38 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2016 6:21 PM by boomer RSS

Are your travel plans changing for the Fall 2016 MegaBonus?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Now that we know what the MegaBonus will be, will it affect your plans on how many nights/stays you make?

• For an infrequent traveler who chose the 5,000 points after two stays, are you adding a second stay so you can earn those points?
  • If you chose the 10k points per 10 nights, are you adding nights to hit the next tier of 10 (20, 30, etc.)?
  • Are you shifting some of your stays away from Marriott to take advantage of more lucrative promotions by other companies?
  • Will it not affect your plans at all?

What's your strategy for the upcoming MegaBonus?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are your travel plans changing for the Fall 2016 MegaBonus?

I've chosen the 10k for 10 nights option. Already I have 13 nights booked with 3 more I'll almost certainly add. Depending on how things work out in December and January, I could have 1 or 2 more.

I will earn 10,000 points for sure. If I get to 18 or 19 nights (not certain yet), I'll consider adding that last night or two if I can find a great rate. If it looks like there is no way I'll make it to 18 nights, I see no reason to try for 20. I'll just stick with my 10,000 points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vickisocal Platinum

This is the worst MB they have ever offered on a point/night comparison.

We will be staying at Marriott even less than we have been recently.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I have an outside chance of getting to 20 nights with 16 nights confirmed thru end of this year.

I agree with others that this is not the best bonus they have done offered, but the 16 nights I have will at least get me 10K points....

lauriet Platinum 2 Reviews

as a Lifetime Platinum Premier member who travels two-three nights a week on business, I feel insulted by this Fall Mega Bonus offer. It isn't an incentive at all! To only earn 1000 points per night in increments of ten nights...not motivating at all. What if I can only stay 19 nights...all I get is 10,000 extra points????? Are you kidding me?

Since Hilton Honors is offering double points on all stays through the end of the year, I find that Hilton has my loyalty for the next four months. Especially when you factor in meals and parking, with the total spend, the rewards are far better. Even if the redemptions are about double that of Marriott. COME ON MARRIOTT! STOP BEING CHEAP!!

2queenbeds Platinum

Yes. My travel plans are changing. I took the 5000 points for just 2 nights and changed my remaining 15-17 2016 leisure nights from Marriott to SPG, Hilton, and Hyatt.

Just as Marriott likely devised this "Mega" bonus plan around what they thought made good business sense for them, I feel compelled to arrange my travel plans around what makes the best "business" sense for me. It seems smarter to take advantage of the best promotions available to me, and for once, Marriott's Mega Bonus wasn't it.

I don't get points for my business stays, nor do I get a choice of where to stay for business, so only my leisure plans are changing.

I do love Marriott, though. They've been my go-to brand for years.

arbman Platinum

I'm not seeing a new promotion!  What's going on?  I didn't get spring either.  Platinum with 147 nights with another 15+ likely.  Do I need to contact Marriott?

2queenbeds Platinum

I don't have the promotion on my Marriott webpage either, arbman. I don't think any of us do. I think we all just know about it because we saw it here on Rewards Insiders. There's a link on that thread that you can use to sign up for your choice of 2 different offers.

superchief1 Platinum

I will be staying at Hilton properties (HGI or Homewood) due to their double points bonus promotion, unless I can get Renaissance or FS Marriott with a rate that meets our corporate guidelines. The Megabonus provides an incentive to shop elsewhere.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Like others here, the uninspiring MiniBonus has led me to cancel some Marriott nights, but not to Hilton, instead mine are going over to IHG to take advantage of my IHG 50,000 points for 7 nights promo which really is MEGA!!!

Overall I expect to stay around 20 nights during the MiniBonus period, but at least 7 will be with IHG, so yes, Marriotts MiniBonus has changed my behaviour, though not in a way beneficial to Marriott!

nationwide Platinum

bejacob - I might have preferred to answer your question behind a relatively anonymous poll, as I am still a bit embarrassed by my answer.  I will hit my currently targeted 20 nights with Marriott.   However, after that, I am either paring back my plans, or I am going to give IHG a try.  That's new for me, as I had never signed up with IHG until this Mega Bonus posted.  As a Lifetime Platinum, this is a big disappointment because I have always been incredibly excited for my travels this time of year. 

Don't feel bad nationwide. This promotion is going to drive a lot of folks elsewhere. As MegaBonuses go, it's the worst we've seen. I've done most of my traveling for the year, including maxing out the spring and summer bonuses. If I get to 20 nights this time, that's as good as it could get.

I already know I won't be earning much for next spring's promotion. I'll be redeeming 10 nights right in the middle, so my paid stays during that stretch will be minimal. No sense in chasing bonus points. The return is just not worth it. I won't be going elsewhere, but this promotion will not encourage me to add nights at Marriott like some past bonuses have done.

mustanggt Platinum

This megabonus will not cause me to travel any more or any less.  I will probably have 12-15 nights between now and the end of the bonus, but the bonus does not inspire me to reach for 20 nights.  The 10,000 points will be nice to get, but I was hoping for a bigger yearend bonus.

peymanagement Platinum

I don't think I will change plans. I have 17 nights booked so will probably just get the 10000 points. I am going to throw in a couple of Hilton's but I cant blame that on the Megabonus, I just want to try out my diamond status before I get busted to gold again. I have 2 cat 5 certs to use before the end of the year as well, so the weak megabonus is not going to affect me much.

monisame Platinum

I will probably have 20 nights between november and january 15 th. If I want to achive points we I have to avoid staying at Residence In . I read that this chain and TowmePlace Suites are not in.????  so I will need to change my plans to get the points. Is that correct. ??? Thanks

peymanagement Platinum

is that true??

Not true. Those two brands do only earn 5 points per dollar spent instead of 10 points per dollar like other brands, but nights/stays at these brands do count toward the MegaBonus the same as any other.

If you choose to avoid those brands due to the lower earning rate, that's one thing. It is, however, completely unrelated to the MegaBonus.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I signed up for the 10 nights and have not yet changed any travel plans to meet that number of nights, but travel plans this time of year normally have some last minute trips that show up just not for the incredibly lame MB.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I have exactly 10 nights booked if nothing gets changed, but I might have to adjust downwards.  Hmmm....

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

What is the deadline to sign up for this?  Anytime during the timeframe, or before it kicks off?

malleymal Platinum

Not excited about this mega bonus.  Contacted hilton and they are willing to give me their platinum equivalent and also sign me up for the double points promotion.  I have to think this one through.  I have been Marriott only for all of my work travel life and don't know anything else besides marriott.  This may change my mind.  I have only booked a couple of nights for this travel season, so I have to make a choice soon.  hopefully they fix this.

kohlerclan Platinum

I just did the same thing this morning malleymal and like you, have been almost exclusively Marriott for as long as I can remember.   I think I have maxed just about every Marriott promo for the last 10 years but the goalpost is too far away on this one and 10 night increments almost certainly means I would leave nights on the table.  As such I am moving a good number of nights over for the remainder of this year.

insertcoffee Platinum

I've not made my selection yet. The program does not even kick off for another week, and end of Q3/all of Q4 is usually a roller coaster of last minute travel and bookings for me.

As always, I will try to maximise stays at Marriott. If I have to be somewhere without one, well, it would not be my preference, but will have to deal with that when it happens.

I really wish so many people had not complained so much about the certs and said how 'worthless' they were.  I quite liked them, thought they were significant value add,  and wish they were available with this.

jgerard Platinum

We've completely changed our stay plans for this session.  We had 14 nights planned, which I assumed in MegaBonus' of years past, would mean a 15 paid night goal, and possibly pushing to 20 if it was worth it.  Instead, my wife and I are booking alternating nights over 2 weekends to max out the 2 stays for 5K points each.  I've switched a 7 night paid reservation to a points stay over Christmas break.  I have a travel certificate I wanted to save for the summer, but who knows what the future will bring, so I'll use it now.  The remaining 3 nights are switching to IHG and I'm upping them to 6 so I can get their 47K point offer for 6 nights worth of stays.  My 10 year old is devastated as he is the biggest Marriott fan out there, but so be it, business is business for both sides.

Come to think of it, it's probably a win for them.  With our favorite MegaBonus' of years past, we would have had 8 paid nights for 4 travel certificates.  They lose 4 paid nights, but only give out 10K worth of points instead of 4 free night certificates.  But is it good to allow temptation for those like us who have stayed a whopping 5 nights at non-Marriott hotels over the past 4 years?

kanerf Platinum

Sure did.  Switched the bulk of my stays to Hyatt to pick up their 70K promotion.  Will still get 20K from Marriott during the promotion.

phi506 Platinum

Completely changed my plans.  I will achieve lifetime platinum next week before the promotion begins and as soon as I do it will be Hilton for the rest of the year.  This is not a megabonus, it is a slap in the face to the most loyal customers.  If Hilton treats me well I may never be back. 

I hope the folks in charge of the MegaBonus are noticing how many people are shifting nights away from Marriott to other companies that are offering far better promotions. Almost no one is thinking about adding nights at Marriott.

This is a perfect example of mismanaged expectations. The MegaBonuses have been getting somewhat weaker over time, so perhaps we shouldn't have been surprised. And still we got the worst MegaBonus ever seen. It's no wonder so many people are looking elsewhere.

I thought bonus points (and MegaBonus in particular) were supposed to encourage us to stay more nights at Marriott. This promotion seems to be sending people to other chains. Nice job, Marriott.

zunilily46 Platinum

I haven't received anything or any new offer either. Should I call MR.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I could probably hit either one, but since most of travels these days have no Marriott coverage I played it conservative and went for the two stays.

I had a 4 night stay coming up and was planning to stay off-brand and use another credit card to get the 4th night free, but this edged me over to splitting it to two two-night stays at Marriott properties using my Marriott Visa.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Actually, I hope to travel a bit this fall, but it will be mostly on points, so I don't know whether I shall gain any benis from this promotion.  I am now cancer free and can begin to make up for 10 months of missed travel, but I shall see what the future brings regarding this Megabonus.

boomer Platinum

Funny, nothing on my account about the MegaBonus.  I clicked on the link and registered and then checked my account again.  Still no mention of registering for the MegaBonus.

homoviator Platinum

short answer, yes it does. I'm a sucker for these things.

I have about 15 nights planned, going to try to stuff in another 5 stays.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...