6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2016 2:57 PM by californian RSS

King bed to double beds on points reservation

researchmtravel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a Platinum rewards member.  I am interested in reserving a Ritz Carlton room using my reward isorpoints. The only reservations available are with King only.  We are a family of 3 and need two double beds.  If I reserve the King will I be able to switch to double beds at check in given I am Platinum?  Travel is at a moderately slow time of year... but would still expect to be busy but not sold out.  When I try to reserve for 3 people no options come up.  Any advise on taking the risk?  It is the hotel we really want to go to.  We used points there a few years ago and loved it.... but had two double beds for our point reservation. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: King bed to double beds on points reservation
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I would suggest you phone the hotel and ask.  I have always found that speaking to a real person, rather than hoping for the best, works better.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great suggestion, @tommo781. Getting in touch with the hotel will be the best route to take here. researchmtravel, feel free to reach out to myself or any of the other Community Manager if you need any additional assistance!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I think some ritz properties charge more for rooms with 2 beds so they may not show up for the points reservation as it would not be considered a standard room. Like other said, call the property and ask if they could upgrade you to the 2 beds. Also they may be sold out if you search with cash payment option and the 2 beds room option doesn't appear.

Jsucool76 Gold

This may very likely be the case. The hotel probably views rooms with 2 beds as an "upgrade" and may only set aside a few rooms at that award rate for redemption, or may not offer them for redemption at all. Best bet, as was said, is calling the hotel directly, or reaching out to them via email/social media. I always prefer email/social media, as then i have a written account of everything that transpired in case anything is to go awry.

If they do view rooms with 2 beds as an "upgraded" room type, ask if they'd be willing to upgrade you in advance of your stay. I have had luck with this in the past while trying to secure award reservations. I tend to book the cheapest option and then shoot off emails to the hotel requesting advance upgrades.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You can also change your bed type preference in your profile section under "Room Options" of your online Rewards account to "2 Double Beds" and save it.  Then do your search and you should find that option available if they have inventory during the dates you want.  After you reserve the room go back and put the "Room Options" to what you use most often.

That has always worked for me when I need to have other than my preferred "King Bed".

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Call platinum reservations.  I have had them change bed type for me more than once.  However, I have had some times that they can't change it either because it is not available or it is at a different price.  For the later, offer to pay the difference and done.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...