21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2016 8:57 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Marriott - Starwood App Linking

droma Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I received a "placeholder" update on my Marriott app today.  Didn't pay much attention but then came across this post on Points Guy:

Marriott/Starwood Account Linking May Be Coming Soon

Interesting that they'd already be putting a placeholder in for this before Chinese approval.  I still don't think the programs will be completely combined for a couple of years, but this could be the first step in getting reciprocal benefits or even point combining more quickly than anticipated.  What do you think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott - Starwood App Linking
    seatexan Platinum

I checked to see if my app was uptodate and it is.  Nothing new on mine.  I do have a SPG acct with zero points

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

droma Platinum

Weird, but now the Marriott App has been pulled out of the App store in searches.  Maybe the picture got pushed a little early?

seatexan Platinum

OH!  Sneak peek! 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Just checked the Play Store on my Android and it has the Marriott Mobile App showing and the app is working fine.

droma Platinum

I still can't see it on Apple's App Store...anyone else having the same problem?

monisame Platinum

Me !!!!

seachi Platinum

Wish this meant the merger approval was imminent, but am guessing the app development team had this mocked up and released screenshots/new version of the app on accident. It's happened to other apps too - where a beta version is uploaded to a stable channel, etc.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm hoping that Marriott will count SPG Nights towards Marriott Lifetime status once the accounts are linked.

droma Platinum

Hopefully nights and points!  I only have a handful of nights with Starwood but jumped on the 35K sign up bonus for the SPG Amex.  Hoping that converts at a nice ratio and can give me a points boost towards lifetime.  (Also very strongly hoping they don't favor Starwood's scheme once merged and go back to having a # of years requirement).

nationwide Platinum

vaboywnder - I hope you are right too.  If the recent Delta acquisition is any indication though, we may be disappointed.  The Delta nights did not count for lifetime status.

droma Platinum

Very true, but I think with the magnitude of the Starwood deal and strength/loyal following of the SPG program Marriott will be forced to treat the two as equals and not risk losing people that have hundreds of lifetime nights with Starwood and few with Marriott.

nationwide Platinum

droma, I certainly hope you are right.  That customer base is the value in this acquisition, and they should be welcomed with open arms.  I have a number of nights with Starwood myself, and I'd like to see those combine.

YogiB Platinum

Delta was a small chain and the Delta Privilege program had no chance of survival with the acquisition by Marriott.

However, Marriott won't be able to get away with just dropping the SPG program with "just use all you got within the next few months if you don't want to lose it"; there will be too many clients/members worldwide to be scandalized and it will end up hurting to much.

If ever the two programs merge, I think we'll see something completely new: the elite levels may be redrawn, possibly the name may change and accounts must be merged.

Jsucool76 Gold

I don't have any SPG nights, but I do have SPG gold status, so marriott should give me free platinum when they merge.

I might actually be able to hit platinum now though, as I get 15 nights from both the personal and biz marriott card, big help there.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I came across this graphic on another travel website which reads "Three Programs.  One Reason: You"  It shows Marriott Rewards, Ritz Rewards, and SPG.  Marriott already runs Marriott Rewards and Ritz Rewards separately although the programs are essentially the same.  I wonder if Marriott now plans to keep the SPG Rewards program as a 3rd option separated from Marriott Rewards & Ritz Rewards.

3programs.JPG

insertcoffee Platinum

The announcements predicated on merger approval show that the programs will be run separately for at least one calendar year (SPG & Marriott), probably similar to how AA & US Air did business after their transaction, until the 'rules' of the new single program were solidified.

YogiB Platinum

Is this a test to see if we could pick up the "teaser"?

monisame Platinum

Good Point.

monisame Platinum

What will happen for those who don t have a SPG account. Do our status will count if we decide to book a Starworld Property???? Any ideas 

kanerf Platinum

I am hoping that the merger of points from the SPG and Marriott programs will be enough to push me over the top for LTP.  I currently hold LTS and am very close to LTG.  In my case I have close to 1000 nights, but not enough points.  I pay for my own travel, so I go as cheap as I can.

Jsucool76 Gold

About how many points do you need?

You can look into your premium travel credit card options (like the chase sapphire preferred) which can get you 50,000 ultimate rewards points that you could then transfer to marriott.

Other option are (what i call) your super premium travel cards, like the chase sapphire reserve, which can get you 100,000 ultimate rewards points that you could potentially transfer to marriott to get your lifetime points up.

There is also the marriott premier, and marriott biz card, both of which could get you a fair amount of points (if you don't already have them).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...