I think not, however, I stayed at this hotel for my birthday last year and it was very nice.  I would go back in a heartbeat.  The hotel was nice, but the location is excellent.  I walked all over, to Broadway, Time Square, Fifth Ave, etc.  Walked just across the street to see the play "An American in Paris", which I enjoyed.  Since I last visited they completed an overlook/lounge that looks down on Time Square/Broadway.  I even walked to the Ed Sullivan Theater,  between West 53rd and West 54th,

(Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, Two Times Square, 714 Seventh Ave at W. 48th Street)

On that same trip, I also stayed a night at the Algonquin Hotel at 59 W 44th St, just for the experience.  The Algonquin is a Marriott property with the Round Table Restaurant and Matilda the Cat.  I really enjoyed my stay and the attention they gave me for my birthday.

I was able to drag my suitcase through the streets from the Algonquin to the Renaissance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

insertcoffee Platinum

I love the Algonquin merely for the literary and other history, even if not staying, just to have lunch at the RT. I don't typically stay near TS for many reasons, but it is worth it to stop in.

libralady Silver

Just read your entire note and see that you don't like Time Square. I don't like the crowds either, but I think the hotel was nice enough that I could take the crowd for a day or two.

seatexan Platinum

Personally I really liked the hotel.  I stayed in April. 

Here is my review:

Great hotel, wonderful staff, fantastic location - Review of Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel, New York City, NY - TripAdvisor

IAHFLYR has a good review somewhere on here about the Marriott East Side hotel.  It's older but has a lot bigger rooms!

Here is the link to the M-club reviews I posted on this site:

Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

I went back and forth on so many hotels in New York!  But Herald Square is such a great location.  I wasn't a fan of Times Square eather.

ppezzano Platinum

Thanks SeaTexan - I've also thought about the Marriott East Side, as well as the Renaissance on 57th for alternatives.

librarylady Yeah, don't get me wrong I've spent plenty of nights and time in times square and am fine with it.  Just not my preference.  I actually don't mind the crowds, just not as great of an area to get out and do things - a little too Disney and the food is often too cookie cutter.  A few times for an experience, great - after a dozen trips to NYC in the last few years, I just assume save myself the hassle and skip it all together.  Not hating though, I know people love Times Square and my first few times, I did as well.

Anyone know why they are not taking reservations when other hotels will?  carat or AndrewT maybe have some insight?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for tagging me in ppezzano!  Not completely sure why they wouldn't be taking reservations for June, so I've reached out for some clarity and will let you know what I'm able to find out. 

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

If it helps, ppezzano, here's an old data dump to give you some more ideas: NYC - Market Pricing

I'm with IAHFLYR, we also like the Marriott East Side.

And, if you're traveling without kids, many of agree that one the best kept secrets in the city is the Renaissance 57 - Need NYC Advice- Marriott East Side or Renaissance 57 at Holidays?

ppezzano Platinum

Thanks ssindc!

Still sounds like Renaissance Midtown would be the best bet for my situation - but the info on knowing the Renaissance 57 and Marriott East Side are viable alternatives is helpful.

ozmodiar Gold

I stayed here back in April and liked it as a good central location - it is very close to Penn Station so is a good hub for the subway which is helpful if heading in various directions (I was heading down to Tribeca and up to a Yankee game the same weekend). Thought the rooms were nice, staff was friendly.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi ppezzano,

Rooms at this hotel have not been loaded into the system for that far out yet. They may have the rooms open to book at the end of this month, so be sure to check back at that time.

homoviator Platinum

I just changed a booking I had from 5 nights in Times Square Ren to the Mid town Ren. Everyone in my party, especially my person who has the NY connections, agreed that the Mid town is a better choice for our needs. I'm looking forward to my stay in about 1 month. I'll report back when I'm done.

monisame Platinum

You will spend a wonderfull stay there. Being there in july and is really fantastic. Brand new,  and personal staff is wonderfull. Rooms pretty small, but comfortable in anyway. Breakfast at Lounge is huge.  Choose a room wihch  faces the river, I was able to see the Statue of Liberty from there.

Jsucool76 Gold

I considered staying here for my trip coming up in october, but was a little turned off by their transparent shower walls and doors. Let me know how it is though. If I'm ever travelling to NYC solo it could be an option for me.

monisame Platinum

Yes the walls and doors of the shower are transparent but you dont see through

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...